• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Slow?

Lets be honest, yes they are slow. Compared to similarly priced sports cars, they are. But people don't but these cars to be fast. If you want a nsx to kill your speed craves then you're doing it wrong.

A mid/low mileage NA1 NSX can be had for right under $30K. I have driven cars that are more torque dynamic and higher displaced in the same price range new or used and none of them are clearly faster.

G35, 350Z, SLK350, Mustang GT, G37, 335i, Genesis, Camaro and whatever 3.5-3.8 Liter V6 performance car has either been bested by me or just did not feel as good as the NSX. The bar is still low 14s and high 13s in the 1/4 mile for most cars in the median of $30K (new and used). They keep gaining more hp but also more weight.

So how is a stock NSX considered slow for the money when it still meet these standards if not exceed them all in stock state in the same price range? Let alone, the quality of fit and finish (usually even condition), looks, handling, and rarity of the NSX is already far more satisfying than any of the cars in the same price range I have mentioned.

Slow compared to today's standards? Sure. I've got a turbocharged Gen II Viper, and if you aren't ready, the acceleration will give you tunnel vision. They are selling for about the same price as the NSX these days, so that is an option for you. Or get a sport bike and save the extra cash for another nice DD;)

To put things into perspective:
- Driving the Viper is like going to work.
- Driving the NSX is like going on vacation.

Sometimes it's not always about the power, there will ALWAYS be someone faster than me. Besides, out of the past couple months driving my NSX, I've had 3 people say, "Wow, I've never seen one of these in person." ... I've never had that comment with the Viper out of 12 years of ownership.

Good luck with the decision.

there is no relative here. It either is or it isn't. It's fast in 1991 standards but it's slow in comparison to whats out there for the same money. I was debating between a Z06 and a NSX but decided the NSX is what I'm shopping for now. I based my decision on wanting something rare and somewhat of a collectable. If I wanted fast then I would of got the Z06 for the same money. I love NSX but not because of power. I love my MR2 but when it was stock I considered slow, but im sure it was fast in 1991.

The nsx was just as fast as its rivals in 1991 which was a Ferrari 348, Porsche 964 911's, Lotus Esprit, was faster than the C4 vettes, and anything else aval from japan at the time even the twin turbo Z32.

All the rivals from Europe cost more than the NSX so was it still slow for the money?

Last edited:
I'm sure it was as fast as its rivals....in 1991. But I'm not talking about 1991. I'm saying if you got $40K in cash and looking for fast then there is a plethora of cars much faster in that price range.

I'm getting a feeling that some of you are letting your ego block your perspective on the issue here. The NSX is more of a car than to be fast. I think we can all agree here that most of you guys didn't buy the NSX to keep up with the majority of the cars on the road. You bought it because it's a incredible car overall than just 0-60. Its engineering is awesome, its build is above standards...even today. I am in the market for a NSX for many many reasons and speed isn't one of them.

Last edited:
Your wording was kind of confusing because you said that for the money you could get much faster cars ( I thought you were talking about back in 91 ). Well what Fifth Gear said in 2005 in their nsx good bye special sums it up best "When you see a guy in a NSX he knows exactly what he wants"

Hi,

I'm looking into buying an NSX. So far I drove two of them. Is it me or is the car kinda slow? I didn't take it on the freeway, just drove around the streets locally. Only hitting 3rd gear. Are the fast gears 3rd and 4th? or the cars I'm driving jacked up? Do I have to take it up to like 4k RPM and up?

BEEN three days now. "lazyboys" has thought highly of all your responses, and re-engaged "not."

lazyboys = sh-t disturber?

I am itching to buy one already. I love the NSX because of what it is. It is an awesome car and I like the rarity of it. Rarity, timeless design and not to mention how it holds its value is the reason I am going NSX over a Z06. There are much faster cars I could of had instead of my MR2 but I have one because of similiar reasons I want a NSX. Hell, I could build a civic with faster 1/4 mile times for what I have spent of the MR2.

mexiricer, im jealous of you. I've been looking and looking and cant find a deal anywhere close to what you got.

Junior, I don't think you bothered reading the OP's post.

