• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who's the guilty party that outran the cops?

This?

DSC01304.jpg

Exactly!

I'm sorry, is it your position in your 1st statement that the cops should not pursue because the owner of "a car like that" would have a hard time hiding? If so, your argument is just silly. The cops are chasing the guy because he is presenting a greater danger to public safety than they are by chasing him. That is the criteria, and agency policy varies from department to department.

Training and experience show that many (if not most) reckless drivers who flee the police are impaired (drugs or alcohol), wanted or have just committed a crime. I don't want him on the road and would expect the cops whose salary I help pay to remove him.

You may disagree about who is presenting the greater danger here but, I expect police to take action when needed and not look the other way. I've lost count of the number of pursuits I have been involved in that I terminated myself only to have the driver hurt someone down the road because he continues to drive like an idiot to get out of the area.

There is absolutely no evidence that the driver will stop driving like a moron once the cops terminate the pursuit.....in fact, he was driving like a moron before the cop activated his lights.

Your last statement, "pursue kids out cruising in their sports cars".....really? Thats what you see here?

What really dismays me in all this is the seeming lack of empathy or understanding of the seriousness of police pursuits and the all too common tragedies that result. Trust me, if any of you have had some jackass fleeing the police (for whatever f**ked up reason) kill or maim a loved one, they wouldnt view this as some kind of game.

Without a doubt some cops/supervisors or agencies (still) go too far in allowing pursuits to continue, given the nature of the offense, road and traffic conditions and many, many other factors. In most major agencies the pursuit policies have become extremely restrictive. There are huge civil liabilities for chasing and having something go bad and there are civil liabilities for NOT taking action, applying due diligence, failure to act etc.

Just my 2 cents, I would have pitted that car pretty early on....but not all agencies are trained in the PIT maneuver. JMHO

Nsxpilot, i couldnt agree with you more, that was very well said. What society always forgets is that there aren't any statistics that show how many DUI deaths have been prevented by arresting impaired drivers, because frankly, it's impossible to tell. People get hung up on how many police chases have gone bad, and instead (Cl65 captain) of complaining about getting pulled over at 2am on a weekend, and getting their feelings hurt. It is a tough job, and cops do it for their community, not for themselves. Taking a drunk off the road keeps us all safe. And yes, there is something unusual about a NSX driving around at 2am. So I'm sure the cop did his job, and due diligence and made an investigatve stop, needing only one vehicle code violation to stop your car, (aftermarket exhaust, license plate sticker in the wrong spot, one burned out bulb), whatever. That is called good police work, because you know what, every few stops like that produces a good arrest. So instead of sulking about the officer taking a few minutes of your time, appreciate the fact he is serving the community and not asleep behind a starbucks. Not every traffic stop ends in an arrest, but cops are trained that every stop is dangerous and can end in an arrest. A ridealong at your local department could enlighten your perspective :)

Nsxpilot, i couldnt agree with you more, that was very well said. What society always forgets is that there aren't any statistics that show how many DUI deaths have been prevented by arresting impaired drivers, because frankly, it's impossible to tell. People get hung up on how many police chases have gone bad, and instead (Cl65 captain) of complaining about getting pulled over at 2am on a weekend, and getting their feelings hurt. It is a tough job, and cops do it for their community, not for themselves. Taking a drunk off the road keeps us all safe. And yes, there is something unusual about a NSX driving around at 2am. So I'm sure the cop did his job, and due diligence and made an investigatve stop, needing only one vehicle code violation to stop your car, (aftermarket exhaust, license plate sticker in the wrong spot, one burned out bulb), whatever. That is called good police work, because you know what, every few stops like that produces a good arrest. So instead of sulking about the officer taking a few minutes of your time, appreciate the fact he is serving the community and not asleep behind a starbucks. Not every traffic stop ends in an arrest, but cops are trained that every stop is dangerous and can end in an arrest. A ridealong at your local department could enlighten your perspective :)

gawd, I was gunna leave this one alone.......
thanks for the support!........
the cops were in fact doing their job.......stupid in the white NSX was driving like an idiot (hell, I had a guy about take my wife and I out last week when he decided to pass on a double yellow.....where's a cop when you need him?)........anyway, the fact is just having his license plate, or knowing that it is a rare car that can likely be traced later, is irrelevant....it does not remove stupid from the road that night. It might get him a ticket later but does not remedy the immediate public safety issue. Frankly, I think people watch too much TV and don't really have an idea of how most large police agencies work. And I appreciate your comments on "serving the community" but I want to clarify it a bit......with a caveat......I can't speak for cops everywhere but 35 years in the field (a big share of it patrol work) maybe allows me to to have an opinion.......and that is, MOST cops do care about serving the community......obviously they wouldnt do it for free......caring for the innocents and wanting to help people ranks very high on the list of reasons MOST cops want to do the job......job excitement, working with a team, job security, decent pay and benefits all are big considerations though.......it is a very demanding and challenging job......sometimes you put up with alot of crap ......people calling you a liar when you know you didnt, people occasionally trying to kill you etc.......I have NEVER lied about the PC for a traffic stop and can tell you, it simply isnt necessary.......It is the rare car and driver that I can/t find PC for in a block or two.....and "pretext" stops are appropriate...... are some cops jerks, liars or incompetent?.......well duh.......but I'm guessing a smaller percentage than doctors, managers or priests........JMHO

