• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs RX7

The 1951 Alfa Romeo Alfetta produced 420hp from a 1.5 ltr.
Granted, it was blown with 30psi, but it was also 1951.

2007 F1 cars are a whoping 2.4ltr. I think they go fast.
Ya, they blow-up and need to be replaced often like some other motors:rolleyes:

The rotory is a cool motor, but if it was so far beyond piston power, why does Mazda only employ it for one model?

The rotory is a cool motor, but if it was so far beyond piston power, why does Mazda only employ it for one model?

The rotary engine will never be as fuel efficient or emissions friendly as a piston motor.

Also, while the piston motor has been researched and developed to death the rotary has... not. Not even close.

It's also not fair to qualify the 13B as a 1.3 litre. Sure, that's it's actual displacement but bike (2 stroke) and car engines (4 stroke) aren't raced in equal displacement classes for a reason. Theres more combustions per revolution of the eccentric shaft in a rotary than in a 4-stroke piston engine (crankshaft).

The 7 is lighter than the NSX (handling advantage) and turbocharged from the factory (power advantage).

It's cheaper to make a 7 more powerful to a point. While you can upgrade the existing 13BT you'd need to add all turbo components at once to the NSX block. This doesn't apply to very high horsepower applications, where the 7's stock equipment would all be replaced.

I have yet to drive an NSX but I can guess it's much better built and more refined than the 7. It was a bit more expensive, after all :tongue:

I plan to have a high horsepower 7 weekend car (not yet completed) and a stock NSX for a DD (to replace my current).

The 13B is not nearly as unreliable as it's made out to be in the mechanical sense. The engine is simply far more finicky to bad maintenance and screw ups.

I realize these are several unrelated statements :biggrin:

Being a former NSX owner (and soon to be have another), the NSX is not a drag car and never was meant to be one.... its meant for the track.

The entire car would have to be reconfigured for drag racing..... suspension, tires (drag slicks) transmission, many engine mods.....and a super stiff clutch to pull a 8.9 on the 1/4....

I would love to see someone do it though.
Try telling that to Factor X. Mid-high 10's at 140mph. They don't really reconfigure the car too much other than BFG Drag radials.

O yea, and they have won a few road-races with the same NSX too :wink:

It's also not fair to qualify the 13B as a 1.3 litre. Sure, that's it's actual displacement but bike (2 stroke) and car engines (4 stroke) aren't raced in equal displacement classes for a reason. Theres more combustions per revolution of the eccentric shaft in a rotary than in a 4-stroke piston engine (crankshaft).
I completely agree. Apples to Oranges.

The 13B is not nearly as unreliable as it's made out to be in the mechanical sense. The engine is simply far more finicky to bad maintenance and screw ups.

I realize these are several unrelated statements :biggrin:
They aren't that unreliable -when built correctly. A lot of piston heads get scared of the spinning triangles. Many failures are from poor builds and from oversights. Keep them cool and well lubed (w/premix if you are catless).

They aren't that unreliable -when built correctly. A lot of piston heads get scared of the spinning triangles. Many failures are from poor builds and from oversights. Keep them cool and well lubed (w/premix if you are catless).

Try the 2 Doritos on a stick analogy :biggrin:

Works for me, I've had my single turbo '94 for years and explaining a non piston engine is.............entertaining :confused:

....Handling wise I like the RX-8 better than any car I have owned. ...... but I also would not give up my RX-8 for the NSX.

John

I have to agree here.

My brother just picked up a stock '04 RX8 in blue and I could not lose him on handling.

We even swapped cars and same result.

I can't wait until he lowers it, throw some konis and run 275/35/18 front and back.

It will be a 1+G 4-seater.......

LoL, back from the dead!

All this talk about rotary motors is making me want one as a DD but I head the mpg sucks. Think it'd be a neat experience to have one for a little while again.

Speaking of, the RX8 made the cash for clunkers eligible list. Apparently the mpg is not so great with it.

LoL, back from the dead!

All this talk about rotary motors is making me want one as a DD but I head the mpg sucks. Think it'd be a neat experience to have one for a little while again.

Speaking of, the RX8 made the cash for clunkers eligible list. Apparently the mpg is not so great with it.

U should just test drive one.

U'll have a whole new respect for them.

yes the MPGs were never that good for the RX-anything.

BTW, I've seen pics of a 1000HP RX8 with Twin turbo LSx engines shoe horned in there.

The stock chassis can handle it since it's 80% stiffer than the FD, which is already stiff like the NSX.........

U should just test drive one.

U'll have a whole new respect for them.

yes the MPGs were never that good for the RX-anything.

BTW, I've seen pics of a 1000HP RX8 with Twin turbo LSx engines shoe horned in there.

The stock chassis can handle it since it's 80% stiffer than the FD, which is already stiff like the NSX.........

