• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Turbo / SC Nightmares anyone?

I am not posting this under Forced Induction because, well, I want to hear from people who gave up on it.

Did anyone get forced induction and hate it?
Anyone blow up their engine?
Anyone not pass emissions?

Would love to hear some BAD, on the FI posts its all positive!

I am not interested in lectures about improving my driving, I am going to do that anyway LOL

I am about to pull the trigger on a turbo and want to see if there have been any on here with catastrophic / annoying problems with a turbo.

Thanks
J

Which turbo system are you going with? Tuning probably has more to do with the life of your motor more than anything. Catastrophic failure due to mechanical malfunction such as return oil pump failure or blown head gaskets are very, very rare.

Keep those afr's somewhere in the mid 10's to mid 11's at max boost.

There are members here running 450-500 rwhp+ on stock internals. Most agree that 400rwhp will give you that "can't wipe the smile from my face" feeling without blowing anything up. (except perhaps the stock clutch) ;)

There are TONs, from poor quality components (failures causing engine failures), to poor assembly/execution, to poor design/sizing of components/etc. To mainenence, to probably the most common -the tuning.

Whatever you do, link up with people or a shop who will continuously give you support, otherwise it will be far more frustrating. You're adding a complex and involved system. Its relatively easy to do, but to do it correclty, reliably, and efficiently is a different story. But if you just putt around and rarely "get on it", (like the majority) then its not as important/have negative results, if not done correctly.

Not a deterrant, just reality.

Billy

Last edited:
I've blown up my engine more than a couple times now (some more planned than others). Anytime you tinker with the stock engine or start pushing the envelope, you are increasing the risk of damage and you are decreasing the life of that engine. Period.

Remember the old addage: Cheap, fast, reliable. Pick two.

I've blown up my engine more than a couple times now (some more planned than others). Anytime you tinker with the stock engine or start pushing the envelope, you are increasing the risk of damage and you are decreasing the life of that engine. Period.

I would suggest that any of the well known kits on this forum will get you reliable and fast. For sure don't go cheap as some have asked about ebay kits. Stay with known shops with excellent parts for their installs and you will be fine. As Koo Koo said TUNING TUNING and then TUNING!!!!!! it is THE most important part. You can have the greatest parts and have some nit wit tell you hey man 13 to 1 afr is where the power is. BOOM!1 Ask me how I know. Although this was on a motorcycle, still the same theory. Yes, I'm on FI and I would give you a thumbs up as you said. Jump in, you will never go back. JMHO

I am about to pull the trigger on a turbo and want to see if there have been any on here with catastrophic / annoying problems with a turbo.

Have you considered getting a used CTSC that might cost you the same as a new turbo kit? From what i hear the 6psi whipple setup I have in my car setup is very safe.

+1 maybe not totally with this car but with friends cars as soon as they "tinker" with the engine they started breaking all the time

Don't get me wrong, I love my turbo and I'm very happy with it, but if you want to know the negatives:

1) Expensive. Double your initial budget. Or in my case, quadruple it. When you add power, things that won’t normally break, break. I’ve broken axels, trannys, crushed piston heads, lifted head gaskets, destroyed clutches, etc. etc. etc.
2) It can potentially take time. In one year my car was in the shop a good 2/3’s of it. But then again, I wasn’t in any rush either.
3) It will definitely throw off the OEM balance of your car. My car never felt the same as it was stock. Not necessarily a bad thing but it’s something that comes with power. You’ll get more smells, things will feel “looser”, less balanced, idle or functions of certain things might not work like they used to, you’ll get more grime coming out of your exhaust, power relative to brakes and cornering will all be thrown off.
4) Your tires will probably no longer be adequate.
5) Your brakes will probably no longer be adequate.
6) Your suspension might no longer be adequate. When I started making big power, my Type S suspension would squat so hard, it would bottom out under full throttle.
7) It will require a lot more tweaking and maintenance than the OEM setup. There is more of hassle factor. Some more than others but there are just more moving parts. Anytime you add more parts, you increase the odds of something going wrong.
8) Power is VERY addictive. I’d be surprised if you can just stop at 400 whp.
9) I don't pass emissions. It's expensive for me to have to get around this.

