• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best year NA1

Hi im new to the site and i am looking for a nsx. I prefer a hardtop. What do you think is the best year NA1 and why?

P.S. I hope this is the right place, if not please move it to the right place

Last edited:
I would say the 1994 models are. The 94's no longer have the snap ring issue, have a revised method of cutting the gears so that the transmission is quieter, have a revised center console, have passenger side air bag, and 16/17 inch gunmetal 7 spoke wheels stock. Of course most of these changes with the exception of the wheels and gear cut method can also be found on the 1993, but since the 1994 comes with more revisions, the 1994's are the best in my opinion.

1994...especially if you can find a green one! :biggrin::biggrin: Green 1994's were the only NA1's to have a color matching hard top roof in addition to everything s14_tat said. The only thing that could be better would be if you could find one of those ever-elusive Oracle cars!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have a 91 and I would agree with the 94 summation by others here. Anytime you can get the latest upgrades your better off. They're harder to find but that's a good year. I passed on a white one in Arizona another Primer bought and he loves it and it had a black top. I love the two tone. The green one is the only one that year that had a matching roof color. Good luck to you in your search. You will love the car.

I'll second what the guys above said that the green 94 is the best year NA1! Don't mind that I'm slightly biased in that opinion however. :biggrin:

Joking aside, I believe the 94 was also the last year for OBD1, which is the older, simpler CPU programming utilizing 1 O2 sensor vs 2. I also hear the 95+ uses Drive by Wire throttle, but cannot fully confirm that at the moment.

1994...especially if you can find a green one! :biggrin::biggrin: Green 1994's were the only NA1's to have a color matching hard top roof in addition to everything s14_tat said. The only thing that could be better would be if you could find one of those ever-elusive Oracle cars!:rolleyes:

Like everyone said....94 would be your best bet interms of hardtop NA1. As far as the statement of "Green 1994's were the only NA1's to have a color matching hard top roof", that's not totally true....how about a 94 Berlina black? They also have matching roofs.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Like everyone said....94 would be your best bet interms of hardtop NA1. As far as the statement of "Green 1994's were the only NA1's to have a color matching hard top roof", that's not totally true....how about a 94 Belina black? They also have matching roofs.:rolleyes:

The first few green ones also have a black roof as well.

edit: I just realized that black is not a color. So that statement about greens being the only COLOR to have color matching roofs is correct. =)

Last edited:
I'll go with '94 as well, for all of the above reasons (and obvious biased reasons too).....

Good luck, there are only 512 total of them out there. Well, 511, mine isn't available any time soon! :)

The first few green ones also have a black roof as well.

edit: I just realized that black is not a color. So that statement about greens being the only COLOR to have color matching roofs is correct. =)

Technically speaking you are right, but I was mainly refering to the statement made only NA1's to have a color matching hard top roof which is not entirely true depending on how you view/read the statement.:wink:

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply guys. Ive had a 89 MR2 sence i was 18 and now im looking to move up in the car world :biggrin:

Btw brooklands green is kinda hot

Last edited:
I'm going to guess that for the US-Spec cars, it would be the very few 1996 Coupes that were built. 1996 has everything the 1994 cars have, and it has the updated exhaust tips, and if I'm not mistaken, it also has the chassis reinforcements of the T.

Some purists might say that 1992 would be the best, because it saves weight by not having passenger airbag, no cupholders, etc., as these items were added in 1993.

I'm going to guess that for the US-Spec cars, it would be the very few 1996 Coupes that were built. 1996 has everything the 1994 cars have, and it has the updated exhaust tips, and if I'm not mistaken, it also has the chassis reinforcements of the T.

Some purists might say that 1992 would be the best, because it saves weight by not having passenger airbag, no cupholders, etc., as these items were added in 1993.

After digging a bit more, it's going to be a tossup between 1994 and 1996, depending on whether you prefer power or manual steering. While I prefer the manual steering of the 1994, I think I might sacrifice the manual steering to get the stiffer chassis reinforcements of the 1996.

After digging a bit more, it's going to be a tossup between 1994 and 1996, depending on whether you prefer power or manual steering. While I prefer the manual steering of the 1994, I think I might sacrifice the manual steering to get the stiffer chassis reinforcements of the 1996.

Im coming from a MR2 that has no power steering so I dont think that no power steering would be that big of a deal. How heavy is the steering in a non power steering car. How much stiffer is the chassis in a 96 car compaired to a 94 car?

After careful consideration, I believe I will have to agree with you. You are truly wise, my friend.

:biggrin:

thank you, thank you :wink:

I personally love the fact that there is no power steering... I feel more in control, just takes a little getting used to if you are parking the car anywhere.

As well, I dont think the 94 is much heavier.. I mean come on, the "cup holders" in my car couldn't weigh much more than a feather

Im coming from a MR2 that has no power steering so I dont think that no power steering would be that big of a deal. How heavy is the steering in a non power steering car. How much stiffer is the chassis in a 96 car compaired to a 94 car?

For the power steering question, the answer you get depends on who you ask. I personally prefer the manual steering. I've gotten used to it, and doesn't bother me, even for parallel parking maneuvers.

The chassis of the '96 Coupe is stiff enough that Honda deemed the rear brace unnecessary on '96 and all subsequent Coupes.

Good luck finding a 96 coupe :smile:

Heh, the thread didn't say they had to be readily available, just that which was the best year for an NA1 Coupe. :wink:

As well, I dont think the 94 is much heavier.. I mean come on, the "cup holders" in my car couldn't weigh much more than a feather

Compared to the 1992s, I think the passenger airbag probably is a significant source of weight. The '94 wheels/tires are also heavier.

I like the no power steering in my MR2 so now I guess I have to find somebody with a 91-94 car to take me for a drive / let me drive:wink:

Thanks for the reply guys. Ive had a 89 MR2 sence i was 18 and now im looking to move up in the car world :biggrin:

Btw brooklands green is kinda hot

HA! I moved up from a MR2 also but it was a 91 you will totally forget about that car as soon as you get your hands on a NSX:biggrin: 94 is probably your best bet for performance reasons and 96 for style reasons (gotta love the targa top:wink:) finding a 96 coupe will be hard indeed there is only 4 of them

Back