I test drove the RX8 before I bought the nsx. It's horrible with the stability control (whatever type it is) engaged. Once you click it off, it's alot more fun and pisses off the old overweight car salesman who will inform you he wishes NOT to die on a test drive. lol

I'd want an older one, like an FC. That's what I had for a very short while in Colorado before it got sold again. Cheap, works for me.

Bit of a change of the subject, but if you want a very NSX similar car (mid-engined rear wheel drive with LS diff) for a lot less cash: get a MR2 Turbo, preferably a Rev3 (1994+ japanese engine) spec which are quite easily tuned to 300 Bhp.
I have a japanese rhd one which I mainly use on track and every time I drive it, I am amazed by how fast it is and how much fun it delivers for a fraction of the price of my NSX.
I just bought another Jap Rhd MR2 Turbo which I will pick up next week which has a fully forged engine and lots of upgrades capable of at least 360 Bhp, very curious how that will feel........:tongue::biggrin:

now even the RX8 is as good as the NSX lol :biggrin: .... hey, A civic SI it's also a great car ... if I had to chose between the Civic and the NSX, i'd keep the Civic :biggrin::biggrin:

Sorry guys, But am going to go with the 3rd-gen RX7. I have owned one and a modified one to boot that made 430rwhp and was in the mid to low 11's in the quarter. Dollar per mod/ mod per dollar the 3rd-gen RX7 will win hands down. After my RX7 I have gotten into a TT Supra (PRE-FAST AND FURIOUS MOVIE DAYS) and built it to make 1100hp and could'nt get under mid11's due to traction issues:rolleyes: and then I bought my NSX. I never really looked at the NSX as a really fast car but more a exclusive, smooth rear-engined sports car compared to a Ferrari 348TS. I built and tuned my own cars back in the day starting with my 3rd-gen RX7. Now I tune Aston Martin's, Ferrari's, Porsche's and Vipers as a small private company. RX7 is a very simple design reliable engine (only 3 moving parts in a half keg sized engine) you just can not beat it. The rotary engine got its bad wrap from people and Mazda dealer mechanics blowing up their engines not knowing what the F**K they are doing and just replacing parts without finding the problem. It is a specialtly engine and only specialty mechanics should have been working on them back in the day. Germans engineered a great engine technology and was also used in some airplanes. If it was up to me Nsx VS. RX7 should not be compared, as they are two tottaly different sports cars.

=WingZ;795368

Actually it doesn't take that much. Lovefab makes a 500-700hp ( your choice )turbo kit for the NSX that's extremely reliable as does Factor X. I've seen vids of those guys beating modded Vipers and other cars so it is an area where quite a few people have looked into If FI is what you want to do.

I remember when that drag NSX came out and it was not that impressive:frown: compared to Vipers doing mid 7's @180+ mph on stock street trim (stereo included) and PUMP GAS :eek:

Draging a NSX is the last thing the NSX needs to be doing. By the time you build the NSX to compete somewhat close to lets say a Viper. It would not be a NSX anymore like the NSX enkrypt3d posted pictures of. It not a NSX anymore, let alone a streetable car.

Last edited:
I LOVED my 3rd gen RX7. It was sleek, small, light, and super fast.

NSX has more allure, but the RX7 was a better sports car. :cool:

I remember when that drag NSX came out and it was not that impressive:frown: compared to Vipers doing mid 7's @180+ mph on stock street trim (stereo included) and PUMP GAS :eek:

Draging a NSX is the last thing the NSX needs to be doing. By the time you build the NSX to compete somewhat close to lets say a Viper. It would not be a NSX anymore like the NSX enkrypt3d posted pictures of. It not a NSX anymore, let alone a streetable car.

Drag racing is so bizarre. Mid 7s, 6's 4's 1's. Strap a rocket engine to a set of wheels and fly in a straight line at 400MPH. Oh wait. They do that. Top fuel dragsters. Really... Ive just never understood the obsession so many "car guys" have with how quickly a "sports car" can rocket in a straight line.

Also, I have to say, I think this is a uniquely US phenomenon. It seems almost every other geography enthusiasts care a lot more about actually driving a car and how smooth and effective power delivery is on some sort of actual road (rather than flying down a quarter mile long straight line through a set of lights)

Now why the heck is this thread resurrected anyway?

Batman... are you on some sort of mission to discuss the RX7 on the NSX forum as much as possible?

You're like the new Alan Lambo!!!! LOL!

Last edited:
.....Now why the heck is this thread resurrected anyway?

Batman... are you on some sort of mission to discuss the RX7 on the NSX forum as much as possible?

You're like the new Alan Lambo!!!! LOL!

Why not bring it back up?

There current members and new member that appeared to be interested in it.

I like to hear from NSX owners that actually owned a FD and their opinions.

Not a boat-load of nomadic village idiots that give their opinions represented as some sorta fact about a car they have never owned or even been in.

