• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

GTR... Can't do it

I have loved every iteration of the GTR, except the R35. They all look like beasts. They even remind me a lot of american muscle, a japanese translation of american muscle. Not pony cars, but like buick regals, etc... Maybe in time I'll come to appreciate the R35's visual design, but I doubt it. I wish they kept the headlights similar to the R34. That would have gone a long way for me.

To me R34 looks like Gundam and R35 looks like Godzilla!

Looks aside...

lets see, a car that's absolutely fast by all means, that driving daily is a moot point as cops were everywhere. (yeah, I have to watch how fast i was going when I drive my stock -less than 100whp dd around).

Even worse when you took it to the track... if you drive fast enough, everyone knows it's just the car doing its job taking you for a ride. If you were not fast enough... NOOB!!! :biggrin:

Then the required maintenance of that thing... between track days, I bet a GT3 is cheaper.

No, it doesn't have hat stubby froggy like shape. The R8 looks a little squashed in the rear end. The NSX doesn't. Whether it will be a good car or not no one knows.

Talking about froggy like shape the Cayman reminds me of a squatting frog from the rear. I sold the car and got back in the NSX after only a few months of ownership.

the GTR looks like this...

Totoro_by_Z_n_R.png

BD, I owned a 360 for 5 years before the GTR and 2 Gallardo's in between. Apart from jacking up my ego and giving me a few headaches and wallet aches, the Italian "bitches" as I called them always left me wanting more both on the track and in practical everyday use.
Last week, I could not stop marveling at the way the GTR plunged down the corkscrew at Laguna Seca and accelerrated like a bullet going up the hill. Yet the weekend before, I had both my grandchildren in the rear seats and I was cruising along the freeway in comfort mode.

Ultra man, I paid $72k for the GTR in August 2008 (3 and a half years and 24k miles ago). My car is now worth somewhere around $65K. SoCal dealers still want premiums over MSRP but out of state dealers have been known to sell for a couple of grands below list.

Stuntman, Mizuno Justifiably explained that the weight is no handicap for the Attesa system but on the contrary helps it work better as long as there is enough power/traction to complete the equation. With all due respect, NASCAR logic may not apply here.
What does nascar have to do with anything? It's simple physics that more vehicle weight does not improve performance. Loading a tire vertically with weight (which also loads it laterally and it has to overcome and accelerate that weight) is not the same as loading a tire with downforce. The awd system works remarkably well despite the weight not because of it. His explanation was marketing bs to justify why the car weighs so much.

Last edited:
Then the required maintenance of that thing...

That's another thing and I think that's the main thing that drove me away.

@ 18k miles you have to get all fluids changed at $1400+ :eek:

@ 24k miles they say you have to change the brakes at $6k. :eek: Although this depends on how you drive of course, but eventually when you do do a brake job it will be from $3k-$7k. Smh.

Does REQUIRED maintenance mean that you will blow your warranty if you don't follow it exactly. We all know TB/WP need to be done on the NSX 7 years but there are members who own 100k mile cars that have original tb/wp/hoses.

That's another thing and I think that's the main thing that drove me away.

@ 18k miles you have to get all fluids changed at $1400+ :eek:

@ 24k miles they say you have to change the brakes at $6k. :eek: Although this depends on how you drive of course, but eventually when you do do a brake job it will be from $3k-$7k. Smh.

Does REQUIRED maintenance mean that you will blow your warranty if you don't follow it exactly. We all know TB/WP need to be done on the NSX 7 years but there are members who own 100k mile cars that have original tb/wp/hoses.

That's my question too, as well as can "WE" do our own maintenance. Not sure what the difference is or how it's documented or if it voids anything - probably does. Oh, and fluids alone are around $700 if you buy on your own. Point is, they are just so strict and also know what you are doing/did and where.

Also read that NON certified GTR techs (at dealers) aren't even allowed to sit in a customer's GTR in for service.

That's my question too, as well as can "WE" do our own maintenance. Not sure what the difference is or how it's documented or if it voids anything - probably does. Oh, and fluids alone are around $700 if you buy on your own. Point is, they are just so strict and also know what you are doing/did and where.

Have you driven a car with similar performance like an R8, 911 Turbo, or Gallardo?

All the exact same. Yeah a 200 mph car bleeding with technology in every module of its systems is going to require a rigorous maintenance schedule.

Have you driven a car with similar performance like an R8, 911 Turbo, or Gallardo?

All the exact same. Yeah a 200 mph car bleeding with technology in every module of its systems is going to require a rigorous maintenance schedule.

Yea as I was typing I was thinking, Well, it's a "super car" so of course it's gonna have high maintenance costs... Guess it's time for a Z06. Lol.

Ill bump this as someone thats owned >three< NSXs in the past (incl being one of the few lunatics who bought an actual new one in 03), and a 911 and now a GTR.

The GTR *does* look much better in person, IMO, but *is* an odd design.

