• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX to Z06, A Long Comparison

I dont think there are a lot of inaccuracies on this board when it comes to the Z06 or the ZR1. They are both monsters. But you can't drive fast or race at the track all the time, so other factors must come into play in the evaulation process.

99.9 percent of the time I'm never in boost on my NSX. I like to be in 2nd or 3rd and above 5-6k then let off to hear the engine note. I like the view, the seating postion(plus the great seats), and the feel of the steering. And when the road is clear and no one is around then I may punch it through the gears.

Even with 412wrhp and 315wrtq, I can slam my foot on the throttle and bang through the gears (in any gear). I don't like having to feather the throttle so super muscle cars like the Z06 or ZR1 which you do have to be careful with the throttle have no appeal for me -- some love that out of control feeling.

I honestly have no idea what you're going on about. I welcome well considered opinions, talking about "saving what was left of your arm's functionality" because of an uncomfortable armrest is ridiculous hyperbole. If you think pointing that out makes it a snide remark, I'm sorry, it is just a fact. I'm not at all offended (and I have no idea where you're coming up with that) but let's be clear about what adds to and what doesn't add to the discussion.
/QUOTE]

beatdeadhorse51.gif

The NSX is all about refinement ..... the Z06, ZR1, Viper, etc is not period.

And I agree! Comparing the NSX and Z06 is kinda strange to me. The Z06 should be compared to the Viper, not the NSX. I'll have a 2002+ NSX to compliment the Z06 when I have the means to do so. That is why I am on this board, to learn as much as I can about a car I plan on purchasing. So no hard feelings here.

Last edited:
... Sure I like a fast car and the NSX is no slouch in that department......

I disagree. The NSX is a slouch.

I have to mash the peddle for the life of me to attempt to get a speed fix.

I can't wait for the SOS blower this fall so cptnsx and few lucky others are not alone....

Last edited:
I don't like having to feather the throttle so super muscle cars like the Z06 or ZR1 which you do have to be careful with the throttle have no appeal for me -- some love that out of control feeling.

Doesn't the ZR-1 have a fairly sophisticated form of traction control? I saw one on track a couple of weeks ago during a Viper Days event and it handled the low traction corners remarkably well.

IMHO, it takes a better pilot to drive a high tq car well - as you have to feather the throttle for best performance. Stock NSX's have traction control as a fundamental engine design characteristic (no torque) so it's a little easier to drive our cars at the limit. Unless, I guess, the driver is strictly a point and shoot type.

Your NSX has more torque than mine but even with my 278 ft lbs, 1st and 2nd are useless. So you may be better at feathering the throttle than you think. ;)

I don't know how I missed this thread...

I've driven Liquid's Z06 back to back with my NSX. They certainly feel different. There is a lot I like about his car. Frankly, I had a hard time keeping up with him around the corners at WGI. I was really at the limit of grip and he was far from it. The car is a monster in every way. And to me not unrefined either. Pretty comfortable and smooth. The things I appreciate more in the NSX are the steering, and the driving position/view of the road. That means A LOT to me. The NSX's view of the road makes the car more fun at any speed.

If I had to keep my NSX stock, I too would consider a Z06 (which is what he did). But with more power/suspension the NSX is a transformed car. You get to keep many of the pluses and negate some of the more serious shortcomings. For a stock car, the C6 Z06 is unbelievable.

..... The things I appreciate more in the NSX ....the driving position/view of the road. That means A LOT to me. The NSX's view of the road makes the car more fun at any speed.....

I just love the forward visibility of the NSX.

And how it envelopes me.

Like being in a space craft. It's very different.

I have long tubes, intake, street cam and tune and put down 530rwhp. That is ~60rwhp over stock. ZR1's put down around ~550rwhp and weigh ~200 lbs more. High 10's and low 130's traps is what my Z06 is capable of; I would love to run snakey and his 'mildly' modded Viper with my 'mildy' modded Z06 ;)

for all you interior haters on the Z06, a few material improvements net you this:

z06.jpg

I have to admit. . . . .I like it. Very nice work. Now, about those seats that aren't pictured. . . .:wink:

I just love the forward visibility of the NSX.

And how it envelopes me.

Like being in a space craft. It's very different.

This is the NSX's best asset. Often overlooked. It is very unique...

I disagree. The NSX is a slouch.

I have to mash the peddle for the life of me to attempt to get a speed fix.

