• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Went in for an A/C recharge, left with a bill for $1,200. :(

So it has been extremely hot around Indianapolis this past two weeks, and appears that it will continue to be for a while. Taking this into consideration, I decided that it was time to take my '94 NSX in to the dealership for an A/C recharge. The car would blow cold air while driving, but when sitting stopped the car blew only warm air.

So I go in for an evac and recharge to the system ($209) and they call me a few hours later and I can tell from the way the guy is kind of beating around the bush that this is not a good call. It turns out that two of the pipes involved in my air conditioning have cracks in them that make it impossible to charge the system and have it hold the freon in, and that one of the fans in front is not working. The first estimate that they gave me was huge....somewhere in the $1,500 or more range, and I said, 'Sorry...I just cannot do that now, but thank you,' and was going to just deal with it later. I advised them that I get 25% off parts from other sources, including a friend who works for Honda, so paying list price for the parts was not in the cards unless they wanted to match my discount. They checked with their Parts Manager, who graciously agreed to match the price 'one time only' to get the service business. I had mentally given myself a 'stop spend' at $1,200 for this repair, and the number they came back with was around $1,282. I informed their Service Writer of this, thanked them for their kindness, but said I really have to stick to my guns on this one. He agreed to make it $1,200 out the door (taxes and all) if I agreed to the work, to which I did, figuring that I need to have the work done, I want my car to be perfect, and the job is expensive enough that I want a dealership to be responsible if anything goes wrong.

Reason for posting? Besides just being sad that a simple maintenance stop turned into a wallet draining endeavor, I am curious how many other people out there have had these issues with the air conditioning. My car is 1994 with over 183,000 miles, so I do not blame the car, but I am wondering about other owners experiences with their air conditioning durability. So if you have a similar experience, please share so that I can compare notes. Thank you!

Oh! Side note. The one pipe has to come from Japan and will take 3 weeks to get during one of the hottest times of the year. LOL!! Awesome.

when I did my 2002 build I replaces all the front a/c lines NEW
and had to buy a new/used a/c condensor with fan then oiled the system
and filled the system with R134a for under 400-500 bucks if i remeber correctly.

what gets me about your story is it blew cold while driving, OK. so a fan was bad that makes sense. I think THEY checking for leaks probably tried to unbolt the leaky seal to put in a new seal, they stock them at all dealerships, on one of the pipes and cracked it as they are very thin aluminum trust me they can be threaded wrong by accident and then its toast, I threaded one of my pipes wrong and had to replace the whole line on my 92.

I think they had a new guy that did a "oh no " and are covering for him.

can you look at your receipt and tell us what part numbers they replaced
so we can picture in our head what could have they done to break it.
which in turn cost you money.

Last edited:
That doesn't leave a warm and fuzzy feeling in my guy. My '93 needs an a/c recharge. Although mine blows warm all the time, I fear of ending up with a bill like that as well. :frown:

All you guys need to do to figure out what's wrong is this
1. Turn on AC
2. See if it's blowing cold
3. If not check fuses
4. If blown replace fuses
5. If still not blowing cold dye the system
6. Check for leaks
7. Replace leaking parts
8. Re-oil with ether oil
9. Change to r134

I'm sure there may be a step of listening to the compressor kick on but I can't hear anything when my cars running.

In my personal experience my fuse was blown, I drained the system which had old r12 in it. Oiled and charged myself. Costs about $60 total...

so your nsx is done i thought you was still doing that refresh project and it didnt look finish quite yet

I went in for the 3rd evac and recharge in as many years and got the, oh the evaporator needs to be replaced only $1800 with a good will on the evac and recharge. Thanks but no thanks, installed the $400 evap myself and paid $200 for the evac and recharge so a $1200 savings.

Mine was blowing warm, so I had a buddy recharge it; he does a/c work for a living but basically he just used one of those cans with the hose from Wal-mart.
I thought it would last a few months before leaking out again, but that was 5 years ago and that sucker is still blowing cold.
A recharge is cheap. Give it a shot first.

Had a similar issue - somewhere in the cars history someone probably hit a dip too fast and both of the front condenser fans cracked. That was never fixed and the AC kind of worked OK but eventually the compressor started making all kinds of noises and I ended up taking it in. Had to get both fans and compressor replaced as well as at least one of the AC lines which had a damaged connector or something. Seems to me the AC line was somewhat hard to find.

I think all-in it cost like $3000.

