• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thinking about finally getting a gun.

jim,

i'm curious as to the reasons behind your decision to own a handgun. care to share?

thx,
hal

Not Jim, but I am also pondering a purchase, so i thought i might post my reasoning.

My company just relocated several of us to Denver last october. A couple of my work buddies and their wives are splitting a large town house about 2 miles from where I am living with my family- Sunday night they had a break in and were robbed while they slept.

the idea that someone could come into the house while my family and I are asleep is incredibly alarming.

I then check my favorite forum and see that Poohbear recently had a home invasion, and was able to avert the situation thanks to the presence of a firearm.

I came into the office today and mentioned to another coworker (former LEO) that I am thinking about going gun shopping, and was looking for advice. I was leaning toward a hand gun, but he asked me some pointed questions which resulted in me admitting that I am not so keen on actually shooting anyone. He advised against a handgun and recommended a shotgun, as any thief having heard a round being chambered would likely shit his pants and flee- which is my most desirable result. Ty also mentioned that if it comes to discharging the weapon the shotgun requires less accuracy to be effective. i am also exploring non lethal ammo (like bean bags, or salt shot)

Ty told me that children are far less likely to treat a shotgun as a toy- being as my wife and I are new parents with plans for more kids this is a concern for me (I will likely also buy a safe for the bedroom closet)

We will be shopping shortly- as with everything i will be weighing the pros and cons.

Door, and door frame material is also on my list of things to consider as we are soon to be purchasing a home here.

I'd much rather my house never have an intruder- so step one is making entry as difficult as possible.

P

Last edited:
Not Jim, but I am also pondering a purchase, so i thought i might post my reasoning.

My company just relocated several of us to Denver last october. A couple of my work buddies and their wives are splitting a large town house about 2 miles from where I am living with my family- Sunday night they had a break in and were robbed while they slept.

the idea that someone could come into the house while my family and I are asleep is incredibly alarming.

I then check my favorite forum and see that Poohbear recently had a home invasion, and was able to avert the situation thanks to the presence of a firearm.

I came into the office today and mentioned to another coworker (former LEO) that I am thinking about going gun shopping, and was looking for advice. I was leaning toward a hand gun, but he asked me some pointed questions which resulted in me admitting that I am not so keen on actually shooting anyone. He advised against a handgun and recommended a shotgun, as any thief having heard a round being chambered would likely shit his pants and flee- which is my most desirable result. Ty also mentioned that if it comes to discharging the weapon the shotgun requires less accuracy to be effective. i am also exploring non lethal ammo (like bean bags, or salt shot)

Ty told me that children are far less likely to treat a shotgun as a toy- being as my wife and I are new parents with plans for more kids this is a concern for me (I will likely also buy a safe for the bedroom closet)

We will be shopping shortly- as with everything i will be weighing the pros and cons.

Door, and door frame material is also on my list of things to consider as we are soon to be purchasing a home here.

I'd much rather my house never have an intruder- so step one is making entry as difficult as possible.

P
sounds like you've thought it out pretty well, good luck with whatever path you take.
hal
oh, and... good thinking on making entry as difficult as possible!

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger.

I paid ~$350 for mine w/ 10 round mag. Belonged to a police officer in colorado who got provided pretty much unlimited rounds of ammunition for it. This was 3-4 years ago.

My same exact gun is being sold in my local area gun shops for more than what I paid for mine. In other words, my glock is worth more now than ever before. $350 was a great deal then, and even better now. Just gotta watch for those extra charges you might incur by having to buy it online then having it shipped to your FFL, etc etc. Those fees can add up. It's only a GREAT deal if you can buy it at that price in person. The additional fees may end up killing the deal. Hopefully you read this in time.

Other than that, I currently get offered more for my gun than what I paid for it. My last offers were ~$400. New price around here is $500+ taxes and fees

Last edited:
Just gotta watch for those extra charges you might incur by having to buy it online then having it shipped to your FFL, etc etc. Those fees can add up. It's only a GREAT deal if you can buy it at that price in person. The additional fees may end up killing the deal. Hopefully you read this in time.

I wasn't killed too bad with fees. FFL fees were $35, plus $15 shipping - so my total was $399. This one includes nights sights and a 15 round mag. The guy I talked too said they had a ton in stock, many of which were in great condition, so he said he would look for a nice one for me. We'll see when it gets here.

That's not bad at all. When I bought mine at a gun show in colorado, my total came out to just slightly under that. Not bad then. You'll love it. I've shot a new <500 round glock 23 back to back with my well broken in glock 22. My opinion was the same as the 4-5 other guys there. My broken in glock shot better and was smoother in every way compared to the new gun.

I'm tempted to buy 500 shares of Smith & Wesson just for the hell of it.

CL65:

Are you willing to spend the time with whatever you decide upon to become proficient and comfortable with it? Most automatics require varying amounts of technical proficiency and should be practiced with enough to lock in some muscle memory. That HK had some levers and gee gaws on the slide which you will have to burn into your reflexes. I'm a Marine Primary Marksmanship Instructor and a Concealed Carry Instuctor- I know they're not really called gee gaws.

If you don't enjoy shooting and aren't willing to put some range time in to become proficient and thereby safe with an automatic, then pick up a revolver that goes BANG when you pull the trigger. No slide, decockers, safeties (or gee gaws), just BANG. When you need to, will you remember to rack the slide and de-cock/ disarm safety/ safeties? I hope you have the drill down pat. You don't want to "Plexico" yourself so don't even think about keeping an automatic hot with one in the chamber always. Lastly, if you do opt for an automatic, don't store the magazines at full capacity for an extended period to prevent spring distortion. Rotating mags too, if possible.

