• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thinking about finally getting a gun.

Well, folks I think I am finally going to break down and get a handgun for the house. This will be my first gun. One of my co-workers pointed me in the direction of a special deal for Airline Pilots from H&K.

HK USP40 Compact LEM .40 S&W for $495 including shipping.

I know almost nothing about guns and haven't shot since going to the range with my Dad 20 years ago. However, there is a gun shop/range up the street from me. I plan on stopping by tomorrow just to check it out as I will need a place to practice.

Any thoughts on this HK deal?

Jim

Last edited:
Well HK does make the MP5 subgun which is pure sex of machine all guns. Your going to get all kinds of replies about which gun to buy, but to answer your question HK is a very nice gun. Food for thought, pick a gun that fits your hand comfortably. What I woud do is look/handle every gun your intrested in buying, then decide what feels best for you. Just because a gun is pretty does'nt mean it feels right in your hand. Yes I would own an HK.:wink:

Well, folks I think I am finally going to break down and get a handgun for the house. This will be my first gun. One of my co-workers pointed me in the direction of a special deal for Airline Pilots from H&K.

I know almost nothing about guns and haven't shot since going to the range with my Dad 20 years ago. However, there is a gun shop/range up the street from me. I plan on stopping by tomorrow just to check it out as I will need a place to practice.

Jim

Thats a really good deal on that HK. I too have a Compact USP40 and paid way over that :eek:

Here's a pic of the package I bought
IMG_1253.jpg

Last edited:
Well HK does make the MP5 subgun which is pure sex of machine all guns. Your going to get all kinds of replies about which gun to buy, but to answer your question HK is a very nice gun. Food for thought, pick a gun that fits your hand comfortably. What I woud do is look/handle every gun your intrested in buying, then decide what feels best for you. Just because a gun is pretty does'nt mean it feels right in your hand. Yes I would own an HK.:wink:

+1 It's a quality gun and a DAMN good price. Kind of like eye surgery,though. Unless you won't ever be firing the thing, don't let price be the discriminator. Spend a day at a range borrowing or renting a short list of common favorites to find the best one for YOU. The experience will tell you what people cannot.

Good advice. For example, I have small hands and chose a 38 snub nose as my home protection which seemed to fit well for my comfort. I was in the military and shot gazillions of weapons. I carried everything from a Car 15 to a 45 caliber grease gun, but they were all rifles. I carried a 45 side arm when I was in the service, plus my rife. I couldn't hit a wall with the 45. The only thing it was good for was making noise. It was just a big fat, heavy automatic that didn't work for me.

My humble advice, do it! On one condition, do not ever get comfortable around guns. That's how people shoot themselves/others (in my opinion). Hand guns are very easy to use, a few minutes at the shooting range with a knowledgable buddy and you will have it down.

My basic rule of thumb, always handle a firearm as if it were fully loaded with on in the chamber. Seriously, I take no chances.

Good luck,

Thanks folks. I am going to stop by the range tomorrow and try out what they have.

I just thought that this HK deal was a good opportunity. I could get a free one, but I would have to go through the FFDO (Federal Flight Deck Officer) program and it requires jumping though some hoops, attending the FFDO school (a week - run by ATF) on my own time and nickel. As well, requal every 6 months. I have a hard enough time keeping track of my hat when I am on the road, so having a gun with me would just be a PITA.

But I think it's about time I get one for the home. I have a cop that lives two houses down, but all he does is write the neighbors tickets.

Last edited:
The HK is a great gun, but if you're not real familiar with guns and don't plan on shooting it regularly, I'd recommend you consider getting a revolver. Pistols take some getting used to and have a greater chance of jamming and then need clearing, which can be tricky if you don't shoot it very often. Also, if you have a wife/girlfriend it can be very hard or impossible for some women to pull the slide back on a pistol where a revolver is point and shoot if they ever need it for home protection. I personally never keep a round in the chamber and my wife could never load a couple of my pistols.

Thanks folks. I am going to stop by the range tomorrow and try out what they have.

I have a cop that lives two houses down, but all he does is write the neighbors tickets.

I remember that thread. That was funny. Thanks for the reminder.

Enjoy your experience tomorrow. If you get qualified, does that mean you are able to shoot passengers like me?:confused: Will I always have to remain in my seat with my seat belt fastened? What if I have to pee?

Have fun at the range.:biggrin:

Also, if you have a wife/girlfriend it can be very hard or impossible for some women to pull the slide back on a pistol where a revolver is point and shoot if they ever need it for home protection.

I think I would prefer that she couldn't use it, so I wouldn't ever get shot. :biggrin:

Have fun at the range tomorrow! :cool:

As most have said, although the deal on the HK is good, finding a piece that you are comfortable with is more important. Try out a number of guns and find one that you like.

I used to go once a week to the Agoura range when I was in SoCal (conveniently, a block away from my work) and my friend and I would try a different gun each time. Ended up falling in love with the Glock 17 9mm.

Cool thing is, not only is it good to go down and get some shooting practice, if you're having a bad day, nothing is better than unloading a couple, 5 clips to let out some aggression! :biggrin:

Well...that or sex. :wink:

For home defense, have you considered a shotgun?

