• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AP-X custom subwoofer enclosures

Re: new sub boxes

I am only trying to build what people said they wanted , I do the inset design as well , as far as carpet problems , some would like the box over and some would like it under , personal choice , I feel my enclosure differs from the toolbox enough (in construction , materials etc. , otherwise I would have just bought the toolman's molds) I hope I can get some feedback on sound quality.

The fit, finish, and SQ with the SWS 10" is 10X better than my old (slightly volume starved) kicker sb 8"! Not really exactly sure how to quantify it better. :D

The fit, finish, and SQ with the SWS 10" is 10X better than my old (slightly volume starved) kicker sb 8"! Not really exactly sure how to quantify it better. :D
I wish sound wasn't so subjective. Some ppl swear the solora enclosure was very good sounding. Again, subjective because to me it didn't sound good at all (just imho) when I finally heard it in person.

Damnit! :biggrin: I was just in Flagstaff & Phoenix this past weekend. I would have dropped by for a listen.

I'd like to hear more about your solobaric 8"? Was it in the same enclosure as Wil's? In my experience you need to send a bunch of power to the SBs just for them to sound decent but still good for small enclosures.

The SWS is definitely one of the best sounding woofers for this enclosure , the solobaric can also be a good alternative, I think Erin was saying that his was in a box that was too small . The theory behind the solobaric is simple , they doubled the cone mass and also the magnet size , hence the reference to "isobaric" , where you use two drivers physically coupled , and an enclosure half the normal size - this means you need way more power too.

I wish sound wasn't so subjective. Some ppl swear the solora enclosure was very good sounding. Again, subjective because to me it didn't sound good at all (just imho) when I finally heard it in person.

Damnit! :biggrin: I was just in Flagstaff & Phoenix this past weekend. I would have dropped by for a listen.

I'd like to hear more about your solobaric 8"? Was it in the same enclosure as Wil's? In my experience you need to send a bunch of power to the SBs just for them to sound decent but still good for small enclosures.

Yup, should have dropped in for a listen. :) You're correct, it is extremely subjective. I've had a lot of high-end audio systems in various vehicles (by high end I mean I spend maybe around $3-$6K on the system which could equate to low end for some of the audiophiles around here :D). Some with tons of room to spare for subwoofers, some with next to nothing (like the NSX). Wil's box with the SWS subwoofer sounds great... not out of this world like some of my former setups with available cubes going on for miles, but definitely great - especially considering what we have to work with. In general, I've always done ported box designs to really hammer around 40Hz and that's what I'm used to in a car. This box, like the sealed box w/ the SB I had before it in the NSX, is of course a much different sound so its hard for me to make an objective comparison to my past setups - other than it sounds "high end." I could measure SPL, but that's probably a secondary consideration for most - as it is for me.

As far as the 8" SB I had previously, the box was too small for it and maybe it was underpowered with 250W RMS to it. Either way, there is no comparison with the new box, same amp, and new SWS sub. I doubt you'd find anybody who argued that SQL was not greatly improved, and SPL certainly is (tuned with a scope to max SPL before clipping) probably due to the greater air mass being rammed into your ears. :)

Last edited:

Yup, should have dropped in for a listen. :) You're correct, it is extremely subjective. I've had a lot of high-end audio systems in various vehicles (by high end I mean I spend maybe around $3-$6K on the system which could equate to low end for some of the audiophiles around here :D). Some with tons of room to spare for subwoofers, some with next to nothing (like the NSX). Wil's box with the SWS subwoofer sounds great... not out of this world like some of my former setups with available cubes going on for miles, but definitely great - especially considering what we have to work with. In general, I've always done ported box designs to really hammer around 40Hz and that's what I'm used to in a car. This box, like the sealed box w/ the SB I had before it in the NSX, is of course a much different sound so its hard for me to make an objective comparison to my past setups - other than it sounds "high end." I could measure SPL, but that's probably a secondary consideration for most - as it is for me.

As far as the 8" SB I had previously, the box was too small for it and maybe it was underpowered with 250W RMS to it. Either way, there is no comparison with the new box, same amp, and new SWS sub. I doubt you'd find anybody who argued that SQL was not greatly improved, and SPL certainly is (tuned with a scope to max SPL before clipping) probably due to the greater air mass being rammed into your ears. :)

Thanks Erin for posting your experience with my enclosure , I am glad you like it .

I will be offering this box , fully assembled with a Pioneer premier 10" shallow woofer for $495

OR

with a earthquake SWS 10" for $530

I will be offering this box , fully assembled with a Pioneer premier 10" shallow woofer for $495

OR

with a earthquake SWS 10" for $530

Does this include the grill to protect the woofer, the banana plugs, and shipping?

