• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building A New Race NSX @ Driving Ambition

Wow....
Where are the wood screws? :biggrin:

Can't wait to see the end result.

Update,
We got the chassis back from powder coating late last week and started to assemble everything. Cheers, Shad

Attachments

• IMG_1001small.jpg
    IMG_1001small.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 789
  • IMG_1003small.jpg
    IMG_1003small.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 909
  • IMG_1013small.jpg
    IMG_1013small.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 733
  • IMG_1017small.jpg
    IMG_1017small.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 721
  • IMG_1018small.jpg
    IMG_1018small.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 746
  • IMG_1021small.jpg
    IMG_1021small.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 775
  • IMG_1024small.jpg
    IMG_1024small.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 736
  • IMG_1025small.jpg
    IMG_1025small.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 631
  • IMG_1027small.jpg
    IMG_1027small.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 654
very nice job powder coating the whole chasis, ive never thought abuot that!(have seen frames powdercoated on full retorations on chip foose's show though)

Re: Powdercoating; hiding something?

There are quite a few racers in my cyberworld who believe that paint on a frame is better than powdercoat for practical reasons; like powedercoating can hide small early cracking of the frame. Don't know myself and would never question Shad's expereince or judgment, just sayin' that's one opinion out there. Maybe just an old wive's tale?

No you are correct in your assessment, my childhood friend and close friend Brad Hadman had this exact issue happen with a top fuel chassis for one of his customers years ago when the investigation showed the frame to have hairline cracks that went undetected and since has gone to no paint what so ever on the chassis he builds for this type of competition. I am not placing judgement on the validity of the decision here either it is one of personal choice and their own dilligence in observation of frame condition. Just sharing a personal experience also as you are!

Those issues are for tube frames, not a unibody like the NSX. Porsche used to put a pressure gauge in their super light weight frames so the driver could tell when it was cracked!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_908

The powdercoat is really thin on Kip's car, I was impressed with how little build up there was when I saw the car on Monday. Very nice work!

Now if I could only learn to drive the car hard enough to crack something than I could worry but for now I think I'm safe :tongue:

Shad/Kip let me try :biggrin:

Crack detection is important for everything under stress not just tube frames, in the areospace industry where I work any stressed component has to be verified. I even crack check the carbon fiber chassis of my race car. However your point is well taken and the methodology from the old porsche tube frame is really old technology there are much better methods today and I dought porsche would still use that methodology.

Update,
Here are some pictures of the building progress and hopefully we will be starting the car tomorrow. Cheers, Shad

Attachments

• IMG_1045small.jpg
    IMG_1045small.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_1049small.jpg
    IMG_1049small.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_1051small.jpg
    IMG_1051small.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 567
  • IMG_1053small.jpg
    IMG_1053small.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG_1056small.jpg
    IMG_1056small.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 760
No you are correct in your assessment, my childhood friend and close friend Brad Hadman had this exact issue happen with a top fuel chassis for one of his customers years ago when the investigation showed the frame to have hairline cracks that went undetected and since has gone to no paint what so ever on the chassis he builds for this type of competition. I am not placing judgment on the validity of the decision here either it is one of personal choice and their own dilligence in observation of frame condition. Just sharing a personal experience also as you are!

Funny you bring up Hadman. Brad fixed a bent kart frame for me in the late 80's and still to this day I don't think I have ever had a kart handle so well. Is he still building top fuel chassis? Do you know any of the Hodap Family (I raced against them and I think they are related to Hadman? Cheers, Shad

Update,
Here are some new pictures of the build. Most of the dyno tuning is done for now and we are trying to finish the car to run the NASA event this week end. Cheers, Shad

Attachments

• IMG_1067small.jpg
    IMG_1067small.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 782
  • IMG_1069small.jpg
    IMG_1069small.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 777
  • IMG_1070small.jpg
    IMG_1070small.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 636
  • IMG_1071small.jpg
    IMG_1071small.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 683
  • IMG_1072small.jpg
    IMG_1072small.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_1073small.jpg
    IMG_1073small.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_1074small.jpg
    IMG_1074small.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 680
  • IMG_1075small.jpg
    IMG_1075small.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 600
  • IMG_1076small.jpg
    IMG_1076small.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 666
Funny you bring up Hadman. Brad fixed a bent kart frame for me in the late 80's and still to this day I don't think I have ever had a kart handle so well. Is he still building top fuel chassis? Do you know any of the Hodap Family (I raced against them and I think they are related to Hadman? Cheers, Shad

