• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What was your 1st' or Worst car??

A 1970 something Plymouth Sattelite costed $300.00 (or) 1970 something Carman Ghia(the floor fell thru the the asphalt,WHILE I WAS DRIVING)it was so rotted I spray painted the rust holes to cover them the same color as the car.
After the fall thru the floor incident I quickly went to home depot, picked up wood,made a new floorwith a piece of green treated plywood,siliconed it to the little bit of floor left and continued my happy little way thru college.
The final chapter of that little red Ghia was drive thru a puddle in Manhatten a few months later in the winter.The cancer had spread across the floor foward and created nice air venting by summer but a tidalwave from up between my legs at 40 miles an hour.I pulled over (soaked From head to toe)slammed the door and kicked it of coarse.Pulled the regi.sticker off the windshield,bent the licence plates back and forth(no screwdriver)till they broke off and thru them in a dumpster nearby.Yes,I abandoned ship and never saw my (lucky)little red Ghia again.
Ironically I had more girlfriends when I drove that pile of cr#%p then ever in my life.They probably felt bad for me.LOL
I havent had a date since
smile.gif
,Just kidding
smile.gif

------------------

My 1st car was actually nice .30k 1974 LeMans Sport Coupe white outside with a half vinyl top (you know the type)just the rear is vinyl the interior was blue and it was definatly the friday night cruiser my grandfather's ex car sold to me for $2,000.00.Never a problem till I got the car airborn at 70 mph on a side street in Far Rockaway New York.It seems the streets do a sort of rollercoaster thing I forgot (while stoned)and very stupid racing off a main blvd to a sort of side street ,the suspension compressed and decompressed and sent the car sailing(note: this is not a light vehicle)thru the air and landed ontop of a sewer cap in an intersection that decided it was not going to sink with the rest of the street.:0The entire cars under the motor area was removed instantly the cars chassis looked like (whell kinda'U shaped).
Needless to say I was young 17 or 18 very wild and very stupid.And I was not laughing at the time.:+
It was hell explaining what happened to the car to my father.(He is still amazed at the damage and I was unhurt)
smile.gif
Today he laughs too then was no joke.I think that one cost me the entire summer in my house.SOLITARY CONFINEMENT,and no T.V or Guitar
frown.gif

------------------

Ok, here's an interesting one. When I was 16 I decided to purchase a Brand Spanking new Mustang Cobra. Well...it didn't actually happen until I turned 18 when I could actually afford it. But suffice to say it was stretching the wallet quite a bit more than I should have. Being as this was my DREAM car I went ahead and bought myself a brand new 1998 Mustang Cobra at the tender age of 18.
I loved this thing to death, but for some reason it just didn't run. I had it in the shop LITERALLY 2 times a week. In the first 3 months of ownership it spend over 30 days in the shop from various problems.
Here is an abbrevited list that does NOT include all of the problems encountered in the 1.5 years I owned it.
Bad Catalytic Converter
Bad Synchro from 1st-2nd gear
Bad Synchro from 3rd-4th gear
Got stuck in Reverse for some reason (5 times)
Bad shift linkage
2nd gear quit engaging
Bad pressure plate (2 times)
Bad Clutch (3 times)
Bent wheel from factory
Crossthreaded lugnut from factory
Bad bearing somewhere in back of car and made horrid squealing noise
Limited Slip Differential blew out at 2000 miles.
Passenger side front brake caliper stuck.
Transmission rebuild (8 times)

And thats just SOME of the things that I had to deal with..and this from a car that had less than 50 miles upon delivery...
*sigh* Talk about a wake up experience. I was soooo mad it wasn't even funny.

BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD car.

That is interesting. A friend of mine bought a new Mustang Cobra about the same time - I think it was also a 1998. It was a nightmare too. He had many smaller problems, but I especially remember his had to be rebuilt twice within the first year (not through any fault of his - he knows how to drive and doesn't abuse his cars). He also had some sort of differential problem, but I don't remember exactly what.

The last straw was that the car started burning a quart of oil about every 1000 miles and the dealer told him that was considered "normal" and "within spec."

He considered having them run a consumption test and just draining a little oil out so it would be outside their "acceptable" range (1qt ever 900 miles if I recall), but decided to just sell the thing instead.