The idea that "no one looks at it" is preposterous. I'm a straight shooter and have no reason to exaggerate this because I dont really care... but the GTR gets *massive* amounts of attention. Before I bought it, I didnt believe it. Now that I own it I can tell you its true. The attention you get in the GTR is actually almost a downside. It's positive, but it can get wear you down a little when you just want to come and go.

The maintenance exaggeration is total BS. Use an independent period.

Dual clutch tranny fluid change is expensive on *any car*. It was expensive on the EVO X MR I had in between last my NSX and the GTR and it is expensive on GTR. People are talking about things they dont understand in most cases. My EVO X wanted tranny fluid change at 30k mi to the tune of about $1200. The GTR wants it at 30k mi as well (newly updated interval - original was 18k) for about $1600. At an independent it will be cheaper. Dual clutch is simply an expensive part. I totally understand why some would want to stick with 6MT (either for easier/cheaper maintenance or for the fun of it), but the GTR is *not* disproportionately expensive as a DCT.

EVO X MR had Brembos as well (and yeah, these are *real* Brembos on the EVO and GTR) and Brembo rotors are expensive on any car; no getting around that. You can go aftermarket and save a ton.

Nissan wants you to *always* change pads + rotors. So you just dont if you want to save money and dont need rotors. Doing all four rotors and pads was about $2200 on the EVO (at the dealer) and was about $4000 on my 911. The GTR at the absolute high end would be $7000 using the dealer, at top of the line pricing, and all OEM parts. These are also *much* bigger, better, brakes than I had on either the EVO or the 911. Going with aftermarket rotors saves thousands and they are arguably *better* than OEM.

Its kind of ridiculous guys... How many people with the NSX religiously follow exactly what Honda says and bring it to an Acura dealer all of the time? None. Everyone does DIY or uses an independent and most stretch intervals on the big items like TB/WP. On the GTR everyone quotes *religious* maintenance *at the dealer* as what the car costs to run, *and then exaggerates it*. Like with the warranty. Its a CAR. Its a NISSAN. It doesnt have some super special insane policy developed just for the GTR to make it impossible to own. They arent going to void your warranty because you change your own oil. I mean COME ON! LOL Like ANYTHING else if you need to make a warranty claim because something breaks the car will be checked for abuse. 95% of people will be fine. 5% will not, will have a pretty unknown backstory, but will post 24x7 nonstop on the internet insisting that they did nothing wrong but got screwed because they went to Jiffy Lube. It will almost certainly be a lie or exaggeration, but thats just how the web works. Its the same with Porsche, Ferrari, BMW and yeah, Honda too :) And in any event, warranties end. And they end pretty soon. Its very bizarre to hear people who own 20 year old super cars, that are a potential maintenance * catastrophe* waiting to happen, fretting over theoretical "what does the warranty cover?!?!?!" scenarios with a car they probably dont even plan to buy. If you buy *brand new*, then leave the car stock and dont abuse the F out of it. If you do that you will be just fine with pretty much any car 99% of the time. If you buy used, you almost certainly have almost no warranty left anyway. Power train is only 5 years. Comprehensive is 3.

Before I bought I spoke with actual owners at length and found out pretty much everything that floats around on the web with the GTR is completely exaggerated BS.

Glad I did because the car is amazing. I was a skeptic as well and became a believer. Looks are subjective, but there is no arguing that it is a fantastic 4 seat AWD year round driver.

I had almost gone back to the 911 and bought a 997.1T. I may some day go back to Porsche, but for now Im very glad I chose the GTR and am getting to experience another example of a true Japanese supercar.

Last edited:
The GTR was like the Z06's when it came out new...they set the standard, I am glad the standard is Japanese!

But opinions on looks are is like arguing what your favorite colors is...all depends on the person. I had 3 NSX, one supercharged and I had no chance of coming close to competing with a stock gtr any year....but you kno what, the people that came up to me to talk to me were a more mature car enthusiast crowd. I remember when I had my Type-R when that thing came out...every damn kid wanted to see it and every punk wanted to steal it.

Now I drive a 996 TT, it puts down over 550whp and 515 lb tq and rips...but you know what, I probably can't take a chipped 2012 GTR at the strip...but you know what...I know how to drive a 6sp like man. Even Jay Leno states that cars are driving themselves. The NSX is a purist car you will get that in every mature enthusiast that hasever driven many cars, the GTR is just a technological wonder....but I guess you can call me retro for wanting to control my own car instead of downloading the next best computer program to make it drive faster.

And if you don't think weight matters see below, at both cars over 1500whp only physics comes into play with aero and weight. Blah blah blah about yes the lambo cost more to mod, this is the big boy club.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uCqbg8akOmA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
I have always been impressed with the new GTR's performance. I wasn't a fan of the looks, though it is growing on me. The main thing I don't like about the GTR is the same thing that is scaring me away from the new NSX. The car does most of the work. "You want fast lap times get a GTR, want a fun car get something else" Jeremy Clarkson. Now I haven't driven one yet, going to next May at the Vegas Exotic Racing, but I want to do most of the work when driving the car. Not some computer controlled features.

