• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2021 F1 thread....

We've quite a lot of TV stations this year NOT broadcasting the races this year (or only a few of them). Even though two Germans are drivers a German TV channel ended the contract after more than 30 years. Same for the Austrian TV channel after 40-50 years. Only the Swiss channel is stayed tuned for every quali and race.
I do understand that the Covid uncertainty and boring races couldn't justify the (higher?) costs but this year seems to be very promissing, even if we see a MadMax show. :)

A little bit surprised to see PER so far behind.

Last edited:
Yeah, it looks like the RB and Honda did their homework on the engine front.
Don't discount the Merc team yet, they will claw back that differences if not during the race today, but by the next race for sure.

Bram

With a little bit of irony: MERC was using turn 4 during most of the race (tp save tires?) but VST was not allowed to pass HAM in that turn.

Yes, to your comments are on the money.... glad to see the field all bunched together and the racing was really good.

Lewis showed Mad Max, what experience and mature racing is all about. The RB was the faster package, but you have to use what you have effectively, Lewis showed that with his package.

Three weeks break before Italy, this give the teams some time to fine tune there packages.

Bram

Norris continues to be really promising and impressive.
Excited to see how Tsunoda progresses. He seems to have tons of fire.

You must have seen a different race!

They all were going wide in Turn 4

Bram

goldNSX was right ,during the race Lewis was multiple time warned by judges ,Max didnt want to do same.

Very interesting race hope this year we watch unpredictable season to the end.
Go Red Bull Honda.

PER really showed his class.
Sorry for GAS, pretty ruined weekend.
Tsunoda very impressive with 2 points in his first race.

3 weeks til Imola...

Just watching the replay of Verstappen, I am not sure he should have given back the lead, and ultimately the win to Hamilton.
He was ahead of Hamilton going into the turn, and he did run a bit wide, he was close to staying in the “baseline” so to speak. Did the stewards that quickly tell him to give it back or did RB choose to be overly prudent?

It sounds as if there was sufficient going wide throughout the race by plenty of drivers and while most, if not all, didn’t involve a pass, there were no penalties.

Track limits are always a touchy, vague subject. It might be my Indy car roots but a large concrete wall defines the track, not some white paint.

What say others?

My take was that it could have gone either way (and could have been heavily contested)... I did think that Max was the faster of the two especially in the last 2 laps..., but I believe Max took the long-term approach and followed a sportsmanship principle. I respect that.

Just watching the replay of Verstappen, I am not sure he should have given back the lead, and ultimately the win to Hamilton.
He was ahead of Hamilton going into the turn, and he did run a bit wide, he was close to staying in the “baseline” so to speak. Did the stewards that quickly tell him to give it back or did RB choose to be overly prudent?

It sounds as if there was sufficient going wide throughout the race by plenty of drivers and while most, if not all, didn’t involve a pass, there were no penalties.
Yes, I fully agree. VER passed HAM with the full length of his car while he was still on the track with all 4 wheels. VER then choose to run wide, I think he wanted to let HAM more space and knowing that MERC went wide there most of the time, so VER wanted to prevent being touched in the rear by HAM. Because HAM has a history of turning an adversary into the gravel bed, just ask Vettel. :) Well, the young VER wasn't better. Also ask Vettel. :)

The stewards told the team, the team informed Verstappen who wanted to drive 5 seconds faster but finally gave in.

It would have be less contraversial if Verstappen went away with it.

The stewards were vague ( just going to watch) and issued a supplement that no track position should be gained at 4...that is why they let it slide during race as the guys circulated with gaps.But when RB complained that hamo was consistently 4 off in 4 the stewards then warned the MB team. So RB fell on the sword when Max did actually gain position off track in 4...However he did not have to yield so quickly. He could have let hamo pass in a place where he could attack with wing open..still fun race with good midfield battles.

Most others except RB were doing the same through the first part of the race as well. RB brought it to the stewards attention, then all were told not to exceed the limits... Unfortunate for Mad Max but he also passed Hamilton while exceeding track limits, so double trouble.
Hoping for a good season.

Based on the Michael Massie comments, Mad Max/RB gain an advantage by passing off track, and Race Control requested that the position be given back to Lewis which they did. At point Max had used his tires up and was not able to mount another attack.

BTW everyone was running wide on turn 4....even Mad Max. Merc was warned and Lewis stopped running wide at turn 4 afterwards.

Bram

Based on the Michael Massie comments, Mad Max/RB gain an advantage by passing off track, and Race Control requested that the position be given back to Lewis which they did. At point Max had used his tires up and was not able to mount another attack.

BTW everyone was running wide on turn 4....even Mad Max. Merc was warned and Lewis stopped running wide at turn 4 afterwards.

Bram

A mess.

I would like f1 to settle battles on the track (pun intended).

I hope we can agree on the fact that Max went wide in turn 4 AFTER he overtook Hamilton. He was a car length ahead after the APEX.

I hope we can agree on the fact that Max went wide in turn 4 AFTER he overtook Hamilton. He was a car length ahead after the APEX.

Just looked at the footage again, and yes I agree with you that Mad Max was ahead just before taking turn 4, but he was not able to keep the car on the track afterwards...hence the call for race control.

Bram

I may be missing something from the broadcast, but I didn’t see replays on the ESPN show, at least not any overhead shots. Seems to me as big a deal as it was, they didn’t have much camera coverage.
I will admit that unless it is Ferrari at the front, I am not as committed to watching every moment of the race, though.

The newest news is a statement of Emanuele Pirro, one of the three race directors. One of them contacted RB as an order to let him pass. But the fact is one single race director can not order anything, just give recommendations. But RB saw it as an order. But for Emanuele Pirro it wasn't and there was no need to let him pass. To be fair: when Verstappen let Hamilton pass there was no case opened.

Anyway, too much confusion, looking forward to the next race...:)

The newest news is a statement of Emanuele Pirro, one of the three race directors. One of them contacted RB as an order to let him pass. But the fact is one single race director can not order anything, just give recommendations. But RB saw it as an order. But for Emanuele Pirro it wasn't and there was no need to let him pass. To be fair: when Verstappen let Hamilton pass there was no case opened.

Anyway, too much confusion, looking forward to the next race...:)

It is beginning to remind me of the incompetence of NASCAR / CART back in the day!

Italian GP this weekend, let have some predictions/speculations?

1) I believe that Merc have found their MoJo over the passed 3 weeks....we'll see
2) I hope AT will be in the hunt this weekend.

Bram

Back