• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ticket for loud exhaust?

My neighbor got one for in his stock wrx and other non nsx owners have told me they've gotten tix a couple of times for their loud exhaust as a noise violation. Some states requires the cop to have a reading device but not here in NJ. Anyone out there get one in their nsx?

My GM is pretty throaty, but have never been bothered {yet}. But I usually push in the clutch when I pass a police car.:rolleyes:

My car is extremely loud now with headers, test pipes, and GTLW. Talk about noise pollution. :eek: :redface:

I've yet to be pulled over in the 50 miles or so that I've driven it. :smile:

My car is extremely loud now with headers, test pipes, and GTLW. Talk about noise pollution. :eek: :redface:

I've yet to be pulled over in the 50 miles or so that I've driven it. :smile:

Don't you just love the sound, especially in the tunnels? :biggrin:

I was in a parking garage yesterday when I blipped the throttle and all the women looked at me like they were going to drag me out of the car and beat me with their purses...

Don't you just love the sound, especially in the tunnels? :biggrin:

I was in a parking garage yesterday when I blipped the throttle and all the women looked at me like they were going to drag me out of the car and beat me with their purses...

True story, when I drive through my neighborhood in the quite comfortable Lexus, neighbors smile and wave. :smile:

When I'm out in the NSX, they(same people) just look at me like they want to shove a banana or two up my tail pipe. :biggrin:

True story, when I drive through my neighborhood in the quite comfortable Lexus, neighbors smile and wave. :smile:

When I'm out in the NSX, they(same people) just look at me like they want to shove a banana or two up my tail pipe. :biggrin:
Up your tail pipe or the cars tailpipe?:tongue:

I got one when I was in High School for my first car which was running essentially a Sebring straight through muffler. I ended up actually read the Vehicle Code and learned a lot. For CA, the noise level is 95dBA (note the "A" weighting as opposed to the "C" weighting). "A" weighting actually filters out the low frequencies, so if you have a really deep exhaust (like Harley's) chances are it's still legal in CA because the meter won't pick it up! I ended up buying a dB meter from Radio Shack to prove it to the cops.

Here's a picture of the dB curves:
400px-Lindos2.svg.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-weighting

I got one when I was in High School for my first car which was running essentially a Sebring straight through muffler. I ended up actually read the Vehicle Code and learned a lot. For CA, the noise level is 95dBA (note the "A" weighting as opposed to the "C" weighting). "A" weighting actually filters out the low frequencies, so if you have a really deep exhaust (like Harley's) chances are it's still legal in CA because the meter won't pick it up! I ended up buying a dB meter from Radio Shack to prove it to the cops.

So you went to court and got the ticket dismissed? Pretty neat way to prove your innocence :cool:

In NJ they are "trained" to tell whats too loud :rolleyes:

I have gt-one 5.1 and comptech headers so I know its at least 105dB. The test pipes add like 25% so somewhere around 130dB :eek: I'm pretty sure I'd be pulled over around here because theres a drag strip here and kids are always being pulled over on their way there or back. I also found out they could impose a 10k fine for removing cats since its a federal offense :eek: So with that and how I didn't care for the raspy sound and smell from the exhaust I put the cats back on.

i have driven by cops occasionally with no issues. I have the DTS with hi flow cats. Would not say its the most quietest car but so far (crossing fingers) i have not had any issues.
On the other hand when we gutted the cats on the 355 it use to be loud but sweet with the screaming Tubi. I once received a ticket of hazardous to the environment for shooting flames out the exhaust but not for sound. Either way judge dropped ticket.

i have driven by cops occasionally with no issues. I have the DTS with hi flow cats. Would not say its the most quietest car but so far (crossing fingers) i have not had any issues.
On the other hand when we gutted the cats on the 355 it use to be loud but sweet with the screaming Tubi. I once received a ticket of hazardous to the environment for shooting flames out the exhaust but not for sound. Either way judge dropped ticket.

Where did you get the high flow cats?

I've driven by cops plenty of times but thats with my cats still on. They might just let it go since exotics are suppose to be loud whereas other cars with huge coffee can exhaust are not suppose to sound like that. My friend had a Challenge Stradale with Tubi headers, intakes, straight pipes, and Capristo exhaust and we were in the tunnel with a cop behind us but he didn't pull us over becuz he's wasn't a hater :biggrin:

I always wonder why they don't ticket every Harley Davidson motorcylce on the street for loud exhaust. Those exhaust are much louder than any car exhaust I've heard.

I have a kakimoto exhaust (aka explosively loud muffler) with cat deletes on my NSX and it sounds like a whisper compared to my neighbor's Harley.

Got pulled over in the NSX once here in Orlando. Cop said "you know I can give you a ticket for such a loud exhuast" then proceeded to ask how much HP, cost, etc. about the NSX. I think he just wanted to check out the car.

I'm running RM Racing exhaust without cats and I've learned to shift into 5th while going 20-30MPH around cops. :wink:

It's pretty rare when they actually enforce that law in LA. Usually they will include it with a speeding ticket. Although I do notice I gather more police attention with the taitec gtlw than the stock exhaust.

i got one fo rmy supra.

changed the exhaust and gotten it written off... fight the emission and speeding ticket in court and hte cop didnt even show up :biggrin:

Next time, just roll down the window and set 'em straight:

<Axel Foley>

Look man, I ain't fallin' fo no banana up my TAIL pipe.

</Axel Foley>

:smile:

Down here in Texas, San Antonio specifically, I drive my F-250 diesel with a straight pipe lol. I don't think a stock WRX can be too much louder than me hehe.

I believe different states or even different cities have varying laws on DB levels for exhausts. Probably want to talk to a local cop just to get the lowdown.So far I haven't gotten pulled over yet for mine :biggrin:

When I lived in Houston I heard this straight piped harley coming up behind me (I was walking to work), and when I looked it was a police bike with a uniformed cop riding it.

i had a local guy stop by my place in his nsx and he had rm system on it. when he left i could still hear him for about 3 blocks, and he wasn't 'getting on it' either.
really, is there a point of having such an obnoxious 'trumpet'? do you really enjoy the cacaphony of noise?

i had a local guy stop by my place in his nsx and he had rm system on it. when he left i could still hear him for about 3 blocks, and he wasn't 'getting on it' either.
really, is there a point of having such an obnoxious 'trumpet'? do you really enjoy the cacaphony of noise?

Agreed, theres a point where it just sounds just loud and unnatural...like the way you look at a riced out car with a really large and loud muffler and you think how stupid that is. :rolleyes: I really didn't like the sound from the straight pipes on my car so I quickly removed it because it sounded loud and unnatural. I also thought that if a cop was behind me and or I ever got pulled over the foul gas smell will be apparent that theres no cats.
But I guess as long owner likes it to each their own.

I really do not like the exhaust systems that essentially sound like open headers. Unless you live inthe middle of no where it is just rude and inconsiderate to all around you.

We live in a very congested area (SF Bay Area) with tons of inexpensive and high-end cars with modified exhaust and it is very annoying when they cruise down the street at 5K RPM disturbing everyone.

The cops should be writing tickets for all these violations (I did when I rode motors and was responsible for traffic) but now days they are in their police cars with the windows rolled up and the AC on high talking on their cell phones instead of doing their job. I was trained that unless it was pouring rain, your window was down to hear what was going on around you.

Back