Sorry I guess that is off topic....

My first car was a 1981 Chevy Citation... The only car that Popular Mechanics Magazine dubbed "The only Car ever built that was more aerodynamic backwards than forwards".

The car was noisy, unreliable, and came with vinyl bench seats.... 'nuff said

I ended up trading the car in for $300.00 to the dealer (after much persuasion that the car was at least worth that much) for a brand new Civic SI in 1991.

------------------
========================
91 Silver/Black NSX
90 BLue/Black Miata

Hey Lud, that sounds just like MY car...it burned a Quart of oil every 900-100 miles..but Ford's Spec says every 700-800 miles I think..so they wouldn't even look at it.
What a POS.

I ended up just selling the car too. Too much of a hassle to deal with. I feel sorry for anyone who buys that car. I still hav the VIN certificate if anyone wants to know what VIN# to stay away from...
Not that Anyone here would have the bad taste to buy a Mustang Cobra or anything...

1973 Orange VW Beetle and it was not a bad car.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

A Silver ’91 Saturn SL2. It was one of the first Saturns on the road in Michigan so when I first started driving it, people would slow down on the highway to get a better look. And guys would always want to check out the car whenever I stopped for gas or for groceries. One gas station attendant said “WOW that’s really a cool car! They don’t make those anymore do they?” Anyway, it drew more attention for the first 3 months of ownership than my NSX has in 3 years. Unfortunately, my silver Saturn met its demise a couple of years ago when a buddy of mine screwed up a shift between turns 3 and 5 at Gingerman Raceway and grenaded the engine. Lots of fun was had in and on and around that car!!! My family ended up buying 5 Saturns in the early 90s, they’re now replaced with various types of Hondas.

DanO

96' nsx..........

just kidding..........

only because it was one of the slowest year nsx's...........

but that was 3 years ago and that all changed now

Dano my daily driver is a 92 SL-2 4 door it was my mother in laws they bought it in 92 I got it with 55,000 miles on it and it has 113,000 now and it has been the most reliable car I ever owned still looks new.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

My very first car was a Datsun 240Z. I bought it from a gentleman who had his barn fall on it. At the time I was only 14 years old so I thought I had plenty of time before I got my license to fix it up. Although I worked on it almost everyday for a year Straight, I never got it on the road. I then took my driving test in a scout. The very first car that I drove on the road was a 1972 Mach 1. This car did not belong to me but I had unlimited use of it. So, The very first car I owned and drove on the road was a 1972 Chevy Vega, great transportation. As for the biggest POS I owned, A 1978 Datsun pick up truck. only one brake, the drivers front worked. This thing was so rotted that when I reached 50 mph the fenders became level with the hood. The fenders were completely gone about a foot up from where they should have been attached at the bottom. One day while traveling down the road at about 55mph the fender final lost its grip and flew right off the truck. As luck would have it right in front of me was a police car. He pulled me over and gave me a ration of s@#$. He then said he would let me go if I agreed to take the "POS" off the road and have it scraped. His final words as he waived the ticket book in my face, "if I see you on the road again I will give you this ticket book and you can fill out each and every one because you know this POS is not road worthy, And could you please go back and pick up your fender."

Ok Im back, and I am greatful to see that I am not the only person who had a real SH#$ BOX!
And I must admit "I own a Cobra" although I built it(it started as a V-6)and it got out of controll
smile.gif

It is her daily driver now.It definatly hooks and goes "but" spoiled by the refined comfortability of my NSX I just dont want to drive it anymore.Other than an occasional tear down Firebird Raceway 10.98 is the best weve found(w/a 200 shot of N.O.S.of course)
Theres a guy coming to see it tomorrow A.M and if he,s got the cash and wants it he'll get it.I will buy her an NSX its difficult to get her out of it "but" I can be very persuasive especially when selling a product I find value in.
Anyway it is funny to read all these posts and has made this day a little lighter.Thanks
smile.gif