Like I said, I’ve blown up my engine multiple times. I’ve experienced almost anything that can go wrong (or at least it seems). At times it has been an extremely frustrating and painful experience. It has also been an exciting and exhilarating one too.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I love my turbo and I'm very happy with it, but if you want to know the negatives:

1) Expensive. Double your initial budget. Or in my case, quadruple it. When you add power, things that won’t normally break, break. I’ve broken axels, trannys, crushed piston heads, lifted head gaskets, destroyed clutches, etc. etc. etc.
2) It can potentially take time. In one year my car was in the shop a good 2/3’s of it. But then again, I wasn’t in any rush either.
3) It will definitely throw off the OEM balance of your car. My car never felt the same as it was stock. Not necessarily a bad thing but it’s something that comes with power. You’ll get more smells, things will feel “looser”, less balanced, idle or functions of certain things might not work like they used to, you’ll get more grime coming out of your exhaust, power relative to brakes and cornering will all be thrown off.
4) Your tires will probably no longer be adequate.
5) Your brakes will probably no longer be adequate.
6) Your suspension might no longer be adequate. When I started making big power, my Type S suspension would squat so hard, it would bottom out under full throttle.
7) It will require a lot more tweaking and maintenance than the OEM setup. There is more of hassle factor. Some more than others but there are just more moving parts. Anytime you add more parts, you increase the odds of something going wrong.
8) Power is VERY addictive. I’d be surprised if you can just stop at 400 whp.
9) I don't pass emissions. It's expensive for me to have to get around this.

Like I said, I’ve blown up my engine multiple times. I’ve experienced almost anything that can go wrong (or at least it seems). At times it has been an extremely frustrating and painful experience. It has also been an exciting and exhilarating one too.

I have thought of a SC as well, but it seems its almost the same amount of money but no where near the amount of power output. Question is, if you had to do it all again (and money is an object) would you go with a SC and its relative ease or would you stick with turbo and go nuts?

I have narrowed down my turbo selection to:

1. Lovefab's Stage II
2. SOS's twin turbo
3. Angus's turbo

It seems every time I think I made up my mind, someone tells me something that scares me off. I've personally met with Cody and Chris and they seem like great guys. But it seems when I mention my selection on a thread people say things like

1. Lovefab? are you nuts? His welds look great but the design isnt so great
2. Twin turbo? thats a hassle - twins never work right
3. Angus? he'll blow up your engine
4. 2.1L SOS SC? its slow

Its hard to pull the trigger with rumors flying. I guess this is the part where I tell you guys what I am trying to accomplish and then get some advice from people who have been down this path.

1. The NSX is my daily driver - so I would like for it to feel comfortable

2. If I am spending this much money I would like to see serious power, even if I don't always use it.

3. I do use my car aggressively - and I always feel like its lacking acceleration... car looks fast and just isnt

4. Reliability is important to me, I can't be tinkering with it constantly

5. I plan on having either cody at lovefab or chris at SOS do the install and tune.

6. I have a targa top, and love taking it off, so if I go with a SC'er Id need to put it in the trunk I guess

7. I have a 3.2L with 41,700mi (97)

On top of whatever advice you have to offer, please answer these two questions:

1. Would you upgrade the suspension, brakes, clutch first.. then do the turbo?

2. Did you install the SOS sport clutch - how do you like it?

The easiest most reliable FI system is the basic CTSC using the factory fuel system that is 50 state legal and CARB exempt.

Anything else is definitely more complex. If an extra 80-100 isn't enough for you then I'd go turbo. But these are all desires that sprout up when you are unable to track your NSX. They come from street boredom... "I need more acceleration on that on-ramp"... "I need to beat that Z06 at the stoplight", etc.

1. Lovefab's Stage II
2. SOS's twin turbo
3. Angus's turbo

It seems every time I think I made up my mind, someone tells me something that scares me off. I've personally met with Cody and Chris and they seem like great guys. But it seems when I mention my selection on a thread people say things like

1. Lovefab? are you nuts? His welds look great but the design isnt so great
2. Twin turbo? thats a hassle - twins never work right
3. Angus? he'll blow up your engine
4. 2.1L SOS SC? its slow

People you talked to either stupid or you made this up

What is your goal?

