• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Concept at NY Auto Show - Pics

I agree with everything you said. However, that’s not how the public will see it.

When NSX was introduced, it was competing with the baby Ferrari.

When the baby Ferrari got better, the NSX became a 911 fighter but no one took it seriously other than the cult followers.

When the NSX became perfected, few outside of Japan got it. We here in the U.S ended up with the softest version, a version few in the rest of the world wanted.

The car the NSX was designed to fight is now on par with the greatest car when the NSX was introduced, the Ferrari F40.

So where is Honda going to slot this car in terms of marketing?

It’s going to be single model with an open top option, unlike the 911, it has the base model of $90K all the way to GT-2 for $250K.

People will probably compare the car to the R8 and 911 C4S, and by than they will improve even more.

Considering the fact that the R8 is already with 420 to 525HP, the NSX will be priced in between those two models.

So if Honda achieves the target of 3 seconds to sixty and top speed of 185, can they really expect people to leave European badges while those cars can almost do 200MPH. Regardless of what you say, people want that, it is a bragging right when spending that kind of cash.

Even as of today, those who used to flipped the big bucks for Japanese performance cars have been lured to European cars.

So my biggest concern is that if Honda keep this car in the 425-450HP range, while rest of the field is sure going to break the 500/600 mark (other than none FI 911), than how many cars will they sell? Keep in mind that R35 GTR is probably at the performance level of the new NSX and R36 is on its way.

So my biggest concern is that if Honda keep this car in the 425-450HP range, while rest of the field is sure going to break the 500/600 mark (other than none FI 911), than how many cars will they sell? Keep in mind that R35 GTR is probably at the performance level of the new NSX and R36 is on its way.

I think 450-480 hp will be fine if they can keep weight less than 3000 lbs. Honda can then release the R version with over 500 hp to compete with the best of best again. Honda's new marketing campaign is already making Acura and the NSX more of a household name. With the Avenger's emphasis, it's going to get even bigger. All Honda has to do is to make some smart commercials pitting it against the rivals when the time comes and suggesting that it can do it better than them with less and more efficient use of power. Have some exotic exhaust note and fast paced cinematography with the announcer claiming performance feats. The issue is that it's still about 3 years from now.

If Honda is smart, they will have the production version in Ironman 3 (due out in the next few years) to keep it consistent and have some other brilliant ad in between when new details arise to keep the momentum going. Hell, have JARVIS be the announcer and Tony Stark driving it. This commercial should air sometime next year when more details arise and then Ironman 3 should be out around 2014 with the close-to-production NSX 2.0 in it. 2015 NSX in showrooms at end of summer 2014. Honda, there's your marketing map with target dates for completions, let's make it happen.

I can personally say the Superbowl commercial worked wonders. I have had so many people approach me and ask if I will get the new one, knowing exactly what my car is. Of course my response is if I can afford one, sure :rolleyes: Before, it was always just nice car, what is it or is that Ferrari/Corvette?

With that said though, I hope Honda does not sell more than GTR numbers and honestly they probably will not with $100K+ pricing obviously. Honda will hopefully learn from the previous gen that keeping model refreshes every 4-5 years and not a decade will ensure sales consistency.

I agree with everything you said. However, that’s not how the public will see it.

When NSX was introduced, it was competing with the baby Ferrari.

When the baby Ferrari got better, the NSX became a 911 fighter but no one took it seriously other than the cult followers.

When the NSX became perfected, few outside of Japan got it. We here in the U.S ended up with the softest version, a version few in the rest of the world wanted.

The car the NSX was designed to fight is now on par with the greatest car when the NSX was introduced, the Ferrari F40.

So where is Honda going to slot this car in terms of marketing?

It’s going to be single model with an open top option, unlike the 911, it has the base model of $90K all the way to GT-2 for $250K.

People will probably compare the car to the R8 and 911 C4S, and by than they will improve even more.

Considering the fact that the R8 is already with 420 to 525HP, the NSX will be priced in between those two models.

So if Honda achieves the target of 3 seconds to sixty and top speed of 185, can they really expect people to leave European badges while those cars can almost do 200MPH. Regardless of what you say, people want that, it is a bragging right when spending that kind of cash.