------------------

my first car was a genuine POS. (this was in '69), i bought a 57 ford fairlane with a 390 engine and 3 speed trans... 1st and reverse were inop so when i parked this gunboat, it was like landing a plane - do it right or "go around" and try it again. what a goat rodeo. anyway, vacuum operated windshield wipers, defroster didn't work... lets see, what else? oh yeah, throttle stuck on me once @~100 coming off an overpass into rush hour traffic (shut off motor, clutch in and braked like heck).

the good news? it was a GREAT ***drive in movie*** car (i know, i know... i'm old).

overnout.
hal

The biggest POS that I ever had was a 1983 Dodge Aries K Wagon with a 4 SPD tranny. Yep, you all read that right, I probably owned the only Aries K with a manual transmission. My mother only wanted me to drive a station wagon, and I only wanted to drive a shift car, how my father found this thing is still a mystery.

My first car was a 1981 Chevy Citation... The only car that Popular
Mechanics Magazine dubbed "The only Car ever built that was more
aerodynamic backwards than forwards".

smile.gif
Now thats funny and one butt ugly car.
And as for the K-cars, now thats a real beauty.Purely refined with awesome power.hehehe
smile.gif

------------------

1979 Toyota Celica ST (5 speed manual). It steered like a truck, seriously lacked power, and, by the time I started driving it in 1990, was plagued with electrical problems (my favorite was when the ignition coil went...I would be driving at full speed and my engine would just suddenly shut down). Every time I took a corner with any kind of speed I felt as if the car was going to roll. I did like the feeling of its shifter far better than my follow up car, an '88 Celica GT (also 5 speed manual).

That said, I can't really say that either of my Celicas were bad cars...but I certainly haven't missed them. And I definitely don't miss Toyota's service!

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '97 Honda Civic HX (black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

first car was a '64 ford falcon i drove in high school...

worst is a toss up between the '79 vette i bought used or my new ('78?) 280 ZX (it was the first year they went from Z to the ZX model but i can't remember the exact year...) electrical and overheating problems that were never fixed and no solutions from the dealer or nissan. it's the reason i will never ever buy a nissan product again.

------------------
K.V. Riggs
1998 NSX-T
Red/Tan
No mods...

First: 1934 Ford 2-dr Sedan (Olds 345 cu.in. with 4 sp hydromatic). Wish I had it back.

Worst: 2000 Lexus LX470. Super expensive pig with the build quality of a Yugo. Lost ~$5K, glad it's gone

Best: Close between my '93 300zx-tt or my '00 NSX. The NSX has the edge on several issues, but the Z is still a hot car. See below:

red.93.t.2.jpg

------------------
'00 Candy Apple Blue / Black

this is all too fun...

my first car was a buick century station wagon with that little v8. an "inherited car which my parents thought would keep me out of trouble". i was instantly surprised how many girls liked station wagons. how fast the car really was took a little longer to learn.

my buddy had a stock 'knight rider' which he thought was too cool. after six months of listening to him go on and on, i told him i would see how fast it really was. we lined up on the top of the hill next to our high school and jumped into his car. he punched it ran the several thousand yards and shut it down before we hit the high school. (the high school was dead in front of the street which ended in a T)

then we jumped in my little buick station wagon, gave him the stopwatch, and said"are you sure bout this". after listening to him give me the pos routine, i said "ok, but i warned you".

a few seconds later we were flying into the school parking lot at close to 80mph, hit the loose gravel right after the brake, and did a tight spin, coming to rest six inches before the school door. since we were sideways, with no way to drive out of our position, we had to climb out the passenger door, get his car, and pull the buick sideways.

we never knew whose time was fastest because he forgot to stop the watch, but we werent interested in doing it twice

he never mentioned the incident again, or about how fast his car was.

the funny footnote was the superintendent, who lived close the the school, called me into his office two months later. all he said was "you arent planning any future renovations for the front of the school, are you?" i asked what he meant and he said, "oh, just checking. its not in my budget and i wanted to make sure it wasnt in yours either..."

thanks for the stories guys, i havent thought of this in years. repressed memories of my stupidity? probably

My first car was a 1968 Plymouth RoadRunner, 383/335. It looed like a taxi cab on the inside and had 4 buttons on the entire dash.....lights, wipers, radio on/off and tuning dial. I loved that car and ran it up to 116k miles. Put a set of "Cherry Bomb" mufflers on it (about the size of a small salami)and it growled ! You younger guys may not quite understand the feeling of a big block monster, but they were tons of fun.