Dyno chart bragging rights?
Occasional track day?
Street car?
1/4 mile car?
Do you need to pass smog?
Do you want reliability?
Daily driver?

A moderate amount of boost if setup properly can be fun to drive and reliable.

So often I see people only care about max hp. This is always at redline.
Look at the torque curve. Where does it start to make power?

It all depends on what you want.

Talk to installers that have multiple options.
They are aware of the trade-offs advantages and disadvantages of the options.

Later,
Don

Last edited:
Lucky you, slow day at work! I've got the time this morning to really get into this. :smile:

Question is, if you had to do it all again (and money is an object) would you go with a SC and its relative ease or would you stick with turbo and go nuts?

Hell if I had to do it all over again, I would have never bought the NSX, did any mods, and bought a Lambo G instead. :smile: But I don't regret what I did. Everything has value. Do I have a pretty unique and crazy fast NSX that will keep up with just about anything on the road. Yup. Did I learn more about the NSX then I ever thought I would. Yup. Did I learn a lot from the frustrations and headaches of the turbo build. Yup. The point being is that you will always get something out of what ever path you take and it will always be a learning experience. Will the turbo kit come with more complication and problems than an SC? Possibly. Will you be able to put out more power with a turbo than SC. Yes. It's all a trade off. There are no free lunches in life. If you want to run with the big boys, you'll need to pay to play. Not just money, but time, energy, frustration etc. A turbo setup can possibly have more risk of issues than a SC. But it will have more power potential. That's the tradeoff. You have to ask yourself, is it worth that tradeoff? Also, note that there is an exponential scale of complications/problems versus pushing the limits of power. To get 400 whp, is not super difficult. To get 500 whp, it becomes a lot harder and a lot more expensive. To get 600 whp it get's really hard and really expensive. To get to 700 whp... well hope you have some sponsors... :smile:

To be frank/honest with you, I wouldn't be so concerned with the actual kit. I've seen enough on these kits that I don't think you can go terribly wrong with any of them. Are some more efficient or have better weld quality? Sure, possibly. However, weld quality and design isn't going to necessarily going to blow up your engine. Your tune or a malfunctioning part, like fuel pump, will blow up your engine. Turbo kits are just pieces of metal and parts. For the most part they use the same/similar pre-manufacturered parts. They all purchase a pre-made blow off valve, turbo, wastegate etc. All that's left is the interconnecting tubing. So the only real distinguishing aspect is the quality of the welds of the interconnecting tubing and the rough design. Some design are marginally better than others, but really they all essentially work. If there was a fundamental flaw in the design of a setup, it would be exposed right away. These are all proven turbo designs and any one you pick should be fine. Think of it this way. A turbo kit is like a car. There are many cars out there and some are slightly better than others, but for the most part you get what you pay for. Your tuning is like the driver. The car itself isn't going to blow up or wreck itself. The driver is in control of that. If the driver is bad, no matter how nice the car is, he can still wrap it around a tree. Conversely a good driver can make the most of a crappy car. The bottom line, don't fret over which kit to buy. Pick one that has good support, good quality, good price, good instructions and if one supplier is close by (bonus!)

1. The NSX is my daily driver - so I would like for it to feel comfortable

2. If I am spending this much money I would like to see serious power, even if I don't always use it.

3. I do use my car aggressively - and I always feel like its lacking acceleration... car looks fast and just isnt

4. Reliability is important to me, I can't be tinkering with it constantly

5. I plan on having either cody at lovefab or chris at SOS do the install and tune.

6. I have a targa top, and love taking it off, so if I go with a SC'er Id need to put it in the trunk I guess

7. I have a 3.2L with 41,700mi (97)

1. You can have a turbo'd NSX as a daily driver. If you stay off boost, the car will act very similar to stock. But as you add more power it does complicate things. And remember there are just other things you have to keep in mind. Typical turbo will not pass emissions. They are loud. You can gain speed much faster than expected.

