• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Nike Tiger commercial

Watching the Masters today, I'm not sure what to make of the Nike commericial where the nameless interviewer seems to be asking Tiger all that the tabloid following world wants to know. And Tiger stays expressionless, like he understands the nature of the golf-cluess public. I assume there will be a follow-up commericial that further says to the world that Nike is "there", behind their man. Should be interesting.

Anyone see that differently?

The man speaking in the commercial was Earl Woods, Tiger's father. I think that Nike felt the need to address Tiger's personal situation before they go back in commercials featuring "Tiger the champion" dominating the golf course.

Odd commercial. Earl Woods was as much a philanderer as Tiger is. He was a REAL piece of work.

Re: Giving the American public a lot of credit

This ad is being lauded as bold and creative. I have my doubts because it's also dicey as Nike is giving the typical TV watcher a lot of credit. While many are apparently ready to forgive, forget and move on to the next celebrity crisis, some like the Augusta club chairman Payne are not.

"Finally," Payne said, "we are not unaware of the significance of this week to a very special player, Tiger Woods. A man who in a brief 13 years clearly and emphatically proclaimed and proved his game to be worthy of the likes of Bobby Jones, Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer. As he ascended in our rankings of the world's great golfers, he became an example to our kids that success is directly attributable to hard work and effort.

"But as he now says himself, he forgot in the process to remember that with fame and fortune comes responsibility, not invisibility.

"It is not simply the degree of his conduct that is so egregious here; it is the fact that he disappointed all of us, and more importantly, our kids and our grandkids. Our hero did not live up to the expectations of the role model we saw for our children.

"Is there a way forward? I hope yes. I think yes. But certainly his future will never again be measured only by his performance against par; but measured by the sincerity of his efforts to change. I hope he now realizes that every kid he passes on the course wants his swing, but would settle for his smile.

"This year, it will not be just for him, but for all of us who believe in second chances."

The lecture, or sermon, came from perhaps the only place in golf that has nothing to fear from Tiger Woods.

PGA commissioner Tim Fin-chem couldn't have delivered it.

No player could say it, because Woods never forgets a slight.

Even Jack Nicklaus declined all invitations Tuesday to address the affairs of the man who's chasing down his record of 18 major championships.

Indeed, Payne probably said it precisely because no one else would -- and when someone asked him if he wasn't just a little disappointed that Woods had chosen the Masters to make his return from five months' exile, his reply said it all.

By the time Woods tees it up today at 1:42 p.m., Bill Payne's philippic will have been the No. 1 topic for fully 24 hours.

That gentility he was counting on may not be in the cards.

While this ad means to stimulate philosophical discussion about human frailty, yadee yadee etc. which is fine with me (because I don't need TV role models and am happy to just see brilliant golf play), it risks prolonged exposure to Tiger's personal life; exposure that I thought was intended to end with last Monday's interview. From where I sit, there are still many many country club members out there who didn't like (and now hate) Tiger because they love old white guys like Tom Watson or Freddy Couples.

I don't know..........will this ad work or bomb? :confused:

Easy there Tedroe ........... While race might/does play in some uppity country clubs, and Tiger marrying a blond bombshell may have added to this factor, race is not necessarily the issue among some in the bleachers.

Given his excellence in playing golf, many had "excused" Tiger's aloofness, ever controlling image, thin skin (as in oversensitive to any criticism), not so subtle arrogance and purportedly squeaky clean image. What he does in his private life would have been less important had he not be so flagrantly unabashed and worst so emotionally contrite and controlling in his purported "apology."

While we indeed like to give second chances after some sincere redemption (and more publicly from more famous people), I for one, am not buying his apology; but then again I am not a golf fan. And he doesn't need to apologize to anyone except to his family and to his fans - and every player/athlete needs fans - if they care to support him. While Nike has never shown corporate responsibility when it comes to chasing the marketing dollar, fortunately some other corporations see it differently. The timing of his apology, and his choice of reentering the scene at the Masters is clear that this has been all about him yet again, his marketing image and of course the dollars; not about golf though definitely the golfing world/entourage will pull more dollars now. But then again, it is all about marketing and dollar signs isn't it!

As your caption notes, I give kudos to Payne for transcending chasing the dollar. And yes Augusta may not be the forefront of social change; but at least they did acknowledge that there is a higher purpose in here - and some cynics may see it as implicitly race related:

"But as he now says himself, he forgot in the process to remember that with fame and fortune comes responsibility, not invisibility.

"It is not simply the degree of his conduct that is so egregious here; it is the fact that he disappointed all of us, and more importantly, our kids and our grandkids. Our hero did not live up to the expectations of the role model we saw for our children."

Oh, as for the ad, yes they did get people talking about it but I do find it distasteful.

Last edited:
I did not like the ad, personally. Too odd.

Its strange to see people calling tiger, or any athlete for the matter their "hero."

I think there are lots of humans with talent and skills but i've never referred to an athlete as my hero. I APPRECIATE the level of skill they have, but i don't even know them cats, they could be complete assholes. Well we know they are complete dumb-asses for getting caught. Thats my problem, all that money and thats the best you could do? At least fuck up in style. I'm broke and i ain't stickin' no, "waffle house" chicks!

