• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1994 NSX cleaning - restoration at 182,546 miles (*This is what crazy looks like.*)

So I have long been told that I am nuts. Usually for various things, but as it relates to my NSX, people say it because I do things with my car that most people would never do. Using it as a daily driver and track rat, driving it in monsoon rain storms, driving it in the snow, ice, dirt and mud, driving it with no regard for re-sale value or mileage, hauling my lawn mower, mulch, kegs of beer, and drunk girls who pile themselves 2 and 3 high on the passenger side, and other things that would make even an SUV cringe. Why? Because I can, and because it amuses me. I love my car, but I am not afraid to use it, and it makes for some pretty cool stories. :)

Most of the people that do not know me wrongly assume that my car must be beat down, but it is not. Those who know me and have seen my car will attest to it being in better shape than most cars with 30,000 miles. Why is my 1994 NSX with 182,546 miles and counting in better shape mechanically and cosmetically than NSXs with a fraction of the mileage? See paragraph one about me being crazy, and read the rest of this post and you will quickly understand why. :tongue:

For years I have made a ritual of putting my car in the air usually twice a year and scrubbing the entire underside and suspension from the front to the back to keep it clean and pretty, and to check for any worn parts that may need replaced, or maintenance that may need done (how many of you 'weekend drivers' do that?). Well, a couple of months ago I was down in Georgia and an Acura dealer mentioned that my front turn signal bulb was out, and asked if I wanted it replaced. Not wanting to pay the $26 to change a $2 bulb, I declined and opted to wait until I got home to just change it myself. This is where the slippery slope began. :biggrin:

Fast forward through October where the car did not get much use due to much of my work taking me to neighborhoods of 'challenged' economic status, and my decision that driving my NSX to these areas would probably be bad for my lifespan, and my NSXs. So this takes us to the beginning of December and the reminder that I still had not changed that stupid bulb in the turn signal! So I put the car on jack stands, figuring I may as well pop off the wheels and get them cleaned inside and out too, and then popped out the turn signal lens from the right front fender. POP! Out it came, and to my surprise, the owner before me (this would be 12 years ago) must have decided to drill into the lens and install little strobe lights. So the slow guinea pigs on the wobbly treadmill that is my brain said, 'Well...this will never do. I need to replace this who assembly, and remove all this stupid strobe wiring,' and off came the entire fender for better access.

It did not take long to see that the wiring ran behind the front bumper, and also did not take long to realize that the inner splash shields were a bit tattered. 'Shoot! I may as well replace this stuff too. I mean, I cannot have my car looking worn,' so I yanked the plastic inner fender wells and removed the front bumper. This was my watershed moment. Because at this time I noticed there were corroded bolts behind the fender well guards and the front bumper. I hate corroded bolts and corrosion in general. It drives me up the wall. So that dim bulb in my head flickered a few times, and I finally said, 'To hell with it. I am tearing this whole car down, cleaning everything inside and out, and replacing any and ALL parts that are torn, worn, tattered, corroded, discolored, or otherwise not at the top of their game. I want my car to look as perfect as possible, and if it takes me 4 months or more to do it, I don't care'....and so it began. :smile:

This is what I started with:

DSC_0667.jpg

This is the first night, where I started to 'just change a lightbulb':

DSC_0555.jpg

DSC_0561.jpg

DSC_0553.jpg

DSC_0557.jpg

DSC_0559.jpg

Notice the cool little vent flaps for the trunk and passenger cabin. Kind of neat, eh?

DSC_0558.jpg

Moving on to the interior....I may as well gut that and clean it top to bottom too. I am sure SOMETHING needs replaced in here. :) :

DSC_0746.jpg

DSC_0747.jpg

(* It actually amazed me how dirty the headliner was once I got it out of the car. When they are in the car, you never really get light on them to see the dirt that gathers over time.)