Let's say you take a Corvette Z06 or a Viper or some other "faster" car out, and you are very very gentle on the accelerator, so that you get passed by transit buses and soccer moms in minivans. And then you get out of the car and say, "This seems slow, no?" That's exactly what the OP has done with the NSX. (We know because of his question, "Do I have to take it up to like 4k RPM and up?")

The problem here is not how the NSX compares to other cars. It's how you need to drive it if you want to accelerate fast. ANY car can be driven slowly if you want it to seem like a slow car. That's what he did.

You don't buy the NSX for speed. While it is plenty fast for legal streets, and even some fun on the track, it simply isn't a car to compare to other 0-60 kings or track kings. You buy the NSX for the intelligent design and great quality. I would love putting a coat of wax on the car just to feel the lines! Yes...it does have wonderful curves...not like a woman, but not bad for a car. Unfortunately, the car is a dude-magnet, haha, as I've been followed, yelled to at redlights, and greeted at gas stations by dudes all the time with compliments. It's a great car to drive as a daily driver actually, and I believe far better than many other sports cars for $30k ('91). Not "faster", but "better", better being quality, craftsmanship, innovation, and damn good looks. I do think Acura could've been better at evolving the car as the years went by, but it is what it is. Why Acura hasn't built a sports coupe with SHAWD now baffles me, as I feel they could compete well with the S5 and the M3 or A5 and 335 respectively...anyway, go get one and enjoy it for what it is.

Well, a used in -VERY NICE SHAPE- Na2, 3.2 NSX 38K + 15K on SC/Turbo + all the goodies = 53-55K ... that is one HELL of a deal for a car that looks amazing and could outrun anything after FI ...

BEEN three days now. "lazyboys" has thought highly of all your responses, and re-engaged "not."

lazyboys = sh-t disturber?

Funny Alum....and sooooo true. I like this one...:biggrin:

The reason we haven't seen him is that he is too damn embarrassed to write again - he's been pounded. Kind of like Snakey in his "viper vs. NSX" post.

Macenella - you said it for all of us. So did others here - you really don't buy the NSX for straight line drag speed nor do you buy it for current day track prowess unless it's modified. I mean we all buy our NSXs for many reasons but in the end each one of us that has one and "gets it" knows what it's all about - it's the overall satisfaction that it gives you. It's beautiful - nothing like it still today - not in its class for sure. First on the block in 91 for a whole heap of things for a production car! We all know what they are - AND it is still reasonably fast! I don't care what anyone says the NSX is not slow by any standards - no - NOT SLOW. It's not a super performer in the exotic class anymore but for a classic car and our 91s are just a few years away from classic car status btw, but it does pretty damn well for a 20 year old sports car - name something else built in 91 that is any faster really - not straight line I mean. Enough of the NSX is slow - you know anyone that makes that comment is just asleep - a sleep walker - not really here totally is he now? (rhetorical)

Our NSXs are as has been said time and time again - "they are what they are" and for most of us that's plenty! For those others - sorry but you either don't get, never got it, or just won't ever get it. That's ok - there is something out there FOR YOU.....get on about finding it.

But thanks "lazydude" cause we all live for this stuff don't we guys! :wink:

I'm not ragging on the NSX. It is a beauitful car that has quality engineering and design. I didn't take the NSX to its full potential, that probably why it felt "slow". I'm probably not used to the long gears that the NSX has. The next test drive, I'll take it to its potential. I'm pretty sure it won't feel "slow".

It seems everyone who wants an NSX only cares about how fast it is. If you are just looking for a quick 0-60 car, NSX is not for you.

I have mine for 7 years and speed was never a deciding factor for me to own it. I am not going to list all the great attributes other have already stated. It puts smile on my face every time I drive it - it is priceless.

Its not ego, but facts are facts. The NSX was a pinnacle of automotive in its days. It gave other top automotive makers (ferrari, porsche, etc) a HUGE wake up slap across the face. To top that, inspire the making and development of the McLaren F1, one of the most recognized and astonishing supercars even today, reinforced the very fact that the NSX is really something extraordinary.

Also, knowing everytime behind the wheel that the handling and setup of the NSX is exactly as how Senna, arguably the best driver in the world, wanted it to be. Coupled with its timeless design and lists of innovations (for a car designed 20 years ago), there is no other car with that price range that gives you so much WOW for the buck.