2. Serious power is all relative. When I first started 400 whp was serious power. 6 months later 450 whp was serious power, 6 months later, 500 whp was serious power. Fast forward to today and 550-600 whp isn't cutting it. Here's the thing, the cost/complication goes up exponentially as you add power. Something to consider. Say you want something like 550+ whp. Well to be safe you should have something like 1,000+ cc fuel injectors. Those are huge because they need to be sized to flood the bejesus out of the engine with fuel for wide open throttle. But think about it, just how good do you think 1,000+ cc fuel injectors are going to be at idle or partial throttle (which is 95% of the time). Not great. It's like trying to water your plants with a fire hose. Like I said, there are always trade offs. If you are expecting a 500+ whp beast but also a compliant, comfortable, fuel efficient, daily driver, then get a GTR. But trying to transform an NSX into one is not easy nor is very cheap. The big breaking point is around the 400-450 whp mark. At that point you need to consider building your engine (piston, sleeves, rods etc.) That is expensive but will give you the peace of mind that the engine can hold that power reliably. The next level is around 525-550 where you need to consider axels and transmission.

3. Yeah a turbo will cure that.

4. Again tradeoffs. If you tinker with your car, you will HAVE to get used to additional hassles. It comes with the territory. I'll put it to you this way. If you had a wheel, then all you have to worry about is if that wheel broke. If you added an axel to that wheel, then you have to worry about the wheel or the axel breaking, in addition to the interface between the wheel and axel. Adding one part added two more things you need to worry about. When you add a turbo, you are adding multiple parts. Therefore you are adding hundreds, if not thousands, of additional things that could possibly go wrong. Throw in a tune, and now you've added a bonus kicker multiplier of variables. In summary, greater reliability, less power. Less reliability, more power.

5. No direct experience with either of them, but both seem very competent and reliable installers. I would have no reservations with using either one of them.

On top of whatever advice you have to offer, please answer these two questions:

1. Would you upgrade the suspension, brakes, clutch first.. then do the turbo?

2. Did you install the SOS sport clutch - how do you like it?

1. If you can afford it, I would do it all at the same time.

2. I have the RPS twin disc clutch, which SOS basically name branded. It is an excellent choice for turbo cars. I love it.

Sorry, I realize this post is all over the place. There was so much more I wanted to say and mention, but my alzheimers/ADHD/dyslexia/sleep deprivation kicked in and I forgot what I was going to say. I hope so far what I wrote helps, but if you have additional questions, just post them here. I think what should help is if you know exactly what your goal is: i.e. 500 whp, budget etc. Let me know exactly what those are and I'll tell you the best way to get there based on my trial and errors (many errors). :smile:

Vega$ has a lot of good info in there, and he is right on point about the complexity of adding any power adder.

I have had stock, CTSC HI-Boost and now a Twin Turbo, I can tell you that there are many good things about every configuration that I have owned and the the one thing about your particular situation that is holding me back from saying go get it, is the fact that you are daily driving your NSX.

I have never used my NSX as anything more than a weekend warrior track car or sunny day street car, so my experience is going to be biased as I can go without my car for a week if I had to. I also do all my own service work and installed my own FI systems, so I have little reservations working on my cars and as a result have fewer issues getting things repaired if need be.

If you do not have the ability to work on the car yourself find a install shop that can handle the project, talk to as many previous installs as possible not just NSX installs as these will be rare. You want to find a shop that is willing to learn and understand the system you have chosen and learn the additional maintenance issues that the kit adds. You want to know how the shop deals with its customers not how much power it makes or how many projects have ended with blown motors. I know the blown motors thing seems important but without knowing the goals of the owner or the risk he/she was willing to take to achieve the goals it really does not matter. That is why you want to talk to the owners and if they feel the shop was able to explain the risk enough to allow the customer to make an informed decision.

The kits you are looking at will allow your otherwise stock 3.2l to make 400-425 whp reliably. You will need a good local performance shop to handle maintenance and repairs for the new systems on the car as the dealers will just hold up there hands in most cases. If you use the power your general maintenance will increase with your HP so expect higher than normal clutch wear, tire wear, break pad wear, air filters, oil, spark plugs, engine coolant, and all the other little things that use to wear are now going to wear quicker. Means more down time for maintenance.

