• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Broken shift forks

First off, long time lurker, bought my '92 from the site roughly 2 years ago and have been eternally grateful for the support this site and its members provides. I am currently having my 5sp transmission rebuilt and the shop doing the work has discovered that the 3-4 shift fork is done for. Calls to SOS and various dealers (local and online) have been unsuccessful in regards to locating a replacement. Essentially I'm reaching out to the community for possible leads on where I can obtain one of these damn things. Thanks in advance!

Remember the option to designate it as critical back order, which apparently can speed up the process considerably.

Remember the option to designate it as critical back order, which apparently can speed up the process considerably.

Ahhh....I do remember reading a thread on here about that a few days ago, maybe in the engine cover thread. I'll give that a go and see what happens I guess.

You might try to locate it in Japan directly as some parts gearbox internals seems to be discontinued in the US and EU but not in Japan.

Yes just have your dealer put it on CBO (Critical back order) You will need to supply a VIN, and you will have your part in about 2 weeks;)...

24211-PR8-000 FORK, SHIFT (3-4) Interesting enough that is the only one not discontinued. Do it NOW:).....

Last edited:
Why did the shift fork fail?

Just an update to the thread. Called around and finally just put this on critical back order last week. Part has shipped today, about a week later, and I should have it in a few days so all in all it was a pretty quick process.

Larry, maybe the part has been stocked in the last week? I called everywhere last week and everyone said the same thing, back order.

S14, no idea why the fork failed, shop that is doing the work has the tranny open and let me know the fork was out of spec.

regarding the timing for delivery it depends exactly where one was located based on the CBO. I mentioned 2 weeks, assuming the part was actually coming from Japan......

Did you feel anything funny while shifting? What are the signs of a failing shifter fork?

Thats hard to say really. When I first bought the car there was a ton of difficulty downshifting from 4-3, so much so that I almost always had to either skip the gear completely or go from 4-2 and then to third. Not a huge deal as I hardly ever drive the thing but it was something that (along with the passenger window) drove me nuts. I haven't seen pictures of the fork now that the tranny is getting rebuilt. I thought it was bad synchros that was causing the difficult shift but maybe this was making it worse? No way to tell now since it's all new stuff in there.

Huh... I get some trouble shifting out of gear sometimes (mostly 5th but I have seen it in 4th) and was not sure if that was related. Other than that the transmission has been buttery smooth. How much would a rebuild cost?

EDIT: Probably because I am not pressing the clutch pedal all the way in as I shift out.

Last edited:
Back