• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX owners, what are you views on the Audi v10 R8?

I love the V10 R8, even more so than my favorite JDM the almighty GT-R, that is about as high of praise I could possibly give to R8 V10 and it is available with a stick, this might be the last breed of of Supercars available with traditional manual. I love the F1/SMG/M-DCT type of transmissions, but having driven some of finger shifting cars recently (GT-R, M3, Camaro SS, 360 F1, etc). There is just something magical about having the ability to roll through the gears and rev match on our own.

Prior of seeing R8 in person, I seriously disliked the look, once I saw it at the Audi display in Tokyo two years ago I was quite impressed. Even more so when I saw one rolling on the road. V10 R8 is definitely a super beast. The V8 R8's power to weight ratio is not too shabby either at 420hp with curb weight of 3434lbs. BMW should make a car that gives R8 some competition. Audi topped BMW on this one.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mqT4UqpMTC4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mqT4UqpMTC4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Blue please
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UtcGOikSv-M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UtcGOikSv-M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Exactly :cool:

That is why I said in my original post not to compare price or horsepower since those are obvious. Price is strictly relative to each person. What's expensive to you may not be the same as me or anyone else....

But assuming you would write the check, which car would you buy? I'm really in love with the v10 R8 but certainly not in a position to buy it right now. Just debating what to do down the road as I see that as the logical stepping stone for me or otherwise it will be a 360 Stradale.
Rick,
You know how much I love your NSX and we had a discussion about R8 before, and I said I prefer your exceptionally beautiful NSX over "V8" R8. Economy sucks for the sellers, but rocks for the buyers. There are a lot of cars available at V10 R8's price range. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices.

You mentioned the 360 Stradale. My pick would definitely be a 360 Stradale, a lighter car is still a lighter car. It is probably as much fun you could possibly get with your cloth on, if you don't mind not having clutch pedal.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_lbFQ0pSaQo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_lbFQ0pSaQo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Since Audi is phasing out the V-10, ill keep the one I currently own....the future will more likely be the TT V8

Last edited:
Rick,
You know how much I love your NSX and we had a discussion about R8 before, and I said I prefer your exceptionally beautiful NSX over "V8" R8. Economy sucks for the sellers, but rocks for the buyers. There are a lot of cars available at V10 R8's price range. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices.

You mentioned the 360 Stradale. My pick would definitely be a 360 Stradale, a lighter car is still a lighter car. It is probably as much fun you could possibly get with your cloth on, if you don't mind not having clutch pedal.

I was out with my friend last night who brought out his mighty V10 R8 since we finally had some sunshine. He let me drive to Pasta Pomodora and I really had some fun with the car - just can't get over the v10's growl! The interior feels very driver friendly and the audio is amazing but frankly I had my windows down to enjoy the engine for the 10 mile trip.

It's really everything the NSX is + more of it! I'm in love but unfortunately timing is not right for me to buy any cars for now. We are planning to move soon so for now the NSX will suffice. At least I know the V10 R8's should be dropping in price in the meantime. I still love the 360 Stradale but the R8 just feels more fun as it's got the manual tranny.

It's got that FROG look that I can't get over :frown:

CARPhotoShootNovember012.jpg

CARPhotoShootNovember013.jpg

CARPhotoShootNovember020.jpg

As many have said, the Audi R8 is a worthy successor to the NSX.
Aluminum, mid engine, 4 wheel drive. Audi made the next generation NSX.
The R8 does look great, much better in the flesh than the pictures would suggest.
I would be happy to own one once the prices of used ones come down.
But look at the R8 compared to the NSX in the picture.
The NSX still looks fabulous, way better than the R8 even after all these years.
God damn you Honda! You had it, and you threw it all away.

I would much rather have a Gallardo. Why pay more money for the "baby" version of the real car? I'm convinced that once the hype of the r8 wears off the price is gonna drop like a rock. I wouldn't really want to own one during that time. The Gallardo has already had time to depreciate.

I admit I never really liked the style of the R8 either.

That is why I bought a Gallardo, also the V-10 will be phased out in the R-8, so if you really want an R-8 get the V-8 as they have dropped in price quite a bit and tt it....

I can't explain it, but these cars simply don't photograph well...When I see one on the road they are absolutely stunning.

in all reality, at least it is still offered with a manual tranny. i am getting sick of all the top brands switching to 'paddles' / Dsg in pursuit of 'bragging rights' for fastest 0-60 times etc. to me anything but a stick totally kills the interaction with the car. if i miss a gear or screw up a rev-match thats just the part of it, i don't want 'perfection', just reality.

I must admit the biggest allure of the Audi R8 v10 is the 500+ hp and the crackle sound of the v10 motor as it takes off.....

Granted the NSX will never have a V10 motor sound, after reading about the SOS supercharger kits that can give us 400+ rwhp pretty easily this is beginning to sound more and more tempting...hehe :wink: For the entry price of a crotch rocket you can really turn your NSX into a high hp contender that will give even a Z06 a decent run for the money.

how many of you are running some sort of forced induction and pushing over 400 rwhp? Do you think that's enough power?

rick

Back