• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil leak in the gulf

just to change the subject a bit-
did you catch BP's press release how this operation is hurting their profits and they may have to raise gas prices?

If BP could raise gas prices, they would have done it a long time ago. They've paid out about 350m in claims and costs associated with the clean up so far.

If BP could raise gas prices, they would have done it a long time ago. They've paid out about 350m in claims and costs associated with the clean up so far.

i see it as a pre-emptive 'notice'. big business does nothing 'by chance' (except for f-ups of course).

just to change the subject a bit-
did you catch BP's press release how this operation is hurting their profits and they may have to raise gas prices?

LOL... yeah heaven forbid a big corporation lose any profit. Screw the ocean water.

We talked about the news and all the articles today in a meeting. Its crazy how all this stuff coming out is so different than what we are hearing. But everybody seems to have proof to point the finger:biggrin: Im ready to go home!!!! Minus the smell, the sunrises are absolutely beautiful out here.

We talked about the news and all the articles today in a meeting. Its crazy how all this stuff coming out is so different than what we are hearing. But everybody seems to have proof to point the finger:biggrin: Im ready to go home!!!! Minus the smell, the sunrises are absolutely beautiful out here.

And I hope you get to go home soon (your fatigue is understandable) where you can take a fresh deep breath again.

Jack

Kelley,
Are you beginning to miss Littlefield about now?
Admiral Rickover, the father of the nuclear navy used to tell Congress they wanted simple answers to complex questions. That was 40+ years ago, yet it still applies.
Miner

You know, not to start any conspiracy thoughts, but has anyone noticed that other than a few random news sites and publications, images of the spill has been sparse in the main stream media? yes there are articles, but like you mentioned pictures are worth a thousand words and I have seen only a few images here and there. Possible white washing of how bad it really is by the government and media who have buddies with big oil? Just wondering...:confused:

200,000 thousand, that's a number we keep hearing. But I was wondering, just what does 200,000 gals. by volume look like? How can I comprehend it?

How about an olympic swimming pool? 648,000 gallons (which surprised me), but that's still to hard to visualize. It would take about 3-days to fill it at that rate.

The average gasoline tanker truck, now that's something I can relate too. It's something I see a lot of, that holds 9,000 gals.

But maybe the best visual would be a simple square cube, or a big box.

So here it goes and please correct me if I'm wrong with these numbers.

Based on 7.5 gallons per cubic foot it would take a box that's 30'x30'x30' to hold 200,000 gals. or 27,000 cubic feet. That's a pretty big box, or about the same volume as two 1,500 sq. ft. houses.

It would take 22 tanker trucks to fill that box.

That's what is leaking into the gulf in one day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now if we extend that out to 30-days the box would grow in size to over 93'x93'x93'. Almost a nine story building.
It would take 675 tanker trucks to hold the 6,075,000 gals.

How about 3-months which they say could be entirely possible.
The box would now swell to 135'x135'x135' and hold 18,225,000 gals. and would now need 2025 tanker trucks.

Now let's take it to the unthinkable, 6-months.

At 6-months, 36,ooo,ooo (that's million) gals. of lethal liquid in the water.

The box now would be 170'x170'x170', or 17-stories. 4,913,000 cu. ft.

Then if you were to line up the now 4050 tanker trucks, it would stretch out 50-miles long.

What really blows me away is if you took the 30 foot daily boxes and stacked them on top of each other, you would have 180 total.
Even at a depth of 5,000', the boxes would still rise above the oceans surface, 400 ft.

Whatever the actual figures, it's going to be a mother of a mess.

Jack

Last edited:
200,000 thousand, that's a number we keep hearing. But I was wondering, just what does 200,000 gals. by volume look like? How can I comprehend it?

How about an olympic swimming pool? 648,000 gallons (which surprised me), but that's still to hard to visualize. It would take about 3-days to fill it at that rate.

The average gasoline tanker truck, now that's something I can relate too. It's something I see a lot of, that holds 9,000 gals.

Based on 7.5 gallons per cubic foot it would take a box that's 30'x30'x30' to hold 200,000 gals. or 27,000 cubic feet. That's a pretty big box, or about the same volume as two 1,500 sq. ft. houses.

Now if we extend that out to 30-days the box would grow in size to over 93'x93'x93'. Almost a nine story building.

The box would now swell to 135'x135'x135' and hold 18,225,000 gals. and would now need 2025 tanker trucks.

Then if you were to line up the now 4050 tanker trucks, it would stretch out 50-miles long.

What really blows me away is if you took the 30 foot daily boxes and stacked them on top of each other, you would have 180 total.
Even at a depth of 5,000', the boxes would still rise above the oceans surface, 400 ft.

Jack

Sort of. "Oil" is made up of many compounds. Some are harmful, some are not. Many of the harmful elements evaporate or dissipate over relatively short periods of time (like Benzene) when exposed to warm temperatures, ocean water, etc. Supposedly some of the oil will reach a density that will cause it to sink to the ocean floor. So far we've actually been pretty fortunate, no one else has been injured/killed in the vast clean up efforts and very little oil in a consistency we'd recognize has reached shores.