So much spot-on in this thread:

- I like eNeSeX's call on the Taurus judge if you are looking for Home Protection. It could shoot .45 special or .410 shotshells but it's really big. It's not a carry gun. If that is part of the mission then look at a Smith Model J series revolver like an Airweight. Something that shoots both .38 special at the range and the hot +P or +P+ in the real world. .40 is loud too.
- Vega$ nailed it too on the American Citizen thing. We owe our freedom if not our very existance to responsible gun ownership. This means means being a safe, secure, responsible gun owner making sure that it is in YOUR hand and for good reason when it does go BANG.
- Lastly, I agree with H-Car and I think that any reasonable person would seek to avoid confrontation and should take measures to accomplish this. The problem is, not everyone is reasonable and if you bring a knife to a gun fight you are screwed forever.

Much to consider. Why don't we go shoot, talk and then you can make an informed decision? You know, a couple of Primers hanging out? A PPI of sorts? Be my alibi with wifey to get out? C'mon, work with me here!

Now back to the hotest (sic) girl thread. AlleyKat is my personal hero...

There is great advice given and I think you should take curtsr up on his offer. It is always better to go to the range with someone who has experience in handling guns. I went with Hugh a few times and then with a few of my other friends so I could get an idea of what firearm suited me the best. I finally decided on a 9mm for home and carry, but I ultimately bought a .380 for my carry weapon.

Being a new gun owner I would recommend a crimson trace if you pick up a glock. If you feel somewhat uncomfortable at hitting the target this can help in pinpointing where you want the round to go. I have a glock 22 for home protection that I have tried to teach my wife to fire. I also keep a desert eagle if a elephant breaks in.

Assault rifles are fun too. Rock River, Colt are excellent
any 1911 frame .45 is super nice as well. Springfield, kimber, ect.
Good luck in shopping.
Any way that h&k deal can be passed around? :biggrin:

That is a really good deal on the HK. Sure wish it was eaiser to ship guns person to person because I would have you pick one up for me too.

Steven...what person to person transaction would you recommend if the ffl dealer on his end is trying to charge out the ying yang?

I have a deal going for 3 different firearms at this moment, and thats the only holdup...They want to charge 300 bucks for 3 transfers. 2 pistols and one long rifle.

Being a new gun owner I would recommend a crimson trace if you pick up a glock.

I'll second this. It is very handy and accurate and better built than the laser that goes into the spring guide. However, it is only effective at night and indoors. You'll still need to practice a lot with the steel sights and become proficient with them because you never know which set of sights you'll have to rely on.

You don't want to "Plexico" yourself so don't even think about keeping an automatic hot with one in the chamber always. Lastly, if you do opt for an automatic, don't store the magazines at full capacity for an extended period to prevent spring distortion. Rotating mags too, if possible.
I've said this before and I'll say it again. Keeping a self defense gun without a round in the chamber could be the difference between life and death. When you need to stop a threat, you don't have time to chamber a round. You need to point and shoot. Like the comment made by H-carWizKid about the sound of racking the shotgun, that stuff is only for the movies. If someone already has their sights trained on you, I'm sure the sound of racking the shotgun will intimidate them.

Also, magazine springs do not distort or get weak by keepin them loaded and compressed. They get weak by compressing and decompressing the spring. That means a gun that actually gets used will wear out the mag springs over one that only gets stored.

I wasn't killed too bad with fees. FFL fees were $35, plus $15 shipping - so my total was $399. This one includes nights sights and a 15 round mag. The guy I talked too said they had a ton in stock, many of which were in great condition, so he said he would look for a nice one for me. We'll see when it gets here.

Did I see your car on Saturday around 1pm?

Was thinking about chasing you, but my car was tired and not up to the task. 4 wheel drive can't keep up. :tongue:

Did I see your car on Saturday around 1pm?

Was thinking about chasing you, but my car was tired and not up to the task. 4 wheel drive can't keep up. :tongue:

It's very possible. I was heading to the Open at around that time. You should have caught up! I had some extra tix!

You gonna meet up with everyone this weekend?

It's very possible. I was heading to the Open at around that time. You should have caught up! I had some extra tix!

You gonna meet up with everyone this weekend?

Hmm sounds tempting. My tires are showing radial wires though, and needs some other TLC.

Will think it over, very tempting. Maybe I'll borrow Peiserg's car instead. :biggrin:

Waiting for Obama's NSX stimulus bill to pass so I can get my NSX serviced. ;)

I was told .22 ammo has become scarce since Obama took office. Apparently this is true? :confused:

Everything has become scarce! My regular source http://www.ammoman.com has been out of nearly everything for quite some time. Even guys like Cabellas and Bass Pro Shops have been slim. And that's even in ample 9mm! Good luck finding specialty rounds like Hornady critical defense rounds. Impossible! I think it's a combination of a souring economy, crime on the rise and Obama in the White House, but people have been stocking up like it's the end of the world.

Everything has become scarce! My regular source http://www.ammoman.com has been out of nearly everything for quite some time. Even guys like Cabellas and Bass Pro Shops have been slim. And that's even in ample 9mm! Good luck finding specialty rounds like Hornady critical defense rounds. Impossible! I think it's a combination of a souring economy, crime on the rise and Obama in the White House, but people have been stocking up like it's the end of the world.

The world is forecasted to end in 2012, so it could be possible? :tongue:

Seriously though, who ever is selling ammo and have it is feeling like they probably own gold right now.

I would recommend a revolver also. Easy to use. I have a .357.

Back