+1. On my way to work this morning my charge pipe came loose (I didn't reattach it properly when I put my throttle body back on the other day) so I got to drive with no boost for about 30 seconds before I pulled over to fix it. I was like "SERIOUSLY, THAT'S ALL YOU GOT??!?" :biggrin:

+1. On my way to work this morning my charge pipe came loose (I didn't reattach it properly when I put my throttle body back on the other day) so I got to drive with no boost for about 30 seconds before I pulled over to fix it. I was like "SERIOUSLY, THAT'S ALL YOU GOT??!?" :biggrin:

Go stroker...that's all I'm saying. No worry about a charge pipe or belt coming loose. ;)

The C4 and C5 are not relevant because it is 2010, not 1995. I think my review highlights that if you were to take a true, fresh look and not bring a lot of bias into the equation, you'll find that the Corvette has evolved to the point where the interior is more functional (and therefore better designed in my view). The seats and quality of the leather is not as good as the NSX, but I think they are outweighed by the modern amenities and overall superior functionality of the interior.

Based on my criteria, it actually isn't even close in terms of which is the superior car overall. You honestly think a totally unbiased review would find the NSX superior to the Z06? I can't see it, and I've owned and driven both cars so I know I'm in a very good spot to compare.

Yes it is 2010. So really the NSX should not be relevant in your review either cause it is no longer in production. So in essence you failed already if you want to make that excuse. Compare the Corvette to something else that is "2010" lol.

There's only one way to find out which is viewed as a better overall car and that's by third party. Just post in other forums and get their opinions if you are truly curious. Do it in say, a BMW, Infiniti/Nissan, Ford and Dodge forum. I am willing to bet the NSX will come out on top if you just ask which one would you rather own or ask simply which one is better(and specify as in not the same as being which one is solely faster)? Or better yet just post and ask about the people's feelings on the C6's interior and then squeeze in the NSX if you want lol. I will admit that I am wrong if the answer is otherwise.

Actually there's a lot of other arguments if you care not to gloss over them. You're also making a lot of assumptions about me that show you're unable to have a rational debate about the facts. Using your logic, then a stripped out race shell would be the perfect interior because that way you wouldn't be able to store any messes and it would be so easy to keep clean! And no cupholders to make messes with!!

Give me a break.

I did give you a break, but your logic fails because you still don't understand the fact that a stripped out interior would not be functional (uncomfortable) and very horrendous and ugly. The NSX interior is elegance, as in refined and beautiful in its simpliest form. It does not need heated seats, a cup holder or extra storage space for your garbarge. A stripped out interior is not the same. So try again. Read all of my post and do try to make a smarter reply. Thank you, come again lol. O BTW, these are just jokes. It's your car man, eat and drink in it all you want haha

for all you interior haters on the Z06, a few material improvements net you this:

z06.jpg

Nice interior. The upgrades definitely enhance the luxury. I'm not digging the yellow accents, but it is looking pretty good otherwise. Trust me there is no hate. I know the C6's interior has come a long ways (so its definitely beyond average) but the artistic style is still not as fluid as it could be. I honestly would take the style direction and quality of the new TL's or G37's interiors over the C6. The detailing and pronounced(bold) language of these cars' interior are much better compared to the bit of plainful and safe(neutered) direction that Chevy chose and has been doing for a long time... I suppose that's why you opted to accent the yellow, but I do not think it works well in its current situation. Definitely different though.

Last edited:
all of the numbers point to the Z06, but at the end of the day the NSX just kills the Z06 on looks and exoticness...I drive by the Chevy dealership and see 20+ Vetts sitting up front and see at least two-three a day on the road, maybe not Z06's, but don't really notice the difference cuz they just don't turn my head...On the other hand I might see one or two a month the NSX and it always turns my head...I wouldn't mind having both, but would def take NSX over vett every day...

Doesn't the ZR-1 have a fairly sophisticated form of traction control? I saw one on track a couple of weeks ago during a Viper Days event and it handled the low traction corners remarkably well.

IMHO, it takes a better pilot to drive a high tq car well - as you have to feather the throttle for best performance. Stock NSX's have traction control as a fundamental engine design characteristic (no torque) so it's a little easier to drive our cars at the limit. Unless, I guess, the driver is strictly a point and shoot type.

Your NSX has more torque than mine but even with my 278 ft lbs, 1st and 2nd are useless. So you may be better at feathering the throttle than you think. ;)

I even have the short gears and 4.235 R&P. Now when it is cold in Vegas I will admit I have to be careful in first --- but just smooth when I start to apply the throttle --- that's it no feathering after that-- my car hooks and just goes.

I've run many 3.8 and 3.9 0-60 and I calibrated my Gtech-pro at the track to make sure its right. I am running the Falken 452 and I know they are not supposed to be great but they stick. I now have a set on my S2000 and they stick (as in straight line WOT) better than the old RE-01 I had. I also run around 32 psi in the rear on my NSX --- that helps too. Plus the condition of the road is very very important -- some road are awful for a powerful car.