...what gets me about your story is it blew cold while driving, OK. so a fan was bad that makes sense. I think THEY checking for leaks probably tried to unbolt the leaky seal to put in a new seal, they stock them at all dealerships, on one of the pipes and cracked it as they are very thin aluminum trust me they can be threaded wrong by accident and then its toast, I threaded one of my pipes wrong and had to replace the whole line on my 92.

I think they had a new guy that did a "oh no " and are covering for him.

can you look at your receipt and tell us what part numbers they replaced
so we can picture in our head what could have they done to break it.
which in turn cost you money.

I don't have the receipt yet because the parts are still on order, so I have not had to pay yet. But I was thinking something similar about the fact that the car blew cold air when I took it in while driving, so if the lines were cracked ahead of time, how would there have been ANY freon to make cold air? I think I am going in tomorrow to discuss this with them.

Tell them you want the old parts too and look to see if they screwed up somewhere as well.

Good idea.

Side note...when I left, they had put the wrong screws in to hold up the long black plastic panel that is under the center section of the car that covers up the pipes and the panel came loose and started dragging on the road, so I had to go back. Grrrrrr....

so your nsx is done i thought you was still doing that refresh project and it didnt look finish quite yet

Hello! I put it back together a few weeks ago because I needed to use it, but have been slow to post the pictures as I have been taking it back apart in my spare time...so the job is not yet done. :)

Okay, so I went in today and asked more questions on this repair...like for them to show me where the cracked pipes are, or why they continue to blow cold air while driving. Here is what I was told:

1.) Right side condenser fan fuse was blown, replaced, and blew again. Fan is getting power, but not working. Needs replaced.

2.) The two high pressure A/C lines that run underneath the car and near the emergency brake cable towards the passenger rear corner appeared to have 'oil' leaking down from the top. Technician said that since no oil would blow forward from the engine, that it was the oily dye that is used in A/C systems. Technician stated that while actual cracks could not be seen, that he assumed that the fittings must be bad, and would most likely break on removal due to age and the existence of a problem already. Needs replaced.

How does this sound to you out there that have technical experience in this arena?

...still blowing ice cold A/C over a week and a half later. If the lines were really 'cracked', would this be possible?

Sounds fishy. I'd take it somewhere else (preferably an experienced independent NSX mechanic) and get a second opinion.

So he assumed the metal fittings must be bad? Let's not think for a second it might need a new rubber o-ring. No, let's assume the stronger, more expensive part is to blame. And they're replacing the fan because a fuse is blowing? Did they check the entire circuit to make sure there's not a pinched wire somewhere or--even quicker--to check the resistance at the fan connector?

I'm not a tech, but I've got an old Robinair and I've done a number of cars. I clearly do not have all the facts here, and maybe the tech knows things the service writer isn't relaying very well, but on the surface this smells like crap.

wow, now i'm scared...i have an appt Monday morning to drop mine off because it is not blowing cold air really at all....i'm glad to have seen this thread, it's given me ideas as to what things to look for...thank you all! good luck to the OP. :smile:

This is what my A/C needed at 39k miles / 10 years (I believe only work ever done on the A/C system): Replace two leaking o-rings, install R134A retrofit kit, evacuate and recharge. $288 total at dealer.

11 years and 20k miles later it is starting to get weak again (as my wife would attest after this past weekend...oops).

The most I've ever spent on an A/C repair was in the $600-800 range for replacement of rear expansion valve on a 6-year-old MDX...so they can get pricey even without getting into replacing compressor/evaporator.

Still, I'm with others that you should get a second opinion as a cheaper part being source of the leak seems more plausible. Then again, it sounds like he is saying it is a less-expensive part (fittings)...but that condition of the lines make them not likely to not survive the procedure. I don't know what those lines are made of...but you do live in one of the parts of the country where salt is applied liberally to roads.

Last edited:
This is what my A/C needed at 39k miles / 10 years (I believe only work ever done on the A/C system): Replace two leaking o-rings, install R134A retrofit kit, evacuate and recharge. $288 total at dealer.

11 years and 20k miles later it is starting to get weak again (as my wife would attest after this past weekend...oops).

The most I've ever spent on an A/C repair was in the $600-800 range for replacement of rear expansion valve on a 6-year-old MDX...so they can get pricey even without getting into replacing compressor/evaporator.

Still, I'm with others that you should get a second opinion as a cheaper part being source of the leak seems more plausible. Then again, it sounds like he is saying it is a less-expensive part (fittings)...but that condition of the lines make them not likely to not survive the procedure. I don't know what those lines are made of...but you do live in one of the parts of the country where salt is applied liberally to roads.

I thought your a/c was frigid, far colder than my car, which has never had a recharge (1995, 46k miles).

Back