My worst cars were a 1976 Pontiac Grand Prix and a 1980 Buick Electra. What pieces of S**T ! Typical of GM IMHO.

Larry

My first car was a 1985 Toyota Corolla 5 speed. It wasn't bad at all although forgetable, bought it in '89. It wasn't my worst car.

The biggest POS I've ever owned, a 1991 BMW 850i. I bought it in '94 with very low miles. I used to be a big fan of both BMW and Honda. This car made me an anti-BMW forever. It's my first and last BMW.

The biggest POS I've ever owned is the car I'm currently driving, an '85 BMW 535i. Let me explain:

I bought the car about 2 years ago on a whim. I saw it parked on the street with a for sale sign and asked the owner how much he wanted for it. Managed to get it for $1300 bucks. It had 208K on it and was pretty beat up, but I thought it would be a fun project to fix it up and in the process acquire some mechanic skills.

The first thing the car needed were a new set of tie rods and center link. All excited, I order the parts and get to work with a pickle fork. After three days of banging the $#!7 out of the pickle fork, I only manage to seperate one of the 6 ball joints. I wind up giving up and paying someone to do it. Argh. I sort of give up on the car and leave it parked idle for a few months. In that time, I discover that one the wheel has a bad bead, so it has a slow leak. The spare is a different size rim than the others. So now I have a mutt collection of wheels on the car, three of them metric 390cms and one of them a steel 14".

Next, someone throws a rock through my rear driver's side window. I only have liability on the car, so I tape over it. That doesn't work too well, so I just take out the window.

In this state, the car isn't too bad, but here's the icing on the cake. I was pulling out of the carport with the car, and I notice that my friend's van's trunk is still open, so, I run out of the car to close the trunk, while the car is running and in neutral with the parking brake disengaged. As I'm closing the trunk, I hear crunch...The drivers door (which I had left open) caught against a pole in the carport as the car started rolling backwards... the door was open about 165 degrees. Ooops.

So the frame is bent and I cant close the driver's door anymore because the door latch doesn't align with the frame anymore. I close it as much as possible and use packing tape to keep the door kinda shut. this of course means that I cant roll up my driver's side window, AND I have to crawl into the car from the passenger's side.

So now I'm driving around during rainy season in Bay Area in a sedan that has no windows on the driver's side. As the windshield wipers are going, I have to wipe my face every few minutes as well, and rain kinda hurts when it hits your face at 65 mph. The car also smells like mildew. I guess onthe plus side, i have a nice view of the highway as I look through the gap on my partially closed door.

NSX content: I'm driving this because my nsx is being repaired after being in an accident. Two more weeks....

[This message has been edited by byang (edited 11 January 2002).]

[This message has been edited by byang (edited 11 January 2002).]

Originally posted by byang:
The biggest POS I've ever owned is the car I'm currently driving, an '85 BMW 535i. Let me explain:

I bought the car about 2 years ago on a whim. I saw it parked on the street with a for sale sign and asked the owner how much he wanted for it. Managed to get it for $1300 bucks. It had 208K on it and was pretty beat up, but I thought it would be a ...

Have you tried pushing it off a cliff yet? If you do it with a full tank of gas, it might give off a satisfying fireball at least.

Originally posted by JoeSchmoe:
Have you tried pushing it off a cliff yet? If you do it with a full tank of gas, it might give off a satisfying fireball at least.

So once I get my NSX back,I was planning on donating the BMW, but a couple of ideas have intruigued me:

1) Bring it to work along with some hammers and axes and have a "take your aggression out on the Bimmer day"

2) And this one really intruigues me: I 've always wondered if it were possible to put a car into reverse at, say 30 mph and dump the clutch. I'd guess that the car had a lockout gate, but if I pushed hard enough...

I told a coworker about this play, and he told me this story of how his driftshaft broke in half on his camaro 30 years ago and it hit the ground and literally pole-vaulted his car forward. He wound up crunching the nose of the car, but said it was one of the scariest 15 seconds of his life.

[This message has been edited by byang (edited 12 January 2002).]

Back