• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comptech Is Closing. No Joke.

the other day we were standing in front of my car with the engine bay open as Mark was telling me about Boostzilla we looked at my carb legal sticker for my DC headers and got an idea...... I'm going to go ahead and see if he can get me that sticker NOW! :biggrin:
Simo,
I recommend you learn about the difference between Centrifugal SC vs Positive Displacement SC. Completely different characteristic, one have high potential and make power up top, not much on bottom, doesn't drive like NA at all. The other have NA V8 like powerband, lighting fast throttle responds, feels like a NA car with bigger motor.

It is sad that many NSX owners only look at peak # and not the entire powerband, researching is the key, considering without built motor you got to keep it 350~400rwhp anyway. In that case you want to get maximum power under the curve. Compare the hp and torque by RPM. While the Centrifugal type SC might have peak hp in last 1000rpm, for most of the area under the curve the postive displacement sc have 25~50rwhp more. That is useable power.

Now the Gruppe M is no longer available, and if no one take over Comptech. Postive displacemetn blower will no longer be an option for NSX owners. For my S2K, I really want a positive displacement blower, but none available in the US. Might have to source it from Japan.

BoostZilla HP:
dyno2006-10-12--more-HP.gif

Torque
dyno2006-10-12--more-Torque.gif

CTSC:
11309ctscdyno-med.jpg

It doesn't take a bad product or bad market to kill a company. I'd say half of all business failures are unrelated to both, mismanagement or poorly chosen investments are just as likely the culprit. As long as their is demand for superchargers, there will be a supplier. They might not be has reliable as CT or as cheap, but they'll be there.

I wish the owners/employees best of luck and hope the rest of the industry gets an eye opener and learns something.

SSR, BBS, Apexi, now Comptech:frown: Its a tough business. There is many threads on other Honda forums immediately after the news, people have nothing but good to say about Comptech.

Very sad to hear, really. :(

But no wonder to me actually. There have been quite a few problems with the Autorotor unit and maybe they got some with the supplier too.
Sorry for those who invested in the CTSC and don't get any supply from now on. If a new system is on the market it takes some time to say if it's a good and reliable one. And it won't be a cheap one either.

You know what I was thinking? I think American Honda should buy out and take control of Comptech. They have worked closely on a lot of racing programs including IMSA, CART, IRL, etc. If they want, rebadge the parts and label them as Honda Factory Performance parts, or Acura A-SPEC... absorb the knowledge base of Comptech engineering and absorb them into HPD. Just do SOMETHING Honda.

Comptech has helped Honda be successful in American racing, it's time for Honda to step in and help Comptech stay in business.

--Conrad

But none of those companies make a supercharger that is CARB legal and will pass smog in CA.. Damn this sux!!

Wow, this really blows! :mad: I was going to SC the NSX in the very near future, but I guess not anymore. Maybe Oscar Jackson Sr. or Jr. of http://www.jacksonracing.com/home.htm will come up with a SC (carb legal for CA) for the NSX, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Dang... this really sucks! :frown: My main concern at this point is service questions in case anything goes wrong, and replacement parts. I'm hoping others are right in that replacement parts will not be an issue...

From Jackson Racing's website:

Projects Currently Under Construction

Superchargers:

2000-07 Honda S2000, 2.0L/ 2.2L
2006-07 Honda Civic SI, 2.0L
2002-06 Acura RSX Type-S
2002-05 Honda Civic SI
2005 Lotus Elise / Exige, 1.8L
2006-07 Mazda Miata
1988-95 Toyota Trucks, 22R

Maybe if we, as a group, send enough emails expressing interest....

I better go order a lot of extra S.C. belts, a new vaccum bypass valve, and the new s.c. grounding relocation kit right away.:eek: :eek:

You know what I was thinking? I think American Honda should buy out and take control of Comptech. They have worked closely on a lot of racing programs including IMSA, CART, IRL, etc. If they want, rebadge the parts and label them as Honda Factory Performance parts, or Acura A-SPEC... absorb the knowledge base of Comptech engineering and absorb them into HPD. Just do SOMETHING Honda.

Comptech has helped Honda be successful in American racing, it's time for Honda to step in and help Comptech stay in business.

--Conrad

sweet... then'll it can even perhaps maintain factory warranty :biggrin:

I better go order a lot of extra S.C. belts, a new vaccum bypass valve, and the new s.c. grounding relocation kit right away.:eek: :eek:
SC belts are standard (you can buy them at local parts store)...their availability is not at all impacted by Comptech. A search of this forum should produce part numbers for the low and high-boost versions.

What is this new grounding relocation kit?

I know Kenne Bell (Kennebell.net) uses the Autorotor unit for Ford, Chevy, Dodge, even Jeep engines. Maybe (unlikely) they could be convinced to supply for the NSX.

I'm not sure but when i contacted Comptech a few months ago about a bucking S.C.they said that i should get the new bypass valve and also upgrade to the new relocating grounding kit that relocated some kind of electronic module that produced a current/signal. The better grounding helped the unit so that it would not lose voltage. I think it moved something off the S.C./Engine (intake manifold area i think) to the firewall or elsewhere if i'm correct.

SC belts are standard (you can buy them at local parts store)...their availability is not at all impacted by Comptech. A search of this forum should produce part numbers for the low and high-boost versions.

What is this new grounding relocation kit?

I'm not sure but when i contacted Comptech a few months ago about a bucking S.C.they said that i should get the new bypass valve and also upgrade to the new relocating grounding kit that relocated some kind of electronic module that produced a current/signal. The better grounding helped the unit so that it would not lose voltage. I think it moved something off the S.C./Engine (intake manifold area i think) to the firewall or elsewhere if i'm correct.
Why not make your own. See my thread

Back