At this price I can include a binding post terminal cup , and shipping , the grille you will need to supply (if you want one)

I will be installing one of my sub boxes with a 12" earthquake SWS , it does fit the box , and I will be reporting on the sound.

Do you think it can fit a JL Audio 13TW5? IF you can fit a 12" This should fit as well. This thing should crank!

13TW5Comparison_MI.png

Do you think it can fit a JL Audio 13TW5? IF you can fit a 12" This should fit as well. This thing should crank!

13TW5Comparison_MI.png

Believe me , this would be great , unfortunately it will not work , the earthquake SWS 12 is 12" O.D. this is the max! The JL 13wt5 is 13" (12.96 to be exact) The mounting hole for the JL is 12.5" , the SWS only needs a 11" hole .

The 13wt5 also requires .8 cu. ft. making this .5 enclosure to small , the eartquake 12" needs .51 and should work great , my bet would be that it will outperform the JL IN THIS SIZE ENCLOSURE.

I am waiting patiently for the 10" !

Last edited:

Believe me , this would be great , unfortunately it will not work , the earthquake SWS 12 is 12" O.D. this is the max! The JL 13wt5 is 13" (12.96 to be exact) The mounting hole for the JL is 12.5" , the SWS only needs a 11" hole .

The 13wt5 also requires .8 cu. ft. making this .5 enclosure to small , the eartquake 12" needs .51 and should work great , my bet would be that it will outperform the JL IN THIS SIZE ENCLOSURE.

I am waiting patiently for the 10" !
Yea I was pretty sure it wasn't going to fit. You can get an extra .1 cu. ft. by stuffing the box. But I agree the SWS 12 probably will win in this small space (if the 13TW5 were to magically fit).

Put me in for a SWS 10 inch then.

Yea I was pretty sure it wasn't going to fit. You can get an extra .1 cu. ft. by stuffing the box. But I agree the SWS 12 probably will win in this small space (if the 13TW5 were to magically fit).

Put me in for a SWS 10 inch then.

OK , I will let you know when it is ready to go .

I have just finished the install of a 12" earthquake SWS in this enclosure , it is the most bass I have ever heard in an NSX!!!

I will post pics soon , this sub maxes out the surface area of the box , but still has sufficient airspace ( requires .51 , but earthquake states it will work in under.5)

Pm me if interested

I have just finished the install of a 12" earthquake SWS in this enclosure , it is the most bass I have ever heard in an NSX!!!

I will post pics soon , this sub maxes out the surface area of the box , but still has sufficient airspace ( requires .51 , but earthquake states it will work in under.5)

Pm me if interested

Post up the pics and does installing the 12" still leave enough room to put on a a protective cover for the subwoofer? Wouldn't want the passenger to kick the subwoofer in....

Post up the pics and does installing the 12" still leave enough room to put on a a protective cover for the subwoofer? Wouldn't want the passenger to kick the subwoofer in....

I will post some pics soon , you would need some creativity to get a grille on it , but it can be done .

I'd like to see this. The 8" sub in my NSX right now isn't doing it for me. :rolleyes:
I've always had 12's in all my other cars.

I will be offering the 10" version of my enclosure for $350 Shipped (no sub) .

I have Pioneer , Earthquake (10" and 12") and Kenwwod woofers in stock at competitive pricing as well .

Assembly and wiring is free.

Anyone around me (San Gabriel, CA) have one of these installed yet? I'd love to take a listen. I'll be upgrading audio gear in about a month.

Nobody that I know of , however I promise you will not be dissapointed at all . This enclosure provides no loss in legroom with just shy of .5 cu. ft. it is the only solution for the NSX that allows the use of a 12" woofer and includes other noteworthy features such as a 3/4 MDF baffle , vacuum molded hi-density fiberglass and they are available with flat or countersunk face and a hole to fit any sub from 6" to 12" (the only 12" currently tested is the earthquake SWS 12)

funny, your last post just answered a question I was about to ask. :wink: 3/4" MDF baffle. So for the 12 what kind of creativity are we talking to get a grille on it?

Attachments

• IMG_0799.jpg
    IMG_0799.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 742
Last edited:

OK guys , here is a pic of the 12" as you can see the box is maxed out , but the airspace is correct for the SWS 12 .

To get a grill on it would actually be pretty easy , I think this would work:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-SPEAKER-BAR-...in_0?hash=item5ad278fe85&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Looking at this photo, it does not appear to be no loss of foot space from stock. What is the dimension flat on the floor from the front of the bolt holding the seat in to where your box meets the floorboard?

Back