Ill bump this as someone thats owned >three< NSXs in the past (incl being one of the few lunatics who bought an actual new one in 03), and a 911 and now a GTR.

The GTR *does* look much better in person, IMO, but *is* an odd design.

The idea that "no one looks at it" is preposterous. I'm a straight shooter and have no reason to exaggerate this because I dont really care... but the GTR gets *massive* amounts of attention. Before I bought it, I didnt believe it. Now that I own it I can tell you its true. The attention you get in the GTR is actually almost a downside. It's positive, but it can get wear you down a little when you just want to come and go.

The maintenance exaggeration is total BS. Use an independent period.

Dual clutch tranny fluid change is expensive on *any car*. It was expensive on the EVO X MR I had in between last my NSX and the GTR and it is expensive on GTR. People are talking about things they dont understand in most cases. My EVO X wanted tranny fluid change at 30k mi to the tune of about $1200. The GTR wants it at 30k mi as well (newly updated interval - original was 18k) for about $1600. At an independent it will be cheaper. Dual clutch is simply an expensive part. I totally understand why some would want to stick with 6MT (either for easier/cheaper maintenance or for the fun of it), but the GTR is *not* disproportionately expensive as a DCT.

EVO X MR had Brembos as well (and yeah, these are *real* Brembos on the EVO and GTR) and Brembo rotors are expensive on any car; no getting around that. You can go aftermarket and save a ton.

Nissan wants you to *always* change pads + rotors. So you just dont if you want to save money and dont need rotors. Doing all four rotors and pads was about $2200 on the EVO (at the dealer) and was about $4000 on my 911. The GTR at the absolute high end would be $7000 using the dealer, at top of the line pricing, and all OEM parts. These are also *much* bigger, better, brakes than I had on either the EVO or the 911. Going with aftermarket rotors saves thousands and they are arguably *better* than OEM.

Its kind of ridiculous guys... How many people with the NSX religiously follow exactly what Honda says and bring it to an Acura dealer all of the time? None. Everyone does DIY or uses an independent and most stretch intervals on the big items like TB/WP. On the GTR everyone quotes *religious* maintenance *at the dealer* as what the car costs to run, *and then exaggerates it*. Like with the warranty. Its a CAR. Its a NISSAN. It doesnt have some super special insane policy developed just for the GTR to make it impossible to own. They arent going to void your warranty because you change your own oil. I mean COME ON! LOL Like ANYTHING else if you need to make a warranty claim because something breaks the car will be checked for abuse. 95% of people will be fine. 5% will not, will have a pretty unknown backstory, but will post 24x7 nonstop on the internet insisting that they did nothing wrong but got screwed because they went to Jiffy Lube. It will almost certainly be a lie or exaggeration, but thats just how the web works. Its the same with Porsche, Ferrari, BMW and yeah, Honda too :) And in any event, warranties end. And they end pretty soon. Its very bizarre to hear people who own 20 year old super cars, that are a potential maintenance * catastrophe* waiting to happen, fretting over theoretical "what does the warranty cover?!?!?!" scenarios with a car they probably dont even plan to buy. If you buy *brand new*, then leave the car stock and dont abuse the F out of it. If you do that you will be just fine with pretty much any car 99% of the time. If you buy used, you almost certainly have almost no warranty left anyway. Power train is only 5 years. Comprehensive is 3.

Before I bought I spoke with actual owners at length and found out pretty much everything that floats around on the web with the GTR is completely exaggerated BS.

Glad I did because the car is amazing. I was a skeptic as well and became a believer. Looks are subjective, but there is no arguing that it is a fantastic 4 seat AWD year round driver.

I had almost gone back to the 911 and bought a 997.1T. I may some day go back to Porsche, but for now Im very glad I chose the GTR and am getting to experience another example of a true Japanese supercar.

Thanks for the long post, very informative. :smile:

For some reason they DO look better in person. :confused:

oh my god :eek: she could cut you in half with a simple flex of her..........
muscles isnt it called Kegel exercises or something

holy god, what if she was the last chick on earth could you????

If the GTR was a woman:

ugly-woman.jpg

Just to reiterate to any GTR owners: I actually do love and very much admire the car. I was just saying it's not very sexy. I never said it was a bad car. The thing is mind blowingly fast, you have to respect that.

Driven a buddies 09, recently tracked a 2013 and they are amazing machines!

As a dad with one baby and one more on the way,you start to appreciate having two extra back seats, even tiny ones is better than none. My NSX rarely gets driven (1000 miles per ear) and this might be my last year as I am looking for a replacement. The gtr is high on my list. I wanted a R8 v10 spider but same problem as NSX, only 2 sats :(

So far only the GTR and Porsche turbo fit the bill. Who knows, I may stick to the NSX since I plan to pick up an X5m or X6m later this year to replace my ISF and be content :wink:

Back