Fortune and fame should have some responsibility, but to whom other than yourself and family? They are not raping these women. Every mistress in a sex scandal knows the situation. Tiger, Jesse James and some other rich and famous guys stickin a couple of chicks, that comes with the having money and power, thats been going on before any of us were born. Presidents, congressman, movie stars and athletes have and will be guilty of that. I guess todays media has to have something to draw people in.

Now male pastors and bishops having sex with school boys is what can't understand...............at ALL. Nobody is throwing rocks through their windows or flying banners of their houses.:rolleyes: Some of these men of cloth have issues.

Re: And the conclusion is............

Hrant, as usual, I'm scratching my head. :biggrin::rolleyes:

Oh, as for the ad, yes they did get people talking about it but I do find it distasteful.

Are you saying the ad will work simply because people will talk and Nike will be mentioned? Or, assuming you are in the majority, will it bomb because most find it distasteful?

Not that I care either way, I'm just wondering what a marketing-meister like yourself is expecting. :wink:

Re: And the conclusion is............

Hrant, as usual, I'm scratching my head. :biggrin::rolleyes:

Are you saying the ad will work simply because people will talk and Nike will be mentioned? Or, assuming you are in the majority, will it bomb because most find it distasteful?

Not that I care either way, I'm just wondering what a marketing-meister like yourself is expecting. :wink:

I won't take credit for this analysis but I do concur - wherever I read it - that the purpose of this ad was to get/gear Nike back into marketing Tiger, by first having "Nike" address "their spokesperson's human frailties and ask if he had learned anything .......... and to keep an arm's length distance, they did it in black and white (as a sign of seriousness) and thought using his deceased dad's voice was "clever" if not emotionally connecting with the audience ............. obviously the subliminal message is that yes he has (even if he hasn't) and Nike needs to move on in capitalizing on its investment.

And of course now the next waive will be to softly transitions into plastering his game (and later name/image) on TV commercials ...... and winning the Masters would be the icing on the cake for the "come back kid" ..........

Re: And I'm still scratching my head

So, Hrant, I got the Nike scheme for doing the ad, but what do you (or your reliable sources) think? Will it work or will it bomb?

And, if it works, will it work because you are in the minority (finding it distasteful) or if you're in the majority, how could it work in spite of being distasteful?

Do I have to take you out to lunch to find out? :eek:

Lunch is always good :biggrin::tongue:

My $0.02 is the ad will not sway anyone per se; I don't think it was done to garner sympathy from anyone on the sideline. I still think it is just Nike's way of putting their marketing foot back in the door because they have an investment. And one has to wonder if Nike ever included a "moral turpitude" clause in Tiger's contract - and perhaps even then they can't afford to lose him but I bet they will get a huge discount now! Morality/distasteful ads all have become fungible/marketable concept too based on how one spins them to their particular targeted audience - and there are "some audiences" out there that can rationalize anything ..... :rolleyes:

That is, Tiger is forever tarnished in the eyes of a few/some not necessarily for "an affair" but for the sheer number of them while purporting to project a clean family image - unless of course he really redeems himself with transcending into a major humanitarian and philanthropist/benefactor ..... and according to his trysts, he seems to be quite the stingy type .........

Others will gladly forgive and forget because (a) the money will follow if his game stays up and money is king; and/or (b) they care less about a person's moral as long as he excels at what they are there to watch/participate in: the game of Golf and seeing one who has mastered it. Nike wins both ways.

So it depends on which camp you are in :cool:

Last edited:
Flattirejpg.jpg

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Hf1WALHmNk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Hf1WALHmNk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

the parodies are awesome( now there is a bunch of shit ones..)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UwQLjZ7gEDw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UwQLjZ7gEDw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Great message these people send out to kids. Like George Carlin said, let me pick my own heroes, i don't need to look up to people who cheat on their wives and are backed by large companies, essentially condoning it.

He should have never gotten married......He's young and successful....girls are going to be throwing themselves at him. Why the hell did he ever get married so soon. I just don't get these athletes, if I was him I wouldnt even consider marriage until im in my mid 30s......by then he would have had his fun and probably calm down by then to be able to get married.

He's not the only one....in the early times they were doing it too but they didnt have internet, helicopters, tmz, and cellphones to be blowing it up like they do now.

I am not taking his side but he's not the only celebrity to be screwing his image up or mess around. Doesn't make me stop watching him play golf or me watching kobe play.

Move on, play on

He should have never gotten married......He's young and successful....girls are going to be throwing themselves at him. Why the hell did he ever get married so soon. I just don't get these athletes, if I was him I wouldnt even consider marriage until im in my mid 30s......by then he would have had his fun and probably calm down by then to be able to get married.

He's not the only one....in the early times they were doing it too but they didnt have internet, helicopters, tmz, and cellphones to be blowing it up like they do now.

I am not taking his side but he's not the only celebrity to be screwing his image up or mess around. Doesn't make me stop watching him play golf or me watching kobe play.

Move on, play on

I agree with this too!:biggrin:

Back