• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1994 NSX cleaning - restoration at 182,546 miles (*This is what crazy looks like.*)

Here are more pictures of the process... :)

I received several shipments that looked like this...all OEM parts. The only real way to do it to make the refresh proper for a car like this. Remove any rusted, corroded, or non-OEM parts, and correct them with exactly the right part number like Honda intended.

DSC_0272.jpg

Parts getting ready to go on the car now that I have the quarter panel back on.

DSC_0275.jpg

Another batch of parts with my newly stripped and repainted OEM front bumper beam.

DSC_0273.jpg

I actually got it back on the road just a short while ago, and promptly parked it in the garage again and covered it. I am in sales, and there was starting to be resentment from my customers, so I have had to leave my baby parked. :(

I don't work in sales but I still don't feel comfortable driving my NSX to work because people will think the car is much more expensive than it is, and I'm sure they already think us IT folk are overpaid. It's not like I work at a wealthy silicon valley company like Apple/Google/facebook, where even the janitors are millionaires and can afford Ferraris. :tongue::biggrin:

BTW, is that a Dora diaper next to those NSX parts Mitch? :eek:

Great work Mitch. I need to something similar but just don't have the time.

Heh?? Resentment from your customers about your car?

Yep. I started having customers telling me I must be getting paid too much, and it was causing issues, so I stopped driving it for work.

Okay...here is some more photo log of my obsession. :)

I noticed that the pillars were starting to have some paint issues, so I had them pulled and repainted, along with the top of the car.

DSC_0756-1.jpg

No restoration is complete without a total gutting of the interior and replacement of all worn parts.

DSC_0746-1.jpg

DSC_0747-1.jpg

While cleaning the underside, I noticed that my aluminum parts were in need of some love too...so here is what they looked like when they came off the car.

DSC_0620-1.jpg

....and after sending them off to be professionally dipped and refinished, they came back all shiny and new. :)

DSC_0744.jpg

DSC_0743-1.jpg

Of course there were some pieces that I could clean at home that did not need refinished, so I attacked those myself. All that pretty aluminum. :D

DSC_0506.jpg

With the exhaust heat shield gone, I may as well clean behind that....just in case. ;)

DSC_0423.jpg

DSC_0424.jpg

...and since I am at the back of the car anyway, time to polish behind the bumper beam, lights, and other assorted areas.

DSC_0753-1.jpg

After pudding around at the back of the car for a while, I noticed that the covers in my front bumper looked a little dull, so better replace those and the associated screws and clips too.

DSC_0563-1.jpg

Then I slid under the car and realized one of the battery cables was a bit corroded and dirty. Well...I cannot have that, so I replaced that and chucked the old dirty one. Yep....I have O.C.D. and I know it. LOL! :D

DSC_0616.jpg

dayum.jpg

I hope you're keeping track of all the hours and money you've invested in this project, so that we can get an idea of what it takes to tackle our own "refresh" program and compare to Honda's offering.

as the title says "this is what crazy looks like" amazing dedication to detail.I could not dream of dismantling my car with 4 and 7 yo boys:eek:

...and of course, the offending burnt out light bulb that started it all...when i removed it, I noticed that all of the lenses had holes drilled in them...so better replace all of those too.

DSC_0277-1.jpg

DSC_0279-1.jpg

....and no job in the garage is complete without Daddy's little helper. She was with me almost every day that I worked on the car. Some day this car will be hers, so at least she is putting in some wrench time. :)

DSC_0571.jpg

Hi,

After pudding around at the back of the car for a while, I noticed that the covers in my front bumper looked a little dull, so better replace those and the associated screws and clips too.

DSC_0563-1.jpg

after seeing this pic i'm like: "what are those black squarish covers?! never seen those before"...

i mean, i already removed my front bumper a couple of times but never noticed them... where are they located ?!

probably i didn't see them because my car never had them :confused:

Thanks,
Nuno

after seeing this pic i'm like: "what are those black squarish covers?! never seen those before"...

i mean, i already removed my front bumper a couple of times but never noticed them... where are they located ?!

probably i didn't see them because my car never had them :confused:

Thanks,
Nuno

Those are NSX skirt ducts and they're located behind the openings in the bumper where the daytime running lights would normally reside (for non-US vehicles).

Nice white wheels

someday I'm going to buy you a beer, just cuz you are insane and need it

Think I'll start a separate thread for you:

"Hey Mitch, don't forget to clean the ______________ "

Primers can add random parts that you have overlooked, if thats possible

are you replacing the main sealing rubbers around the doors? If so how much (I've heard they are quite pricey)

...I hope you're keeping track of all the hours and money you've invested in this project, so that we can get an idea of what it takes to tackle our own "refresh" program and compare to Honda's offering.

Yes, I keep very detailed records on my cars too. I have deliberately not totaled up my invoices so far because I know I am in the thousands of dollars, and still have more to do. You would be surprised how everything adds up when a Honda/Acura charges $2 and $4 PER BOLT, and little pieces of plastic are $50 or $80 apiece. It is okay though. This has never been about cost. It is about my love for this car, and keeping it as perfect as I can possibly keep it....while still driving it regularly too.

Wow! I really admire your dedication to detail. Job well done will bring much satisfaction. Also just wanted to mention those white wheels are sweet, and on a white car with a bit of red accent. NICE! real NICE look.

For crying out loud Meeeeyatch, finish that car already.
Then when that's done, respond to my post about your wanting to meet up at the Indy 500.
:biggrin:

Looking real good Mitch! Ya ever get your AC dealership issue resolved?

They called me Friday and said the parts are in. But I am hesitant to let them do the work, on account of the fact that they made it sound like the system would not hold any freon...yet, the car is blowing ICE COLD air right now, and it has been almost 100 degrees for several weeks straight. So I am not sure if the parts are really 'broken' or if there are simply some O-rings that need replaced and the tech is just too nervous to do only those.

Mitch I know you're sitting on pictures. Bump for more storytime before beddy bye.

Was looking up this 'old' thread again, simply because I somehow thought of it again.

Like Yinzer, I am wondering how things went after the your last update.
I mean, that young girl is almost ready to go to High School, so don't tell me you're still working on that NSX :) :)

Back