anyway.....drive safe!

it does not remove stupid from the road that night. It might get him a ticket later but does not remedy the immediate public safety issue.
I don't mean to be combative or disrespectful, but I simply see this issue at a complete 180 degrees from you. To me, the officer who made the decision to start and continue a high speed chase increased the danger for the public at that moment. Far better in my mind to leave that car be and not encourage him in to reckless driving by pursuing him.

I have a great respect for law enforcement and safety. I have been an ambulance medic and driver for years, so I understand some of the dynamics of driving with lights and siren. I have also been an OR tech in a metropolitan hospital and have watched the mangled bodies roll on to the OR table bleeding out after high speed, reckless driving. I've also spent a fair amount of time around the morgues seeing the bodies of people who didn't think that physics would catch up with them. So yes, I take this very seriously. In my mind, more seriously than the officer in the video because I wouldn't take the risk of injuring bystanders just to catch someone that I could catch another way.

I guess I don't buy in to the "he must be removed from the road at this instant" model. To me, the chase increased that person's risky driving dramatically and that is what I see.

Again, no disrespect intended and I appreciate the service you and the many other fine individuals in uniform provide to our communities. It is quite possible that I am simply seeing this through a naive lens, but none the less that is how I am seeing it.

You think the cops would of used spiked tire strips at some point during this chase. I guess they couldnt time it right. I was going to say I would want to have a Hummer H1 in a chase but I didnt know they can only go 70 mph. I guess I would go with a F650 also. Well now that I look at that thing is pretty slow also. Hmmmm something with a strong body thats a little quick. Maybe a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S. A top speed of a little over 170 mph and you can go off road and ram some stuff should work.

Last edited:
...something with a strong body thats a little quick. Maybe a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S. A top speed of a little over 170 mph and you can go off road and ram some stuff should work.

For me to miss an opportunity to prop the Cayenne TT-S would be like BatmanS missing a chance to prop an FD. 3 tons + 550hp/550tq + variable ride height via air ride + 173 MPH = Winning

Back OT, the fleeing NSX surely had something else to hide besides an illegal pass: dui/dwi, too many tickets, no insurance, illegal substances, etc. You don't flee and elude like that situation evolved into just over an illegal pass. LE was absolutely right in pursuing this individual and he is very lucky that they did not PIT him.

Evo is way too light and too delicate to make a good getaway car. I still think a Gray cayenne turbo S with some run-flats in a not-so-low profile size would be perfect. It is a 5500 pound car thatcan ram and push, and can get up and do 180 if need be. A reinforced front bumper or a heavy duty "brush guard" would do well.

How is Cody's big ass truck a good get-away car? When the road opens, you need to run... The NSX here took good advantage of its good handling. How is a big truck going to handle? Or go fast enough to lose a patrol car?

You really need a fast big SUV. cayenne, BMW X in an M version, an ML in an AMG version... But the tires need to be toned down. Some tires better for mild off-road capability, curb jumping capability, yet something that can sustain some high speed. 20" tires won't cut it.

Last edited:
A Veryron would actually make a good getaway car too if you are anywhere with some open roads. It's not that light, it's AWD, and 250+ MPH should get you far enough to where you can dump the fuel-less car and steal a Camry.

LOL... Yes, I am trying to inject fun into the thread. :biggrin:

I don't mean to be combative or disrespectful, but I simply see this issue at a complete 180 degrees from you.

Again, no disrespect intended and I appreciate the service you and the many other fine individuals in uniform provide to our communities. It is quite possible that I am simply seeing this through a naive lens, but none the less that is how I am seeing it.

never thought you were

cheers!

Let's see the cops get me in this.

Yeah yeah, I know they shot the guy but still if he didn't get caught up on that wall, who knows what would have happen :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dDYU-uKo1N8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Evo is way too light and too delicate to make a good getaway car. I still think a Gray cayenne turbo S with some run-flats in a not-so-low profile size would be perfect. It is a 5500 pound car thatcan ram and push, and can get up and do 180 if need be. A reinforced front bumper or a heavy duty "brush guard" would do well.

