• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSXPO 2013 - Raleigh, NC - October 11 -16

I wasn't fishing for any longest driven award. I think I am going to go for the dirtiest NSX award. I won't wash the car after the trip down.
If Warren makes his way down from Edmonton, he has me beat anyway. I am just thinking about whether to bring my road or mountain bike down. In the other thread they spoke of great bike riding in the area. I could be persuaded into that. If I don't bring any cleaning supplies that leaves more room for bike gear.
But, as it stands, VIR is the carrot for me. I have already been shopping for a helmet.

I have ridden Western North Carolina, and I must say, the trails down there are spectacular! You'll be into real mountain bike riding. I would almost think you might want to get a rental bike when you're down there rather than lugging yours.

Okay you guys
My room is booked and Qualicum Beach to Raleigh is 3080 miles so I expect to be collecting many prizes :)
How many from Western Canada are planning to drive?
Convoy?
Jim

Last edited:
Anyone know the name of the Acura dealership that is going to be the host for this?
I am looking to make arrangements with them for brake pad installation and tire installation after the track event so I can make it home safely.
Thanks.

Leith Acura, Cary NC ask for Justin in service - mention my name and that you are attending NSXPO

John Komar

Last edited:
I am looking forward to seeing everyone at NSXPO.
I'm even thinking about driving my car to NSXPO... again. It will be a 10,000 mile round trip!

Aloha,
Steve

I am looking forward to seeing everyone at NSXPO.
I'm even thinking about driving my car to NSXPO... again. It will be a 10,000 mile round trip!

Aloha,
Steve

Curses!
There goes my long distance award:)
Steven, haven't seen you and your wife since lunch at Las Vegas NSXPO.
Where will you start your drive on the mainland?
Jim

I might have to miss this one. I don't think it "will fit".................

i-8KwHXMs-X3.jpg

How 'bout the rear view mirror, you don't need that anymore .........

I just spent 3 days at VIR this past Friday-Sunday with the Zone2 PCA club. VIR, which is my favorite track is a blast, the setting is beautiful, the food at the track is really good, there are plenty of things for spouses to do nearby and did I say, "the track is a blast!"

For anyone who might be on the fence about attending the track part of NSXPO2013 at VIR, let me just say, "How can you not attend?"

I know that many people worry about taking their NSX's on the track as they don't want to have anything happen to them. I have to tell you, I worried a heck of a lot more driving home on Route 95 then on the track. Track driving can be as 'careful' as driving slow on a country road if you want it to and it teaches you techniques to make you a safer driver.

One of those techniques is to look ahead while driving. Not just a little, but really look ahead. Like as far as possible down the road. I can always tell when I'm doing that on the highway as I'll see a reason to brake up ahead before those around me do. This allows me to have more time to react to what is going on including checking the rear view mirror before braking if that is necessary.

Lockton Affinity, a track insurance provider, is available to those who are interested in purchasing a policy to cover their vehicle on the track.

NSXPO track days usually have a lot of novice or new track drivers so it is really a great place to learn with a lot of other folks who not only drive the same car as you do, but haven't done it before either. It is also one of the few times that there are a lot of instructors who also drive NSX's. That doesn't happen at many track events. So you'll have a lot of other drivers who are also concerned about their car. All that adds up to the perfect time to try driving on the track.

^^^Exactly my experience last year^^^
Really, last year was only the second time that myself and my car was ever on a track. It was a basically new experience to me.
Yes I was nervous about my garage queen being on the track. I was nervous about the car breaking down due to the stress of driving it hard. I was nervous about my driving skills.
It turns out the car is a rock for durability and and very capable for track use. ( I get the idea, this is what this car is designed and built for.) I had an instructor in the right seat helping me along the way teaching skills and providing encouragement. There is less traffic on the track than on the freeway. Safety is always the highest priority at these events. Your new found NSX friends help you with being nervous. No one pushes you beyond your ability.
At the end of two days, I was doing very well on the entire track, I was pushing to get better on every corner and loved it. The car was just fine. I drove 2500 miles home starting the next day.

I would encourage anyone that has their car at NSXPO to give it a go. It is the least expensive and best track lesson you will ever get. Professionally run, and a lot of fun.

Oh, and I met some really great people!

To piggyback off what Carla said, I'll just leave this here :)

vir_aerial.jpg

One of the safety factors is within your control, and that's how close you drive to the limits of your abilities (which, for novice drivers, are nowhere near the limits of your car). Your first time on the track, if you go out there thinking, "I already know how to do this, I've driven 100 mph on the highway! I'm going to be faster than everyone else out here.", you'll quickly find that you're kidding yourself. But if you're open to learning, and you concentrate on learning the track and "the line" first while going only moderately fast, and only then start going faster in small increments, working your way up gradually, you'll be safe and you'll learn faster, too!

One of the safety factors is within your control, and that's how close you drive to the limits of your abilities (which, for novice drivers, are nowhere near the limits of your car). Your first time on the track, if you go out there thinking, "I already know how to do this, I've driven 100 mph on the highway! I'm going to be faster than everyone else out here.", you'll quickly find that you're kidding yourself. But if you're open to learning, and you concentrate on learning the track and "the line" first while going only moderately fast, and only then start going faster in small increments, working your way up gradually, you'll be safe and you'll learn faster, too!

Thanks Ken - that really explains it better. :)

Warren - I was hoping you'd write in about your experience last year.

Steve - love the pic!! I've never seen that view. Man, I want to be there now!

This will my first NSXPO and I am looking forward to meeting everyone! Hotel booked and all set. Now it just needs to hurry up and get here.

Alex, I'm going...with or without you sir.

Last edited:
I'm stationed at Naval Station Norfolk, VA which is a little over 3 hours away. Unfortunately my nsx is back home in Texas but i will defiantly attend this event! Never been to a NSXPO :/ lol

I'm stationed at Naval Station Norfolk, VA which is a little over 3 hours away. Unfortunately my nsx is back home in Texas but i will defiantly attend this event! Never been to a NSXPO :/ lol

There will be plenty of others that flown in who will not have theirs either so don't feel you need the car!

For the Hosting region:
What about a list of spare parts that people would have for others' if they need - for example, I plan on bringing
A used clutch master and a rebuilt slave -

There will be plenty of others that flown in who will not have theirs either so don't feel you need the car!

Hi

My NSX substitute this year will be a Ford Mustang GT Premium from Hertz Orlando MCO. My NSX will be somewhere where I can log in to my Dlink webcam thing so I can check that she is doing alright at all times.

Best regards

Last edited:
Back