There is some studying being done by various independent scientists now that say BP is Waaaaaay underestimating the actual amount of oil flowing out, and that the more accurate figure looks to be at lease TEN TIMES bigger than their estimate.

It just gets better and better.

Those pictures are very sad.

Sort of. "Oil" is made up of many compounds. Some are harmful, some are not. Many of the harmful elements evaporate or dissipate over relatively short periods of time (like Benzene) when exposed to warm temperatures, ocean water, etc. Supposedly some of the oil will reach a density that will cause it to sink to the ocean floor. So far we've actually been pretty fortunate, no one else has been injured/killed in the vast clean up efforts and very little oil in a consistency we'd recognize has reached shores.

Just talking volume that we can visualize. What percentage is harmful and what isn't is anther story that I'm sure is highly debatable. That no other human has died does not take into account the (uncountable) death of wildlife, or the effect on humans in the years to come not only physically, but their mental and economical well being. Contamination can kill years down the road. Nobody can really say for sure. Only time will tell on this story!

I still think more resources from more oil companies (for expertise) and the government need to get involved, working together to take care of every aspect of this disaster and soon.
Everyday lets loose one more 30'x 30'x 30' bucket of goop (if not more). Nice talkin' to you again.:smile:

Jack

There is some studying being done by various independent scientists now that say BP is Waaaaaay underestimating the actual amount of oil flowing out, and that the more accurate figure looks to be at lease TEN TIMES bigger than their estimate.

It just gets better and better.

Those pictures are very sad.

If that's the case it's a lot of bigger boxes and a whole lot more tanker trucks!:eek:

Jack

Just talking volume that we can visualize. What percentage is harmful and what isn't is anther story that I'm sure is highly debatable. That no other human has died does not take into account the (uncountable) death of wildlife, or the effect on humans in the years to come not only physically, but their mental and economical well being. Contamination can kill years down the road. Nobody can really say for sure. Only time will tell on this story!

I still think more resources from more oil companies (for expertise) and the government need to get involved, working together to take care of every aspect of this disaster and soon.
Everyday lets loose one more 30'x 30'x 30' bucket of goop (if not more). Nice talkin' to you again.:smile:

Jack

Likewise Jack and I like your approach. These days with trillion dollar bail outs and such it gets increasingly difficult to know what the hell people are really*** talking about when they speak. When they first mentioned the dimensions of the large tank they were dropping down I did the math myself and I think it was only a day and a half before it would have to have a hose attached before it reached capacity-and that was the large unit that didn't work.

I'm taking the X to Death Valley for the weekend, so I'll talk to you guys later!

The NSX that is.:smile:

Jack

BP is Waaaaaay underestimating the actual amount of oil flowing out.
seems to me there is little upside for them to be candid.

@ some point there will be the standard set of mea culpa's, we could have done a better job but it's the first time we'd seen anything of this type, etc.

s.o.p. for many organizations and people.

Jack

I get back from a weekend in Death Valley and I hear WTF, possible 70,000 barrels a day.

Update those figures and you get a box 75'x75'x75', 3,164,000 gals. per day and 351 tanker trucks.

I don't know how they come up with those kinds of numbers because that seems rather high. There's a big difference between 5,000 and 70,000. With the diameter of that pipe it would have to be exiting like jet exhaust don't you think. How are they getting these estimates anyway? Does anyone know what the rig was producing a day?

Now they're saying this new device should round -up 80% percent which still leaves a whopping 20% of between 5 and 70,000 barrels per day. Maybe BP was hoping that no one would notice those underwater pools that are apparently quite large and moving.

It's hard knowing what to believe!

Jack

Looks like the pool is now going right into the gulfstream and coming up the east coast.

This is like a bad movie.

Hi guys. Definitely not 70,000 barrels. I've been seeing lots of gas. We are taking on some crude and processing it. There are about 30 vessels just on the stbd side of the ship alone.:eek: I forgot how much the riser is diameter wise but you can crawl inside. They are preparing another tool with a bigger end on it to catch more of the gas and oil. I beleive the helix vessel will be along side us in the morning( like 100 feet away!) to prep for the big mud and plug. Im waiting on you guys to start chatting about the 60 min interview yesterday. We all watched it out here, well most of us.

Last edited:
seems to me there is little upside for them to be candid.

@ some point there will be the standard set of mea culpa's, we could have done a better job but it's the first time we'd seen anything of this type, etc.

s.o.p. for many organizations and people.

BP is treating this more like a public relations disaster than an environmental one.

BP is treating this more like a public relations disaster than an environmental one.
yep.

newsflash: apparently the guy who headed the offshore drilling agency is stepping down:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/05/17/oil.spill.resignation/index.html?hpt=T1

no doubt some other heads will roll, though no one of great importance. the families of those lost & injured in the "accident" will be compensated, though nothing can replace or repair their suffering. environmental cleanup, finger pointing and litigation will continue for decades.

and it'll happen again, in this and other industries.

it's the way things work.

Back