The NSX then is not a car you'll get for its speed. (for speed, get a ducati or something xD)

As a result, the NSX is a car that you'll purchase and treasure simply because it will make you look back and smile everytime you step out of the it.:smile:

NSX slow? ? I guess it depends on what you compare it to. But I suspect it is more car then most of us can handle at the limits.

I've seen on prime/YouTube the Black NSX with asperated engine doing 180 mph on the Autobaun.

It sure isn't a drag strip car... doesn't have neck/head snapping torque, but get it up in the (correction VTEC) and listen to the tune of the engine... ah, wonderful IMO.

It isn't a 200 mph + type car... like some, unless the turbo's and SC cars get there.

In my book any car that goes more than 150 mph isn't slow... no matter what the age... but then again, I'm getting older too :smile:

It is fast enough to do this:

http://www.10news.com/slideshow/news/15904481/detail.html

Which was a black NSX that was street racing in San Diego a few years ago.. it is on a thread here on prime NSX Crash in San Diego

Which also makes a point, not to street race.

Just my two cents....

- Rod

PS. Thanks guys for the kind correction... yes I originally posted V-Tech which is a wireless phone... Freudian slip I think... since I work with the word tech daily...

Attachments

• 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 3c.jpg
    3c.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 2c.jpg
    2c.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 4c.jpg
    4c.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
After how many decades, people still can't get it right... It's VTEC!

After how many decades, people still can't get it right... It's VTEC!

I thought he was talking about the cordless phone for a minute there.................. I kid I kid.

Modern cars have gotten much faster than they were generally in 1991. At that time, the NSX was the pinnacle of automotive engineering, and well ahead of its time. By the late 1990s, a horsepower war was on, that has continued to this day. Now you can buy a new Cadillac CTS-V Coupe with a manual gearbox and over 550 horsepower.

The NSX was never about maximum hp/tq. It has about 280 bhp. That was a lot in 1991, but not today.

It is an exteremely well balanced car, with adequate (as Rolls Royce used to say) but not extraordinary power.

Again, for those who aren't bothering to read any of the posts in this topic and are only replying based on the title:

Junior, I don't think you bothered reading the OP's post.

Let's say you take a Corvette Z06 or a Viper or some other "faster" car out, and you are very very gentle on the accelerator, so that you get passed by transit buses and soccer moms in minivans. And then you get out of the car and say, "This seems slow, no?" That's exactly what the OP has done with the NSX. (We know because of his question, "Do I have to take it up to like 4k RPM and up?")

The problem here is not how the NSX compares to other cars. It's how you need to drive it if you want to accelerate fast. ANY car can be driven slowly if you want it to seem like a slow car. That's what he did.

It's how you need to drive it if you want to accelerate fast.

Much like the Honda S2000 AP1, which needs to be kept between 7000 and 9000 rpm at all times. :biggrin:

I'm not ragging on the NSX. It is a beauitful car that has quality engineering and design. I didn't take the NSX to its full potential, that probably why it felt "slow". I'm probably not used to the long gears that the NSX has. The next test drive, I'll take it to its potential. I'm pretty sure it won't feel "slow".

Trust me, it will still feel "slow". Years ago I dreamed of getting an NSX. I read every magazine article and could almost quote verbatim the commentary. I ended up getting a chipped 944 Turbo S for a good deal and planned to trade it in on the first NSX I could find. It took about 6 months to find an NSX for sale at a dealer in my city. When I took the NSX for a test drive I was the most disappointed man on the planet. It didn't have the pull my 944 Turbo had. At that time I made up my mind that if I was going to get one it would have to be forced inducted.

I bought a CTSC 93 NSX and while I really enjoy the sound, look and feel of the car I know that even with 360 RWHP it still doesn't feel all that fast. I just accept it and if I want to go for a power trip I take out the 700 hp 911 Turbo instead. The sensation of power is massively different between the two cars.

Again, for those who aren't bothering to read any of the posts in this topic and are only replying based on the title:

I guarantee you if I drive a Z06 and barely touch the throttle, you will know no doubt what is coming if you hit it. I think thats what the OP meant. He was driving normal and it felt slow, completly different if you drive a real exotic like a ferrari or a z06 as you know it has power without even getting on it. Again, the NSX is not a power house and thats OK as thats not what it was meant for.

Back