The good news is the 3.2l OBDii system will require the use of a piggyback instead of a stand alone, I say good because the daily driving part of your new system will be handled by the OEM ECU and the boost part of your fun driving will be handled by the piggyback. This will simplify the tuning process a great deal but you still need to have a good tuner close by or be willing to ship the car for a great base tune and learn enough about the piggyback to make the minor adjustment that will be needed down the road. Not willing to learn the piggyback means more down time dealing with the tune/tuner.

What you want you can have, as long as you want around 400whp. In my opinion if/when you want more than 400whp you should not plan on using the NSX platform as your daily driver. Things just get too complicated unless you have an unlimited budget to buy the reliability with the performance.

I would recommend getting on the phone with a few vendors and owners, you can ask more direct questions and you will get more direct answers. Keep in mind the owners already made their best decision and the vendors make the best products so take it all in with a grain of salt. In the end it comes down to a gut decision and one that only you will be able to make.

One more thing a good condition stock single disk OEM clutch can handle the 400whp but it is at the limit and if you plan on using the extra power from your new FI kit, budget for a new clutch. The Sport clutch you asked about will be fine for the 400-450whp range.

Best of luck with your decision.

Dave

How about this: the CTSC... its plug and play. There is no tuning. That's how simple this kit is. There is nothing piggybacked and there is no one needed to "tune" your motor.

This is a bolt-on that takes a few hours and is the most proven system out there.

To be perfectly honest, if I was to go to the next level it would be with a built motor and high boost turbo. However at that point, I may just get a different car. To me right now, that is just one step too far.

Yes, 375 HP is not crazy but it's a lot more than stock and makes this car pretty darn capable on the track. Factory like power and torque curve... instant response... perfect. If you get tired of it, it is one day to remove it and sell it for most of what you paid on prime. KISS is the principle at work here.

If you want to go high boost SC then you need an ECU, a pump, injectors, aftercooler, plumbing, water pump, intercooler. So you get yourself an extra 35-40 HP. Worth it? I'm not sure... At that point, I'd go turbo. The thermal efficiency of an intercooled SC is not great. Run the engine hard and that cooler on top of the manifold will start to get hotter, and hotter, and hotter. To me it is not a great solution. You are trying to keep something cool that is ON TOP of the motor.

I have a 1995 with a 3.0. This is an OBDII car.
I had a Comptech High boost kit on my car for about 6 years.
I installed myself. No tuning required.
Was a daily driver. No issues. emissions compliant.
Doesn't make excessive power but very drivable. Somewhere around 335rwhp.
Also used as my track car.

Recently Had my motor rebuilt, Low compression 3.2 Installed Larger supercharger inter cooler. larger injectors etc....
Car makes 280ftlb of torque at 2500 rpm, 338ftlb peak, makes 440rwhp.
The car is a beast. Very quick. I don't have the best street tires on the car.
If you want to get into it you need to turn the TCS off. It will spin the tires with ease in any gear.

This is my track car.
With sticky tires it is such a Joy on track.
There are very few cars that are quicker. The power band is very wide.
again 2500 to redline. The car will pull away from other cars from the apex.
Other cars may make more peak hp but the car is quick out of the hole. I get the jump on them. I

If I had more power I am not sure if I could use it on the street.
You can only get on it for a few seconds.

I highly suggest you work with a vendor that can address your needs.

Hope this helps.

