• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

VTEC. I am being paranoid

Couple of weeks ago, the coolant hose burst and engine overheated. Now I feel as if the vtec did not kick in. Floor the pedal, did not feel any kick at 6000 rpm or any change in engine noise. Not that i ever really floor the accellarator before. I am being paranoid. Is there any way or test i can tell that the vtec is working.

can you notice the changes on oil pressure at 5600rpm?

from what i read in nsxprime, you cant really notice the VTEC in nsx...

vtec_yo.jpg

Yes. Look at your instrument cluster. Is the CEL light on? No? Then everything is fine.

well not having a CEL doesn't mean there isn't a problem..... most of the time :)

But yea you don't feel the VTEC kick in like you do on a 96 Honda Prelude :tongue:

well not having a CEL doesn't mean there isn't a problem..... most of the time :)

You are 100% correct. In fact I had a "no CEL something is FUBAR" issue this week. Thanks to Larry B I discovered that a faulty O2 sensor was making the car hesitate and run like a Ferrari.

You are 100% correct. In fact I had a "no CEL something is FUBAR" issue this week. Thanks to Larry B I discovered that a faulty O2 sensor was making the car hesitate and run like a Ferrari.

lol is that a bad thing? ;)

Can your engine still reach 8000 rpm? If that's the case, you should be worrying.

Yes. Look at your instrument cluster. Is the CEL light on? No? Then everything is fine.

For Vtec I would say yes, no cel no problem. The Vtec signal opens a valve that supplies oil pressure to switch to the other cam lobe. That pressure is confirmed with a pressure switch. That being said if the ECU decides not to send the signal then you would not have a cel but it's very unlikely.

I was always told that if your didn't have a cel then the problem probably isn't electrical and you should look for perhaps a vacuum problem but i'm finding thats not always the case with the NSX. I've had both bad o2 and wet coil issues without it sending a cel.

Temp gauge reached the redline when I notice the temp. Stop the car and call tow truck. Engine did not seized though.

Temp gauge reached the redline when I notice the temp. Stop the car and call tow truck. Engine did not seized though.

is there any steam coming out of the exhaust with a sweet smell? if so, u have a blown head gasket... :( Hope everything works out.

is there any steam coming out of the exhaust with a sweet smell? if so, u have a blown head gasket... :( Hope everything works out.

How much does head gasket cost? i'm planning to change mine and same goes to the spool valve...

would it be advisable to change the head gasket by DIY?

in my case, my rpm cannot exceed 5500 RPM... :frown: ive found engine oil around spool valve, below valve covers and cam plugs..

Thanks..

According to the NSX Wiki:
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/VTEC

"How to tell when VTEC is kicking in? Here's a nice indirect way I learned at NSXPO. Watch your oil pressure gauge as you rev up through 5800 RPM. The VTEC system consumes a significant amount of oil flow when it is activated, and you can watch your needle FALL a couple of notches as the revs climb through that point.

VTEC factoid-of-the-week: Valve timing change conditions that must be met include 5 km/h (3 mph) or faster and 60 degrees C (140 deg F) or faster. Source:1992 service manual."

How much does head gasket cost? i'm planning to change mine and same goes to the spool valve...

would it be advisable to change the head gasket by DIY?

in my case, my rpm cannot exceed 5500 RPM... :frown: ive found engine oil around spool valve, below valve covers and cam plugs..

Thanks..

Leaking spool valves is a common problem and somthing you can do it yourself, changing the head gaskets is not a DIY project.
Normally a limited RPM is caused by a bad or dicconnected coolant temp sensor are you getting a cel.

Last edited:
Leaking spool valves is a common problem and somthing you can do it yourself, changing the head gaskets is not a DIY project.
Normally a limited RPM is caused by a bad or dicconnected coolant temp sensor are you getting a cel.

so far, there is no CEL appeared..

my water temp. gauge says the temp is OK.. a little under the gauge half mark..

Last edited:
Back