I had these C-pillars and the roof repainted too. I figured it was time. 17 years and over 182k miles had taken their toll, and 'Phantom' deserves to stand tall. :)

DSC_0756.jpg

December 19, 2011...more tear down and cleaning:

DSC_0742.jpg

All pretty and clean behind the quarter panel now. It is AMAZING how much better it looks in person with the grime all gone (notice the clean suspension too):

DSC_0752.jpg

Popped up the lights to get them ready for removal and cleaning, and also removed several underbody panels, the exhaust, and several aluminum support braces and brackets underneath for cleaning and / or replacement:

DSC_0739.jpg

DSC_0745.jpg

This pictures shows you how one side is washed, and the other is not. Lots of dirt back there:

DSC_0748.jpg

That pesky bumper support looked like crap. So I pulled it off, scrubbed some more, and sent the front and rear bumper support beams out for full media blasting and repainting:

DSC_0753.jpg

f559b43e.jpg

I will be updating as more progress happens. But my goal is to make the car as close to perfect as I can. It is 1 of 20 Grand Prix White / Onyx NSXs made in 1994 with a 5-speed manual transmission, and I figure that my buddy deserves the 'spa treatment'. Stay tuned. I may need help on finding parts, as some are not showing available anymore. Actually, in a bit of irony, I cannot seem to locate any availability of the right front fender turn signal / marker light assembly that started this whole adventure. If you have one, or know where I can get one, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Wish me luck!! Or at least drop by and bring me a beer. ;)

Last edited:
subscribed!

are you in barrie, ontario canada? if so i would bring over a case of beer and applaud you for your efforts!

subscribed!

are you in barrie, ontario canada? if so i would bring over a case of beer and applaud you for your efforts!

I live in Indianapolis, IN primarily....but will be in Barrie on Friday, and there through January 2, 2012 for the holidays since I have family there. So if you want to grab a beer and discuss insanity, I am up for it. :D

Where are you located?

Isn't it strange how things can just snowball out of control?!

I am just about the same way...only dialed down...a bit...more like a smidge...just a little.

Subscribed. Car is looking great! Keep us updated with all the happenings and if you're ever in SoCal I will buy you a beer for all of your hard work.

Mitch

I found remouting the quarters a pita sometimes getting it just perfect again.

Welcome to the insanity, i went through the same process and now have this OCD of replacing bolts with OEM I found on the car that were not OEM. Soon you will be scrubbing tht aluminum which in the end you will appreciate if you go this route.

Glad to see a DIYer

Gil

Isn't it strange how things can just snowball out of control?!

I am just about the same way...only dialed down...a bit...more like a smidge...just a little.

Subscribed. Car is looking great! Keep us updated with all the happenings and if you're ever in SoCal I will buy you a beer for all of your hard work.

Thanks for the moral support!

My local friends and family saw the car in the garage and said, 'What the hell happened?? Did you get in an accident,' and when I said, 'No. I am just cleaning and such,' they looked at me like I had just told them they had 2 minutes to live and their clothes were on fire. Then all of them followed up the shock with comments along the lines of, 'I sure hope you know how to put that all back together'. :biggrin:

Mitch

I found remouting the quarters a pita sometimes getting it just perfect again.

Welcome to the insanity, i went through the same process and now have this OCD of replacing bolts with OEM I found on the car that were not OEM. Soon you will be scrubbing tht aluminum which in the end you will appreciate if you go this route.

Glad to see a DIYer

Gil

LOL!! I am replacing the bolts because I scrubbed and cannot get them clean enough. The aluminum will be scrubbed too. Any tips on what to use to get it as close to factory perfect as possible? Some parts I will probably just replace with new ones.

I have replaced a quarter before, and it was a pain to get straight. Never quite *perfect*.

Great job so far Mitch!

So I'm guessing from two statements above by you and Gil that I SHOULDN'T remove my quarter panels for my vinyl wrap :biggrin:

Thanks...and, no. I would not remove them if you don't have to. Getting them off of the car is relatively easy (except for a couple of hidden bolts that can be a pisser). But getting the panel re-aligned with the trunk and such is VERY difficult.

LOL!! I am replacing the bolts because I scrubbed and cannot get them clean enough. The aluminum will be scrubbed too. Any tips on what to use to get it as close to factory perfect as possible? Some parts I will probably just replace with new ones.

I have replaced a quarter before, and it was a pain to get straight. Never quite *perfect*.