Later,
Don

Your best bet is to get rides at a NSXPO!!!! :wink: !!!! <----- :wink:

My current plan is to go SOS SC and be done. Honestly, it's more than enough power to get yourself in alot of trouble on the street. PM Alex ( arfnsx ) and ask him how much fun it was to spend the night in jail (lovefab)? :biggrin: As well, my limited experience with SC NSXs is that they don't change the over all character of the car which is VERY important to me. I want my NSX just like it is but with MORE POWER. :) On the street and on the track, to ME ~ 400 rwhp is more than enough to be competitive with all but the "track monsters". You are always only going to be as competitive as your checkbook. :tongue:

PS: the new reviews of the Evora S is that they LOVE the car. 345hp (crank) from a SC. So far I have seen two video reviews that said "this is the way it should have come from the factory in the first place". How many times have I heard that on Prime about the CTSC or the SOS SC or even any of the ~ 400 rwhp turbo kits? If it was economical to do it NA then we would probably all go that way because it keeps all the things we love about the NSX's character. SC are a close compromise. But if you want something that is going to make you giggle as you roast the tires in 1st and 2nd and scare the piss out of your passenger ---- go turbo. Just be careful of what you ask for, you may get it. :)

Last edited:
Why doesn't anyone run the Dali Racing BOOSTZILLA kit? You may have to ask but the layout of this supercharger looks like you could still put your targa in the bay. The BabyZilla kit ($6k) hits 380whp and uses no standalone engine management, just dyno tuning for A/F and the stock ECU takes care of the rest.

Quote from the Boostzilla site:
The fuel system is simplistic in nature by design, but that does not imply that it is inadequate, in fact, just the opposite is true. We begin with a fuel pump that is higher pressure and higher flow then the factory unit. We then increase the diameter of the fuel lines and use a high flow filter so that when the engine needs large quantities of fuel during boost situations we have more then adequate supply of both fuel flow, and fuel pressure. By providing higher fuel pressure, in combination with higher fuel flow, during boost situations we are able to supply the correct quantity of fuel needed during these boost situations. By providing factory prescribed fuel pressure in combination with allowing the factory ECU to control the injector’s pulse width in non-boost situations we are able to achieve factory idle quality and drivability. We have chosen a particular rising rate regulator that is both adjustable for static fuel pressure as well as ramp up under boost. The combination of these two adjustments allows for a very safe and controlled A/F ratio under boost and also allows the factory ECU to run in closed loop feedback under all other circumstances where less then 80% throttle is required, thus presenting a perfect 14.7/1 cruising A/F ratio and a safe 10.5-12 A/F under boost situations.

http://boostzilla.com/store/allzilla/faq/general

I honestly really like this kit. It's not a giant metal black box siting on top of your engine, nor is it a turbo sitting under your engine a foot from the ground.

My 2 cents.

Nevermind i read on and this wont work for your OBD2 ECU. But still wondering why others dont talk about this kit?

Last edited:
I really like my Angus kit. It fit perfectly, I don't tinker with it and power is great and somewhat adjustable. I also have a limited budget so things like a full blown brake kit are not an option at this point. I did order some Project Mu pads and them installed on my stock rotors. (had plenty of meat to cut them) The project Mu pads have alot more stopping power than stock. I need to put some more miles on them before giving them the seal of approval. Other members here seemed to like them.

I'd limit max power to about 350rwhp if you want to keep your stock clutch alive otherwise expect to spend about 2.5k to 3k in parts and labor for a new aftermarket clutch.

Your best bet is to get rides at a NSXPO!!!! :wink: !!!! <----- :wink:

My current plan is to go SOS SC and be done. Honestly, it's more than enough power to get yourself in alot of trouble on the street. PM Alex ( arfnsx ) and ask him how much fun it was to spend the night in jail (lovefab)? :biggrin: As well, my limited experience with SC NSXs is that they don't change the over all character of the car which is VERY important to me. I want my NSX just like it is but with MORE POWER. :) On the street and on the track, to ME ~ 400 rwhp is more than enough to be competitive with all but the "track monsters". You are always only going to be as competitive as your checkbook. :tongue:

HEY, Blaming Lovefab for my over night vacation is like blaming that hooker sneaking into my Vegas room late at night. (I kid, I kid)

I have the Lovefab system and I have driven it in all conditions. Over the years (3 to be exact) I haven't had one issue with my turbo except for one bad turbo (from Percision, not Lovefab)

I have driven my NSX cross country in a rally (10k miles) and it didn't cause me one problem. Infact I just sent her back to Cody for some additional approvements which I will later post about.

If you want a reliable FI system with a good amount of power, go with your first chose (Lovefab)

Back