How is Cody's big ass truck a good get-away car? When the road opens, you need to run... The NSX here took good advantage of its good handling. How is a big truck going to handle? Or go fast enough to lose a patrol car?

You really need a fast big SUV. cayenne, BMW X in an M version, an ML in an AMG version... But the tires need to be toned down. Some tires better for mild off-road capability, curb jumping capability, yet something that can sustain some high speed. 20" tires won't cut it.

Never under estimate trucks. His truck is quick, can offroad and I'm sure can move any police cruiser out of the way. I'd take his truck or something like that and hop over a few curbs and be on my way.

And it's probably almost as fast as your supercharged nsx around the track :biggrin:

Yeah yeah, I know they shot the guy but still if he didn't get caught up on that wall, who knows what would have happen :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dDYU-uKo1N8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I hate to say it but its too bad he got caught on that wall... lol

why hasnt anyone suggested a get away vehicle as a

Typhoon or Cyclone these things are fast as shit and can take a beating

gmc-typhoon.jpg

Last edited:
why hasnt anyone suggested a get away vehicle as a Typhoon or Cyclone these things are fast as shit and can take a beating

Frankly, I'd rather be caught and go to jail than to drive one of these two pieces of sh*t.

it was in San Diego. I remember watching it live. The dude got high and went to the local national guard station by Mesa College and stole the tank.
It was b 4 911 so no security.

yikes Turbo2go if thats how you feel LOL

they are junk just wanted to post one with the girls a_s :biggrin:

What car would you guys pick if you had to make a run for it anyway?

A bike is probably best...

If I was a wheel man in a robbery movie, I'd choose a military hummer with a 50 cal and ten thousand rounds of armor-piercing death pills.

Otherwise, definitely a bike, police radio waves are very very fast

bikes are faster, nimble, and easily hidden... the only advantage

otherwise, a supercharged Toyota Tundra (504HP), bash bumpers, full baja suspension, run-flat beadlocked 35's, a huge gas tank, and a 360 degree, gimbal-mounted 30mm in the bed with precision engagement and control systems from an A-10 warthog... that would do the trick

Last edited:
That was an amusing car chase. I'm not going to lie and say that I'm all for justice, but I really wanted the NSX to win :cool:

After reading all the posts about that wild NSX driver, it reminds me of this great movie classic VANISHING POINT starring Barry Newman. It's one of the great car chase movies of all time. Story was about a car chase.... cops chasing a guy driving a supercharged Dodge Challenger. People took sides in that movie also. That's part of what made that movie fascinating. That was filmed in 1971. Seems not much has changed since then, other than the car machinery.

In the movie the Dodge Challenger had a supercharger in it to be able to outrun the cops. The NSX probably had a supercharger in it to accelerate the way he did. The car chase in the movie ran a lot longer than the NSX 8 minutes but the spirit was there. Also, takes a bit of driving skills (and luck) to be able to elude them cops and not hit anything.

But anyway, here's the VANISHING POINT trailer: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161233

It'll be fun to see that movie.

Last edited:
Yes, I saw vanishing point when I was a young, 67 mustang fastback hot rodder. 30+ years ago. I wanted to be that guy in the challenger, until the end of the movie. definitely a cult classic. I still bring up that movie in conversation, and lots of people remember it. They all loved it.

1.) Someone running does not always mean a car is stolen or that they are drunk or high. Sometimes people just have a straw that breaks the proverbial camel's back and they run because they can, and they just don't give a crap anymore. Simple as that.

2.) An Evo VIII or Evo IX are more than capable vehicles, and can easily outrun MOST police vehicles, on or off road.

3.) Crown Vic with light bar on top goes about 125 mph top speed. Without light bar on top they go around 140 mph. So a car that handles and goes 150 mph plus and has a capable driver stands a good chance against the pursuit cars if they act quickly before they are simply outnumbered.

Last edited:
be careful of dave at the next nsxpo, he'll narc you out :cool:

The cop's aggressive position shows he's there to mess with the three cruising vehicles, the nsx is driving like an idiot, but the officer is the one who decides to go supercop, risking the welfare of not only the car which fled, but also the hundreds of citizens frantically trying to get out of the way of this police chase.

You may argue this was done by the nsx owner, but the cop should know better - he's been trained, and his duty is to the community; in addition, he's got a radio, which he should use, or he could have pulled over the other two cars, and found out the identity of the fleeing white car that way, instead of creating this dangerous situation.

You will notice that a few minutes after supercop is no longer the lead pursuit vehicle the chase is called off.

+1+1

Back