I used baking soda and added small amounts of vinegar till it became a paste, depending on how dirty your aluminum is will depict what you use to wipe the paste on and work in to the aluminum. I first pressure washed everything I could. Made the baking soda and vinegar paste. Applied with a terry cloth. Some portions were stubborn so I used Grey scuff pads with the paste from my local automotive paint shop and magic started to appear. Other primers have followed suit and even sealed the aluminum. I can not recall the name of the substance, I believe NsxNohio <<<< I think that is his screen name has done the same.

I used baking soda and added small amounts of vinegar till it became a paste, depending on how dirty your aluminum is will depict what you use to wipe the paste on and work in to the aluminum. I first pressure washed everything I could. Made the baking soda and vinegar paste. Applied with a terry cloth. Some portions were stubborn so I used Grey scuff pads with the paste from my local automotive paint shop and magic started to appear. Other primers have followed suit and even sealed the aluminum. I can not recall the name of the substance, I believe NsxNohio <<<< I think that is his screen name has done the same.

Cool! Thanks! I really would like to be able to restore as many of the original pieces as possible.

Oh man your sure are crazy. I might be just like you just not as bad though lol. Last month I jacked the car up just like you did, pulled all the wheels off, and started to clean all the crud off the suspension components. I was having a hard time rubbing some of the road tar off the top aluminum wishbone piece. After a while I noticed I had polished, to a near mirror finish, the top wishbone from my rear supsension assembly lol. Since one of them looked shiny I started to go at it for all the other pieces. While I was at it I started to scrub all the road grime and polish the aluminum parts on the underside of the car too :tongue:. I'm still not done yet will probably have to continue in the beginning of January.

Hey Mitch,

How hard is it to get the front bumper off? I have a burnt out bulb and it appears whoever had owned my car had tie wrapped the turn signal in place! I can't figure any other way to get to this tie wrap than to remove and dissmantle the top bumper piece. I have already ordered the clip that the screw is suppose to thread into.

Last edited:
....Hey Mitch,

How hard is it to get the front bumper off? I have a burnt out bulb and it appears whoever had owned my car had tie wrapped the turn signal in place! I can't figure any other way to get to this tie wrap than to remove and dissmantle the top bumper piece. I have already ordered the clip that the screw is suppose to thread into.

It is pretty easy. Takes about 15 - 20 minutes. There are some 'hidden' bolts. If you cannot find the directions for removal online, let me know. I can copy and fax you the pages out of the shop manual I have. Actually, come to think of it, you have to remove those turn signals in the bumper to get to a couple of the bolts to take the bumper off.

Last edited:
It is pretty easy. Takes about 15 - 20 minutes. There are some 'hidden' bolts. If you cannot find the directions for removal online, let me know. I can copy and fax you the pages out of the shop manual I have.

Awesome I'll probably try to take them off tomorrow morning then. I saw the instructions on how to do them but I'm thinking the directions are making it sound easier than it really is. It's driving me nuts knowing tie wraps are holding this turn signal together lol!

You just proved to my wife that I am not as obssessed with my car as much as she believes that I am.

thank you for providing this valuable public service

-

if you ever find yourself in Phoenix, I'm buying the beers

Last edited:
I applaud your commitment and insanity. Doing just the shocks is tiring enough, can't even imaging having the whole car open like this. Just getting the nylox bolts for the shock replacement was a pita.

subscribed. I wish you luck in securing all the parts and putting it all back squeaky clean.

call me bro.. there is a trick to it.. and they are not hidden bolts.. they are butterfly nuts (look like sunflowers)

get a 30" or longer flathead and somthing to tap the end with... they arent the the q-panel.. its the PITA

Great job so far Mitch!

So I'm guessing from two statements above by you and Gil that I SHOULDN'T remove my quarter panels for my vinyl wrap :biggrin:

steve,,, your just gonna call me in the middle of the night anyway

Thanks...and, no. I would not remove them if you don't have to. Getting them off of the car is relatively easy (except for a couple of hidden bolts that can be a pisser). But getting the panel re-aligned with the trunk and such is VERY difficult.

like i said.. call me.. there is a trick..
Cool! Thanks! I really would like to be able to restore as many of the original pieces as possible.

start a list of hardware you need.. ill make a bag for ya.. i use nsx bolts to put projects at home together .. i have more than i need

mad props bro.. I sold that motor to someone who cares,.. it all worked out

Regards

Back