As for handgun suggestions, while you're at the range try the Springfield XD40 (they should have one available for rental), I shot one back to back with the Glock 17, then on a second day back to back with the HK USP, and preferred the grip and safeties on the Springfield over both of these other guns. I have larger hands, so many handgun grips aren't comfortable to me, but the XD seemed perfect; they also produce a compact and sub-compact version, if you're interested in concealed carry (you mention a compact USP).

Great price, do it.

My glock has been SUPER reliable and I think it is well over 10 years old if not 13 years old. Has been fired probably tens of thousands of times. I go through atleast 1,000 round per year.

Good for you! I think you are making a good decision in not only protecting your house and loved ones but insuring a feeling of security that we should all have (oh and becoming a responsible American Citizen!) The H&K is no doubt a very fine weapon. It is proven and well documented and you can't go wrong with getting one. However, I am very biased and have a heavy Glock preference. As such I must recommend at least trying out an equivalent Glock since both guns are very different yet are arguably the top two guns in that caliber. Once you shoot both, you will know immediately which one you prefer and feel more comfortable with. Here is a pretty good video that compares the two guns in question. I honestly thought the results were going to be the exact opposite. I was quite surprised (and pleased) at the results.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UJ9wXzhr_4c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UJ9wXzhr_4c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UZmVcR4CEk4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UZmVcR4CEk4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Get the Taurus Judge. :biggrin:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jl-ZIo-Wztc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jl-ZIo-Wztc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Jim
jim,

i'm curious as to the reasons behind your decision to own a handgun. care to share?

thx,
hal

That is a really good deal on the HK. Sure wish it was eaiser to ship guns person to person because I would have you pick one up for me too.

Spend a day at a range borrowing or renting a short list of common favorites to find the best one for YOU. The experience will tell you what people cannot.

Good advise.

Also, you may consider an assult rifle. There could be some appreciation on them with potential new laws.
I'm looking to buy an AR-15 myself. Not exactally easy to find these days though.

Last edited:
jim,

i'm curious as to the reasons behind your decision to own a handgun. care to share?

thx,
hal

Hal,

Originally, I wanted to become a FFDO so I could carry a lighter at work as they get to bypass TSA security. As an airline pilot I could carry a gun, but I couldn't carry a lighter.:confused: However, the TSA finally rescinded that stupid rule. Now if they would just follow through with the CrewPass system (that has dragged out almost 4 years in testing) I wouldn't have to remove my laptop every mourning.

Now that I am going back to FO, I have too much time on my hands and thought that having a gun and practicing at the range up the street would give me something to do when I get bored. When I found out about the deal for this H&K, it seemed like a good opportunity to get a good quality handgun for a good price.

As well, if someone did break in the house my only current deffense would be a 7 Iron.
I use to think that the Cop's patrol car sitting on the street in front of my house was a nice deterent. Apparently not, as one my neighbor's house was burglarized last week. Even though I grew up in a house with shotguns and handguns everywhere, I have never been a big gun nut. However, I think having a gun in the house and being proficient in using it isn't a bad idea in case of an emergency.

Jim

Last edited:
I'm also thinking about getting a handgun for all the same reasons. I was thinking about getting a used Glock 22. You think this is a good deal?

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Glock_22.html

Its an AWESOME deal. I've never seen a glock priced that low since I bought my Glock22 several years ago.

Just remember being the 2nd gen, it doesn't come with the tactical rail or new style finger grips built into it. Still a rockin' pistol though. I love mine to bits. I didn't shoot it for about 2 years and THOUGHT I was getting bored of it and wanted to sell. So I took it out to the range, fired mine a few hundred times and 5 other types of glocks, kahrs, etc. Decided..... I was NEVER going to get rid of my glock.

I'm guessing those were traded in or sold by a law enforcement agency. So they're going to have LOTS AND LOTS of rounds put through it. EXACTLY like mine when I purchased it as 2nd owner. No problems :)

Last edited:
Hal,

Originally, I wanted to become a FFDO so I could carry a lighter at work as they get to bypass TSA security. As an airline pilot I could carry a gun, but I couldn't carry a lighter.:confused: However, the TSA finally rescinded that stupid rule. Now if they would just follow through with the CrewPass system (that has dragged out almost 4 years in testing) I wouldn't have to remove my laptop every mourning.

Now that I am going back to FO, I have too much time on my hands and thought that having a gun and practicing at the range up the street would give me something to do when I get bored. When I found out about the deal for this H&K, it seemed like a good opportunity to get a good quality handgun for a good price.

As well, if someone did break in the house my only current deffense would be a 7 Iron.
I use to think that the Cop's patrol car sitting on the street in front of my house was a nice deterent. Apparently not, as one my neighbor's house was burglarized last week. Even though I grew up in a house with shotguns and handguns everywhere, I have never been a big gun nut. However, I think having a gun in the house and being proficient in using it isn't a bad idea in case of an emergency.

Jim
gotcha, thx for the feedback. good luck with your plan and, especially, becoming proficient with your weapon.

hal

Back