• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1994 NSX cleaning - restoration at 182,546 miles (*This is what crazy looks like.*)

The beer bottle mod has got to be worth at least 10 HP

:rolleyes:

DSC_0280.jpg

I would do it, but I doubt many people would want to pay what it takes to make it happen. :cool:

Where's the waiting list? I don't even have an NSX yet, but I'll put my name (and a deposit) down... :tongue:

All kidding aside...if anyone knows where I can find an OEM steel rear bumper beam in good condition, I need one to replace the one that was on the car. Without that, I am kind of stuck, and cannot put the back of the car together. :(

More updates! :)

So, I have removed a bunch of parts that have corrosion on them (* not in the picture are the mounting brackets for the bumper beams), and am having them refinished at a local anodizing facility. The person there said to make sure that they are 100% aluminum, or the parts will be ruined. Can anyone confirm that these parts are all 100% aluminum and okay for the anodizing process, please?

DSC_0620.jpg

Also, I went under the car and found some more items to update. Apparently the negative battery terminal is corroded, and will need replaced also. Here is what it looked like off of the car. A bunch of nasty white dust/powder came out of the black rubber boot at the end that was cut open by something.

DSC_0616.jpg

Mounting point for the negative battery terminal, and another undercarriage shot:

DSC_0617.jpg

With a lot of the rear pipes out (exhaust pipes, catalytic converter, muffler, etc), it is pretty open back here. :)

DSC_0618.jpg

DSC_0619.jpg

The Taitec JGTC Parallel Exit exhaust is in need of a polish. Any ideas on how to make it shine again?

DSC_0384.jpg

Tomorrow I order more small OEM nuts, bolts, and such from Acura of Augusta, so maybe I will have it done by the end of April. :biggrin:

Last edited:
As far as cleaning your exhaust muffler, it wouldn't be OEM but you might consider sending it off to Jet Hot Coatings and have it coated which will clean and give it a ceramic coating that is a work of art.
You might want to consider doing the headers as well, while you have easy access, to make them look new and reduce the engine compartment temp by 75 deg. F as it did on mine. Said to add three HP as well by containing the heat in the pipe until the outlet.

Cheers
nigel

Any idea on how much you've spent so far, and how more you have to budget to complete this project?

It's definitely an amazing project and I wish you the best of luck on it.

No idea how much I have spent, but I know it is a lot. I have decided it is better for my sanity not to keep track. Not really using a budget on this either. LOL! :D

Thank you for the encouragement. I look forward to getting it done and back on the road.

As far as cleaning your exhaust muffler, it wouldn't be OEM but you might consider sending it off to Jet Hot Coatings and have it coated which will clean and give it a ceramic coating that is a work of art.
You might want to consider doing the headers as well, while you have easy access, to make them look new and reduce the engine compartment temp by 75 deg. F as it did on mine. Said to add three HP as well by containing the heat in the pipe until the outlet.

Cheers
nigel

Thanks for the tip! That sounds like it may be a viable option, as I have thought of adding headers while I am at it.

Mitch,

I had my headers and most of my exhaust jet coated and it looks nice, but I had to ship everything to Phoenix. Recently, I found a place local that offers a similar ceramic coating.

Pro-Kote Indy, located on the NW side- near Traders Point.
8813 Robbins Rd, Indianapolis IN 46268. Ph# 317-872-0001

I sent my Comp-Tech parts to "Jet Hot Coating" in Alabama or Mississippi I think.
It was s$220.00 for both headers and both adapters. Lifetime gurantee.
I think there's somebody out by the track that does it now so you could at least save the $40 freight.
I can check with my buddy that works for Mike Andretti if you want, that does all the in town Indy Car shops.
I haven't heard anything about Pro-Kote but Zionsville is close and i'm sure it's the same process.

Cheers
nigel

Last edited:
Wow. What an amazing project! Are you anywhere near the finish line?

This is truly an invaluable thread. If my wife ever questions any time or $$$ spent on my NSX, I will refer her to this herculean effort.

Okay...so I have been slacking on updates...so here we go! :)

So at this point my wife was wanting to kill me for having stuff all over the garage, and thought I would never have my car put back together again. Although, at the time of this picture I did have the quarter panel and some other big pieces back on the car so that it looked like an NSX again.

bf976eba.jpg

Having removed all of my interior, I took great care in detailing all of the computers and wiring that are located behind the interior panels behind the seats.

f2d10a55.jpg

Looks like more interior parts are in need of some love and scrubbing.

21e05b7b.jpg

I am fairly certain that these parts are supposed to be bolted onto the car somewhere...LOL! Notice another shipment of OEM bolts, nuts, fasteners, and miscellaneous parts have arrived. :)

9f8dde40.jpg

Removed the front fenders and scrubbed the chassis behind them. So pretty and clean.

3e34e7a2.jpg

More scrubbing of chassis parts. This is the front edge of the passenger door, and the chassis behind the fender.

893b09c4.jpg

Lots of dirt behind the front bumper.

c0100559.jpg

More dirt from over 182,000 miles of daily driving built up behind the front bumper.

5e59ce7c.jpg

New mounting clips replaced the old dirty and rusting ones, and everything nice clean and conditioned.

b1c3df15.jpg

c04fa9d0.jpg

fb5cbaac.jpg

Scrubbing the dirty light bulbs and other pieces with an old tooth brush, Windex, and a whole lot of time and patience. ;)

b60a8b73.jpg

People asked why I spent a significant amount of money on getting OEM replacement clips, bolts, and miscellaneous parts. I think these pictures speak for themselves. Guess which ones were the old parts. These little touches make all the difference on keeping a car look 'fresh'.

db0130b2.jpg

41e44c4c.jpg

Last edited:
I have more pictures on my actual camera that I will upload as soon as I get them organized, but hopefully these can give a bit of an insight to exactly how crazy I am about my trusty 1994 NSX. It may have over 183,000 miles now, but I still love it. Well over 10 years behind the wheel, and deserving of this level of love and care. :cool:

Last edited:
After all this time in pieces, you have got to miss driving her. Hopefully the end is near for having her all back together and on the road again.

After all this time in pieces, you have got to miss driving her. Hopefully the end is near for having her all back together and on the road again.

I actually got it back on the road just a short while ago, and promptly parked it in the garage again and covered it. I am in sales, and there was starting to be resentment from my customers, so I have had to leave my baby parked. :(

Back