LOL, racing is a small world for those that have been involved in it for years! You bet, Brad is still building top fuel chassis and funny cars. You bet on the Hodaps' I almost bought my first Formula Ford from Dan but traveled donw to Los Gatos to buy Jon Beekhus's "85 Reynard in "90 after 17years of racing karts myself. I have been one of Brad's aerospace connections for years he is a great friend and confidant. Small world isn't it? Brad has a new shop well 10 years old now across the street from one of our fabrication plants in Fredrickson Washington and he is still going strong. He also was a sponser for me when I ran tube frame cars FF and F2000 cars by fabricating suspension pieces and saving me a ton of money on corners (aerofoil tubing in stock constantly) including allowing me a space and surface to do my yearly frame striaghness and crack checking out of his shop. I'm sure you remember the ill fated Gwynn accident in Brad's chassis that prompted the NHRA rule change. Brad was devestated by that accident mentally but Darryl was the shining light that set him back on track with confidence in Brad's work and purchasing more cars from him. When we are down in the area I will stop by to meet you and say hello. I should be in the area next summer testing and running my atlantic. Keep up the good work and keep the guys safe!

Update,
Here are some pictures of the building progress and hopefully we will be starting the car tomorrow. Cheers, Shad

Tomorrow was 8 days ago. :biggrin: Did it start?

Re: The story of Kip; what went wrong

Overheard in a Sacramento mall
My my my, you'll never guess what I heard about Mrs. Olson's little boy.........what was his name? Kip....... yes, I believe that's it. He was such a nice clean cut polite kid, keeping that cute little NSX so clean and unassuming. All the girls and their moms just loved him. Now I hear he's racing and not just driving a fast car, he's turned into a horsepower injecting junkie who has sold his soul for a fire breathing monster. Oh gosh, why couldn't he have turned to drugs sex and rock and roll like all the other boys? My my my, what is this world coming to?

See you boys at the track. You're not going to scare anyone on Friday at Trackmasters are you? :eek:

Shad,
Very nice work!
Are those off-the-shelf Brembo GT hats for a 328mm disc (i.e., 10 on 206mm bolt pattern) or are they custom made? If they're custom, can you provide info on who made them via PM? I'm planning a custom Brembo setup using some WRC and IRL monobloc calipers I have and will need some hats. Thanks,
David
IMG_1072small.jpg

IMG_1071small.jpg

Last edited:
Re: The story of Kip; what went wrong

Overheard in a Sacramento mall

See you boys at the track. You're not going to scare anyone on Friday at Trackmasters are you? :eek:

Hi Ted, What can I say to you? You said this would eventually happen and laughed when I told you I would never take the car any further you chuckled. Seems you saw this coming all along? No turning back now! While I have your attention, what's next??? How much do I need to save ??? What fate lies ahead for this simple tractor operator??? Let me know. Kip

As far as THill friday goes. It was just a thought. Shad has been putting in SUPER OVERTIME for me on this and if he has it ready, great. If not thats ok to. I have faith it will work out the way it is supposed to. Are you going to be there ted? Kip

Re: Looking forward to the cook's tour

what's next??? How much do I need to save ??? What fate lies ahead for this simple tractor operator??? Let me know. Kip
Dude, you should be talking to people like Peter Cunningham. It's time. Seriously.

Are you going to be there ted? Kip
I'll be puilling in late Friday afternoon. This is the last race weekend of the Formula Mazda Challenge and we have our own sessions with NASA. We're first out each day and race at 1:50 pm. So I should have some time to find you later in the day. Looking forward to seeing this beast up close.

Edit: I just noticed you said THill Friday. Trackmasters is also at Infineon on Friday which doubles as practice for NASA. (well sorta doubles Not much practice for real race cars) You are racing Sat-Sun with NASA?

Last edited:
Back