Even as of today, those who used to flipped the big bucks for Japanese performance cars have been lured to European cars.

Honda has already said they're are not trying to compete with the 458 in terms of power. Times have changed and although the base price is $200k+ the 458 is now a quarter million dollar car. Hondas knows they can't price like that so why not go for the R8 market. "If" it outperforms the Audi at around the same price with better tech then there's their market.

If history repeats and Honda uses the 458 as a competitior like it did the old 328 they "may" bring a car that still competes well with the 458 successor. Only time will tell.

Honda has never tried to out brute other cars so why are we eventhinkingn they will this time.

I think 450-480 hp will be fine if they can keep weight less than 3000 lbs. Honda can then release the R version with over 500 hp to compete with the best of best again. Honda's new marketing campaign is already making Acura and the NSX more of a household name. With the Avenger's emphasis, it's going to get even bigger. All Honda has to do is to make some smart commercials pitting it against the rivals when the time comes and suggesting that it can do it better than them with less and more efficient use of power. Have some exotic exhaust note and fast paced cinematography with the announcer claiming performance feats. The issue is that it's still about 3 years from now.

If Honda is smart, they will have the production version in Ironman 3 (due out in the next few years) to keep it consistent and have some other brilliant ad in between when new details arise to keep the momentum going. Hell, have JARVIS be the announcer and Tony Stark driving it. This commercial should air sometime next year when more details arise and then Ironman 3 should be out around 2014 with the close-to-production NSX 2.0 in it. 2015 NSX in showrooms at end of summer 2014. Honda, there's your marketing map with target dates for completions, let's make it happen.

I can personally say the Superbowl commercial worked wonders. I have had so many people approach me and ask if I will get the new one, knowing exactly what my car is. Of course my response is if I can afford one, sure :rolleyes: Before, it was always just nice car, what is it or is that Ferrari/Corvette?

With that said though, I hope Honda does not sell more than GTR numbers and honestly they probably will not with $100K+ pricing obviously. Honda will hopefully learn from the previous gen that keeping model refreshes every 4-5 years and not a decade will ensure sales consistency.

Actually they will need to make more periodic changes like Nissan does unless they release a super stellar performer. LOL So much pressure.

There is no "baby Ferrari" anymore. They priced themselves out of that segment. The 458 has basically the same performance as the Enzo, which I think is a stupid marketing move, but it means there is no real F-car for Honda to target anymore. The 308/328/348/355/360 were great entry-level ways to get the Ferrari experience, but starting with the 430, those days are over. I think the R8 and 911 are better market segments to go after, as 458 sales volume is low at a quarter of a million dollars each.

Ok imshocked as sh*t to say this but just found out the Mclaren is also being viewed as a NSX 2.0 competitor. I'm sorry I can't say any more as Honda does check this site but have to say hearing this really stunned me.

I'm no longer making any engine or hp calls. Please keep it under $120k to start Honda is all I ask.

Last edited:
There is no "baby Ferrari" anymore. They priced themselves out of that segment. The 458 has basically the same performance as the Enzo, which I think is a stupid marketing move, but it means there is no real F-car for Honda to target anymore. The 308/328/348/355/360 were great entry-level ways to get the Ferrari experience, but starting with the 430, those days are over. I think the R8 and 911 are better market segments to go after, as 458 sales volume is low at a quarter of a million dollars each.

I'm not sure about that because of the inflation.

For example.

1990 348 was $100k.
1990 Honda Civic LX/CRX Si was $11K

2012 Ferrari California $192K
2012 Civic Si $23K

I think again it comes down to value. If this car is going to be priced around $130k, it will have to run with cars that is selling for $170k, that puts it in the Porsche Turbo territory.

Another thing is, if they share the 3.5L engine with other cars, they really have no right to charge that kind of money. If they do a stand alone DHOC high revving engine with performance spec similar to the S2000, then we the potential buyers will have that bragging right.

Only time will tell.

I'm putting my money away for one.

For all the people still complaining about hp I just checked out C/D new test of the Audi S6. 4200lbs with "only" 420hp 0-60 3.7:eek: That's pretty equal with the new "only" 400hp 3200lb 911.

450-480 with instant tq @ 3000lbs. Need I say more:wink:

0-60 is for wussies.

Back