• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Test pipes

Will test pipes make my car a lot louder. Are these something I can get made at a muffler shop or is there more to it than a piece of pipe with bends and flanges.

Yes they will make your car much louder. There nothing more than straight pipes. Check SOS or Dali website for pictures.

I have been on SOS why do they only make them for 91-94

because 95+ cars are obd2 which have o2 sensors downstream of the cats and the lack of cats would always trigger a check engine light.

because 95+ cars are obd2 which have o2 sensors downstream of the cats and the lack of cats would always trigger a check engine light.

There are ways to bypass the CEL. If you decide to get it, I'll help you out.

i love my test pipes

pep boys spark plug non foulers work wonders

You need to stack two of them together, will require to bore out on of them.

Check eBay, there is a seller occasionally pop a set or two for sale.

What do you mean

1. Go to kragen (or whatever auto parts store) get 2 spark plug non foulers. 2. Use 1/2" drill bit to bore the hole out on one of them.
2. Thread the bored out one into the intact one.
3. thread one end into the o2 bung in test pipe
4. thread o2 sensor into other end
5. profit

voila no cel and it only costs like $5 and a couple minutes to drill one out

Edit: I suppose you would need to do this twice since there are 2 bungs and o2 sensors. Still no biggie.

Last edited:
Did a search on the internet and came across this

"This causes less oxygen to be sensed by the sensor tricking the fuel computer into thinking the air:fuel mixture is richer than it is. This will make the fuel computer lean out the mixture so less fuel is consumed. It is recommended to use this modification only if other combustion enhancers are utilized so that a leaner mixture will effectively combust."

Doesn't leaning the motor rob power. And isn't it bad for the motor. What do they mean by using combustion enhancers.

Did a search on the internet and came across this

"This causes less oxygen to be sensed by the sensor tricking the fuel computer into thinking the air:fuel mixture is richer than it is. This will make the fuel computer lean out the mixture so less fuel is consumed. It is recommended to use this modification only if other combustion enhancers are utilized so that a leaner mixture will effectively combust."

Doesn't leaning the motor rob power. And isn't it bad for the motor. What do they mean by using combustion enhancers.

Thats BS...don't know where you found that. rear O2 sensors are purely for emmissions and have no effect on air/fuel ratio.

The point of spacing out the O2 sensor is so it gets less of a "whiff" of the exhuast...so even tho their is more oxygen in the exhaust its taking a smaller reading therefore reading a lower lvl.

Thats BS...don't know where you found that. rear O2 sensors are purely for emmissions and have no effect on air/fuel ratio.

The point of spacing out the O2 sensor is so it gets less of a "whiff" of the exhuast...so even tho their is more oxygen in the exhaust its taking a smaller reading therefore reading a lower lvl.

Yeah rear o2 is basically to see if the cat is working. The sensors that effect a/f are the ones in the headers.

Back to the original question, I put a sound meter on mine once. It was 6 decibels louder which is quite a lot. You WILL get resonances ranging from very minor to unacceptable. I will never put cats back on though (I hope)!

The one thing I love about my GTLW is how quiet it is in the cab at cruising speed but loud at WOT. How loud will it be inside the cab at cruise speed.

Anybody have sound clips of GTLW with cats and without cats

Last edited:
I don't have GTLW but the JGTC, it had more noise over 3000rpm and less, almost quiet under 3000rpm compared to your GTLW.

My test pipe make my car sound very very race car-like; it is very loud too. at cruising speed around 75-80 miles, I have drone issue which wasn't there with the cats... I noticed the rev up at the upper range a little better though. (my car ran little rich when I had the cats on, so test pipe might helped corrected the issue a little, hence I felt a little better throttle response...)

I don't drive my nsx that much and the test pipe gives me a ear to ear grin :biggrin: every time I passed under bridge or inside a tunnel.

I don't drive my nsx that much and the test pipe gives me a ear to ear grin :biggrin: every time I passed under bridge or inside a tunnel.

My sentiments exactly. They do make the car louder. It depends on what you want. I had a JGTC for a second. And with the test pipes on that exhaust.
My God it was loud. Too loud. Even for me. It was like you were running straight pipes or something. I've got a GT-One 5.1 now and wouldn't imagine running the exhaust with cats. You'll probably want to drive the car with cats, then without... to make up your mind. They make quiet exhausts sound good, and loud exhausts annoying. So I guess it depends on the exhaust you're running. I think the 5.1 sounds like pure sex so that may be the one case where the volume doesn't bother me so much.

That's probably the best sound you can hear when your windows are rolled down @ WOT. :cool:

I love my TP + Taitec GTLW.
At startup, they sound soooooooooooooooooooo badass!

At WOT, they sound soooooooo badass!
In a tunnel, my ears would pop with the windows open, and personally I don't think your average guy could tell the difference between it and a Ferrari.

In a tunnel..you'll piss people off in Mercedes with windows rolled up. The thing is loud!

In short, GET IT.

I love my TP + Taitec GTLW.
At startup, they sound soooooooooooooooooooo badass!

At WOT, they sound soooooooo badass!
In a tunnel, my ears would pop with the windows open, and personally I don't think your average guy could tell the difference between it and a Ferrari.

In a tunnel..you'll piss people off in Mercedes with windows rolled up. The thing is loud!

In short, GET IT.

Any droning, resonances, etc please?

I put my straight pipes back on yesterday... I was pulled over in less than an hour. 1st ticket since I was 16. (Going 45 in a 40) :mad: The exhaust may have got his attention.

Straight pipes $150
Speeding ticket $350
Listening to your NSXs exhaust - priceless

Comptech headers, intake, RM exhaust

I have these anti-fouler plugs (two stack to one another) on my 02 sensors. I just put may cats back on my 91 NSX and I need to smog my car.

Do I have to remove the anti-fouler plugs to pass smog?

Back