• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HRE delivering 30 sets of wheels to Honda for "NSX Testing"

Per the president to HRE on last week's The Smoking Tire podcast, towards the end.

30 sets! Does that mean 30 functional test cars?

Hopefully this means the OEM wheels will be very similar to HRE's in strength and weight (and maybe visual design as well, pretty pretty please?) so they can test with HRE's while they develop the final wheel.

Hopefully this means the OEM wheels will be very similar to HRE's in strength and weight (and maybe visual design as well, pretty pretty please?) so they can test with HRE's while they develop the final wheel.
FWIW, I hear/see a lot more "issues" w/ HRE (and iForged, etc) wheels in terms of QA/QC along w/ durability/longevity than I do w/ Enkei, Rays, Advan, etc (Fuji/Mackin Heavy Industry). BBS and ProDrive also have a solid rep in terms of quality.

Worth noting that the latter wheels (aftermarket and as OEM offering) also outnumber the former wheels (HRE, iForged, etc) in the wild, yet w/ less reported issues. Also, I don't believe HRE are particularly light despite being forged. Multi-piece wheels usually have issues over time as it is, generally speaking.

With that said, HRE offers some very good looking modern design/style of wheels.

Last edited:
Yes, I wish they made their P43S in 17/18 (18/19 is a bit too big for me)

Anyway, I thought the most interesting piece of information was the number 30. Is that the size of Honda's current (or near-future) test mule fleet?

FWIW, I hear/see a lot more "issues" w/ HRE (and iForged, etc) wheels in terms of QA/QC along w/ durability/longevity than I do w/ Enkei, Rays, Advan, etc (Fuji/Mackin Heavy Industry). BBS and ProDrive also have a solid rep in terms of quality.

I would not put HRE and iforged in the same category. What issues do you see with HRE? Links?

My guess is they have 2-4 functional test cars, no way they have 30. They just want the ability to switch wheels/tires quickly (as we all dream of).

My wild guess is hre gave Honda a very good deal that they cannot refuse . Good way for hre to get their name associated with the new nsx too.

My wild guess is hre gave Honda a very good deal that they cannot refuse . Good way for hre to get their name associated with the new nsx too.

Supposedly Honda called them and not the other way around. Supposedly.

LOL it was probably because everyone kept b*tching about the wheels on the concept cats

Yea, I'd much prefer a JDM wheel manufacturer to supply wheels for the new NSX than HRE. I've never been a huge fan of most of their wheel lineup.

I'm not surprised considering the blue NSX at Ohio was sporting black HREs.

http://nsx.honda.com.au

This is cool, you can totally see the nose and the tail section to be shorter, also the wheel base.

The height is similar.

Yea, I'd much prefer a JDM wheel manufacturer to supply wheels for the new NSX than HRE. I've never been a huge fan of most of their wheel lineup.

LOL more made in America parts. Again Honda is doing this because of the strong yen more than anything else. It is much cheaper for THEM to make and get parts for the car here than in Japan (volk/rays) or Germany (bbs). Plus since the car is built here no overseas shipping.

LOL more made in America parts. Again Honda is doing this because of the strong yen more than anything else. It is much cheaper for THEM to make and get parts for the car here than in Japan (volk/rays) or Germany (bbs). Plus since the car is built here no overseas shipping.

Well I hope they design an elegant concave wheel for the NSX instead of an overly complicated design. They could have chose a worser company in America, that's for sure.

Honda has never been known to put flyweight wheels on the USDM vehicles. The warranty claims from potholes and curb rash would be astronomical; better to leave that decision to the end user

Well I hope they design an elegant concave wheel for the NSX instead of an overly complicated design. They could have chose a worser company in America, that's for sure.

Agreed they could have but I'm sure a little research shows people who buy more expensive vehicles use HRE after market wheels. I'm sure whatever they chose it will have to go through rigorous testing. I'm sure they don't want something that will cost them in repairs and reputation.

I know the guys at HRE, and spoke to the president about them supplying wheels for the new NSX. From what I understand, they will not be manufacturing wheels for the production car. Honda simply asked them during development stages, if they would supply some wheels for their development cars.

B@t™

Back