-Arrogant NSX/FD/GTO owner

Last edited:
I had to jump in not so much to say which is faster,but to my fond and not so fond memories.When the car first came out I got an 93 r1,black.The car really got a lot of compliments and what the hell is it?I enjoyed the elemental hard edged nature of the car,,,,but the car never got full power from the second turbo,the seats were brutal on the back,the paint chipped if you looked at it wrong,and the car had evil oversteer,not healthy for a young buck.The center console facia liked to chip away its surface,but the trannie and brakes worked fine!

Let me bump what i said 3 yrs ago......In the end nice car but built to a price point 1/3-1/4 that of the nsx,and it showed.

He finally got some reinforcements so he's happy again. Also some baiters moving in. Oh well here we go again ..LOL

not really.

There are a few NSX owners that have PMd me and some that I have met in person that actually owned the FD and missed it for the performance reasons that the NSX simply doesn't give.

If people weren't so bent on spewing forth canine excrements from all orfices, especially the oral one, then we wouldn't have to go "again" at it.

Even the guys on the GTO and other car forums are much more reasonable.

Of course the V8 guys ONLY respect cars that actually have some serious HP with a flat power curve, both of which the NSX fails to offer in it's current trim.

The NSX is basically a pretty boy on a penal colony.

-Arrogant owner of flat power band cars + a Linear one

Let me state for the record and so as to give the sultan of flat power curves an opposing data point.....there is no performance reason that my R1 gave me that the nsx lacked:wink: BTW what the hell is a performance reason:confused:

not really.

There are a few NSX owners that have PMd me and some that I have met in person that actually owned the FD and missed it for the performance reasons that the NSX simply doesn't give.

If people weren't so bent on spewing forth canine excrements from all orfices, especially the oral one, then we wouldn't have to go "again" at it.

Even the guys on the GTO and other car forums are much more reasonable.

Of course the V8 guys ONLY respect cars that actually have some serious HP with a flat power curve, both of which the NSX fails to offer in it's current trim.

The NSX is basically a pretty boy on a penal colony.

-Arrogant owner of flat power band cars + a Linear one

No it really is the same old thing . No one disses the RX7 except when it comes to reliability. You even have a guy once again trying to blame the cars poor reliability on owners and dealers. They had problems right off the lot even car magazines doing tests confirmed this. This is a sore spot with you "FD" guys. You argue but best bet is to acknowledge and move the car has plenty of other great traits.

You continue to complain the NSX doesn't have enough hp and yet stock for stock NA2 still faster than the RX7. Then you go to price point and yes it costs more because more went into. It's a cheaper car in this regard so why keep trying to use that comparison?? Makes no sense.

Is the NSX easy to mod for power since it came from the factory w/o turbo's? Easy answer ..NO. So if you NEED a dyno queen or drag car there are better options elsewhere. If your manhood is based on HP again go elsewhere.

I know it may be hard for you to comprehend but there are people who buy cars because they enjoy them and not to please others. Tons of people also don't buy sports cars to compensate for anything we just like them.

You've made it very clear that you pretty much live on street cred and bought the NSX because your friend gave you a deal , but dude it's apparently not working for your machismo so sell it and be done already! Someone will buy it and you can go on with life.

No it really is the same old thing . No one disses the RX7 except when it comes to reliability. You even have a guy once again trying to blame the cars poor reliability on owners and dealers. They had problems right off the lot even car magazines doing tests confirmed this. This is a sore spot with you "FD" guys. You argue but best bet is to acknowledge and move the car has plenty of other great traits.

You continue to complain the NSX doesn't have enough hp and yet stock for stock NA2 still faster than the RX7. Then you go to price point and yes it costs more because more went into. It's a cheaper car in this regard so why keep trying to use that comparison?? Makes no sense.

Is the NSX easy to mod for power since it came from the factory w/o turbo's? Easy answer ..NO. So if you NEED a dyno queen or drag car there are better options elsewhere. If your manhood is based on HP again go elsewhere.

I know it may be hard for you to comprehend but there are people who buy cars because they enjoy them and not to please others. Tons of people also don't buy sports cars to compensate for anything we just like them.

You've made it very clear that you pretty much live on street cred and bought the NSX because your friend gave you a deal , but dude it's apparently not working for your machismo so sell it and be done already! Someone will buy it and you can go on with life.

When u compare a FD to a NSX, do the NA1 since it's roughly the same years.

FDs, NSX and other cars *cough* Z06 have had their improvements over the years.......

When u compare a FD to a NSX, do the NA1 since it's roughly the same years.

FDs, NSX and other cars *cough* Z06 have had their improvements over the years.......

They were still making the RX7 when the NA2 came out just not importing it. We had this discussion before as well when you were stating that the versions of RX7 not imported were faster that Type S , Type S 0 , Type R.

Honestly not sure about that last part. Please clarify.

RX7 is a very fun car but a NSX is still very different aside from the way the make and build up there power.

The real life facts of a rotary aren't so nice as the V6 they need quite a bit more maintenance and aren't so reliable so is there fuel and some times oil millage.

The NSX is a overal better and faster car although i don't know how a 91 NSX compares to the much improved 98+ RX7.

Back