• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Transplant: RDX DVD-NAV-Audio-Camera

Beautiful work! I love factory looking modifications...

Tremendous ingenuity!

Kudos...Keep us posted please:wink:. Cant wait to see it in the car working.

I'm going against the crowd here. I think that the "carbon fiber" really cheapens the effort of your project. And yes, the red H symbol also is out of place. This is such a massive undertaking that I hate to see it down classed with a fake overlay product.

Otherwise, it looks brilliant. Amazing execution.

Whats the difference between what he has done with the overlay to what KANE products and how the door handles and all the other things that are Carbon Fiber? Aren't those also overlays??? I thought they were all done this way:confused:

Whats the difference between what he has done with the overlay to what KANE products and how the door handles and all the other things that are Carbon Fiber? Aren't those also overlays??? I thought they were all done this way:confused:

I can clarify what I have done. The entire top half of the center console from where the ashtray was is s-glass and carbon with a few kevlar spines for support. It has no bondo in it. Just a small amount of SMC (a carbon based filler) to add some of the mounting points on the back side. The console trim actually weights 3.5 oz less that factory and is now one piece (not a separate section where the factory clock and air ducts were).

I use a structural carbon that costs more than double than a standard 2x2 twill weave. I also use a Dow epoxy resin modified to my specs. All my overlays are done under vacuum and heat cured to maintain a maximum of 50/50 resin to material weight. In my case because I had to strip all the finish materials off the factory parts to make the shape modifications I had to come up with a finish material. I have a preference for carbon.

Is is an overlay? yes. Is it cosmetic? yes. Did I add any weight to the parts? no. Does it look BAD A$$ ? Yes. :biggrin:

It's hard to get a good picture of the parts. The carbon is so reflective it makes a stark contrast. The look is actually very subtle with the matte top coat.

side note: the "H" logo had to come off. When I sprayed the red on it was an enamel base (rattle can I had laying around). the clear coat is lacquer. the red just bubbled up so I cleaned it off.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see the end result of this. The very sad thing is......This should have already been done STOCK and offered STANDARD on the later model NSX:frown:

What r u doing!!!!
How dare u remove that Cassette player
:tongue:

Yeah - without the cassette deck how are you ever going to hook up an iPod? Don't tell me you are going to use that old FM modulator scheme. That's, like, so 2004.

:wink:

did a test fire-up in the car. here are some pics. Sorry the pictures are fuzzy

DSCF1806sm.jpg

DSCF1808sm.jpg

DSCF1809sm.jpg

couple issues. the audio output is very "hot"/loud. and my gel color for the lighting on the factory climate control is to dark.

I nominate VrooooM as lead designer of the next NSX

I nominate VrooooM as lead designer of the next NSX

yeah, good one.
BTW the climate control has the gel color I have. It actually looks even darker in person. Cool color just doesn't match the RDX parts.

awsome, sounds like what i'm looking for. My brother drives a ford contour and i'm trying to find the blue that they use on the climate control buttons, really pretty deep royal blue kinda hard to explain but. eh. Anyhow awsome work man, you are a genious

more (better) pics please!

I haven't been trolling on the boards for a while and I've been waiting for these pics since you first contacted me about your project. Nice work man! The fabrication is great. I love where you put the upper LCD display. I can't use that spot because I use the OEM Nav pod... very innovative!

Keep up the good work, I'll reply to your PM now.

wow very cool....curious to see finished product.....I wonder how much this damn this cost?? lol

Thanks for expanding my "top 10 craziest NSX projects" thread. This one definitely qualifies.

No hands free yet. I have all the harnesses intact so it should be mostly plug and play. These late model parts are hard to come buy. Can't justify paying thousands for the control units. Still scouring the used market though.

Now all that's left to test your skills is fitting a nice v8 into the NSX :biggrin:

I am in awe!!! too bad it would cost a fortune to mass produce this for Prime members.....Damn Acura for not thinking of this for the NSX's last years!!!!::mad:

Back