Last edited:
Z06 is an awesome performer. I am still trying to figure out how I can transplant the drivetrain into my Porsche 928 if one day the Porsche engine poops. I would love to have a Porchev. Renegade Hybrid makes a kit for the engine but it would be absolutely awesome if the tranny can be tranplanted too. However, the Vette's interior is one cheap looking piece of automotive embarrassment.
Steve

Last edited:
I have long tubes, intake, street cam and tune and put down 530rwhp. That is ~60rwhp over stock. ZR1's put down around ~550rwhp and weigh ~200 lbs more. High 10's and low 130's traps is what my Z06 is capable of; I would love to run snakey and his 'mildly' modded Viper with my 'mildy' modded Z06 ;)

z06.jpg

That actually looks pretty good. Hey, you can't beat the performance of the car. Just reading that makes me want to get one. I would love to have a big V8 engine instead of a 3.0 or 3.5L V6. This gets old. I need something bigger that sounds better too.

I even have the short gears and 4.235 R&P. Now when it is cold in Vegas I will admit I have to be careful in first --- but just smooth when I start to apply the throttle --- that's it no feathering after that-- my car hooks and just goes.

I've run many 3.8 and 3.9 0-60 and I calibrated my Gtech-pro at the track to make sure its right. I am running the Falken 452 and I know they are not supposed to be great but they stick. I now have a set on my S2000 and they stick (as in straight line WOT) better than the old RE-01 I had. I also run around 32 psi in the rear on my NSX --- that helps too. Plus the condition of the road is very very important -- some road are awful for a powerful car.

Maybe it's my 4.44 gears, weight reduction, AD07s in my car then. B/c 1st is entirely useless and 2nd is useless until my speed gets up there. But that's part of the fun of it, feeling what the tires are doing and the attitude of the rear end. Being able to exit a corner and managing tire adhesion by feathering the throttle is a great great feeling.

One of the things I realized during the Viper Days event is how much better the C6 sounds (even the sc'd ZR1) compared to the Viper. Leaps and bounds.

I will admit that the Z06 is probably the better overall car performance wise, but everytime I go shopping anywhere I see like 10 of them. I can't remember the last time I saw another NSX around. Vettes are nice cars, probably the best bang for your buck, but a "dime a dozen." I wouldn't trade my NSX for one, especially with forced induction available. Just my .02

This is kinda relevant to the topic. My secretary just dropped of my October issue of C&D and the cover article is on "The Best Handling Car in America" and one of the cars evaluated is the ZO6. So I flipped over to the end of the article to see the results and here they were.

1. Boxster Spyder
2. Lotus Elise SC
3. Mazda RX-8 R3
4. BMW M3
5. Nissan GT-R
6. ZO6
7. GTI

The quick summary for the ZO6 was written as:

Highs - Huge grip, mightily potent brakes, balanced chassis, it's a track day animal

Lows - Woefully inadequate seats; unnatural steering and a general disconnectedness makes on road workouts no fun.

Verdict - True driving satisfaction unfortunately happens only at the track.

BTW - Props to the Mazda RX8. I had no idea. :eek:

Now if only C&D had added an 05NSX......:biggrin:

This is kinda relevant to the topic. My secretary just dropped of my October issue of C&D and the cover article is on "The Best Handling Car in America" and one of the cars evaluated is the ZO6. So I flipped over to the end of the article to see the results and here they were.

1. Boxster Spyder
2. Lotus Elise SC
3. Mazda RX-8 R3
4. BMW M3
5. Nissan GT-R
6. ZO6
7. GTI

The quick summary for the ZO6 was written as:

Highs - Huge grip, mightily potent brakes, balanced chassis, it's a track day animal

Lows - Woefully inadequate seats; unnatural steering and a general disconnectedness makes on road workouts no fun.

Verdict - True driving satisfaction unfortunately happens only at the track.

BTW - Props to the Mazda RX8. I had no idea. :eek:

Now if only C&D had added an 05NSX......:biggrin:

And the engines in the 1st & 2nd place cars are located where? :wink:

Jack

I don't get the "slouch" comments, you guys crack me up, my basically STOCK, NSX ran 150-153's all day on the standing mile, while Base c6's were running 160-163's .. I don't think that is slouch for "290HP" ...

26145_395550217000_645577000_4485007_1330051_n.jpg

Batman man, let's face it, your NSX is shot -not your fault, it came like that to you- ... you'll SC yours and still might be as fast as a healthy Na2

our cars are NOT SLOUCH, probably not as BRUTALLY fast as the newest high HP cars, but no slouch, that is crazy talk.

Oscar

And to be honest, I LOVE those Z06's and they were running mid 170's low 180's on the mile, did that bothered me? NOT AT ALL, both our cars are amazing!

Back