• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Are you buying or waiting!

I am trying to take the "temperature" on the demand for the NSX.2. At this point I have no idea of the 2016 (2017) production run quantity; when production will commence; whether first year allocations are actually sold; whether the price will be maintained without a huge depreciation hit; etc.

Any insiders have this information?

How many of us have actually placed orders?

Or is the "smart money" waiting?

The actual first year production volume will be the number I would like to see.

I believe Acura has said something about 800 cars for the US plus or minus.

Based on previous experience with the S2000 I am guessing 1200 for the US (Honda stated they would bring 5000 S2000s and the real number was closer to 7500 that year).

Perhaps we can assume if demand is good Honda will try to raise the MSRP by, say, $7-10K per year.
I'm also thinking the cars will lose about $25K per year in value.
So if you buy today at, say, $180K and in two years MSRP on the same car is $195K the car you bought today would be worth about $145K.

All speculation of course.
I do know Honda is committed to building NSXs to order to avoid unsold inventory which should help maintain more stable prices.

Perhaps we can assume if demand is good Honda will try to raise the MSRP by, say, $7-10K per year.
So if you buy today at, say, $180K and in two years MSRP on the same car is $195K the car you bought today would be worth about $145K.

I do know Honda is committed to building NSXs to order to avoid unsold inventory which should help maintain more stable prices.

I think the hit will be far steeper than $25K. I don't think the market is there for this car (unfortunately). At $175-180K (US), there are still much better options than this car. The depreciation will likely exceed $50K (if not more). It pains me to say this, as I was #1 on my dealer list at MSRP and recently let my spot go. Like many others here, I waited a looong time for what is nothing special. In fact, I got tired of waiting and bought a McLaren. However, I won't rule out the prospect of buying an NSX...only after I see how they do, and what plans the company has for the car. I wanted to like this car in so many ways. The tech is sweet, but the design just doesn't inspire me enough to make a play for one. Honda, if you're listening, I don't think I'm the only one that had cash in hand, ready to spend on this car...it needs more of a unique, compelling style at this price point.

lower-wider-more buttress...morrrrre difffffffusssser...alacantraaaaaaaaaaa.......

Well, I guess we're all waiting right now by default. As I said in another thread, I would love a more in-depth report of impressions and instrumented results around a know racetrack with a known professional driver. That would lay to rest some concerns I have about how effectively all the new technology and systems work together. If it is slower than a GT-R around the track, that would give me pause, for example.

PD who is a very successful pro driver ( realtime) and raced the old nsx to championships was very excited about the car.Im not sure which tires he was running on.You can review the 2015 nsxpo threads for more info.also there is a video with randy probst driving who is a reliable reviewer.

Last edited:
also there is a video with randy probst driving who is a reliable reviewer.

I poked around and cannot find the Pobst video. A timed lap around Laguna with Randy at the wheel would be awesome info to have. The Sears/Infineon/Sonoma reviews from Oct 2015 clearly had a data embargo--- none of them included any test numbers that were not in the Acura press releases. And the car was characterized as pre-release with potential improvements from software tweaks in the production model.

We need an instrumented test of the production car. My dream would be that, with both cars on Cup2s, the NSX will beat a C7 Z06 around the track-- but I don't suspect that is possible.

Last edited:
When one of the first buyers takes delivery, we will expect something like this one.

NICE!

Videos like that remind me of how amazing the C7Z06 is-- and for half the price of NSX! But variety is the spice of life.

I would not bet on the NSX on a banked speedway like this-- raw power/weight is gonna favor the Z06. I also wonder if (fear that?) the NSX battery will run out of breath on long WOT segments.

My hope is that the NSX will shine on a road course like this one. I am not the driver, BTW.

can someone please post the randy probst track review video here ....

Perhaps. 2014 V10 Audi R8s are sitting right around the $140k mark so you may be right on target with a 2 year old NSX being around that price. Acura can do a lot by keeping production numbers very low. I am not sure that an annual hike of $7-10k would help matters though - seems like they could quickly overprice their car by doing that.

May I assume by the limited responses, few of us are willing to commit their dollars $$$$$ for the NSX?

Reviews are out, and no groundswell of excitement.

Is this going to be a depreciating dud?

May I assume by the limited responses, few of us are willing to commit their dollars $$$$$ for the NSX?

Reviews are out, and no groundswell of excitement.

Is this going to be a depreciating dud?

The reliability of the emotors will determine the depreciation rate IMO. The car is going to hold value tho if everything holds together like the reviews suggests, with launch after launch of no issues.

Today's reviews are mostly a second wave of the same information provided after the October 2015 round of reviews from Sonoma. Not sure why this would change anyone's mind one way or the other.

Reviews are out, and no groundswell of excitement. Is this going to be a depreciating dud?

My take is this is going to be a great car both to own and drive.
Expect it will be looked down upon by the European marque owners as usual.
And there will be other cars that post better numbers.
But to drive this NSX I expect will be an absolute pleasure.
I've said before we've only seen the tip of the iceberg with what's been built into this car.
Only 800 for America for the first year, rare indeed.
And I'm certain Honda will stand behind this car and that is the biggest comfort of all.

Not to mention that a few of us have no choice but to wait now, until our dealer gets more allocation. I'm committed, still just debating various options and waiting for the dealer to contact me.

I think this car will fit the buyer demographic quite well...the performance envelope will impress..it will not beat you up on long drives and should be easy to own.

FWIW, Since the Sears Point reviews the car has been improved. That's all I can say about this for now. Hint: Some of the improvements originated from the Motherland themselves.

The point is... Honda learned from the initial feedback and quickly made adjustments. I think the car's development will exhibit this for a few years into production - Even Graham Rahal said this. I'm waiting myself but i've got my eyes targeted on one in the near future.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep in mind that the new NSX doesn't have nearly as many technology convenience features as even the 2016 Civic. No Lane Keep Assist, No radar Collision Mitigation, No Adaptive Cruise Control... I'm not even sure if it has a lane change warning system. You even have to pay extra for parking sensors.

I get it... the business case dictates you can amortize the tooling costs to a high volume car like the Civic but man... I was hoping for $200k they could have figured this out. I would expect these options in a future version.

Last edited:
I'm IN

I think this car will fit the buyer demographic quite well...the performance envelope will impress..it will not beat you up on long drives and should be easy to own.

My order was submitted and receive by my dealer on the early Tuesday access, plus my repeat done on official Thursday was also received.
I've had deposit on it for being 1'st order since June '13.
We're just waiting on his corporate Green Light to submit it. Seems the big dealers are getting them first, and mine is not there.. yet till their new Mega facility is completed

I early/preordered my '09 GT-R w/o any reviews based on faith I'd be pleased, and I have no regrets.

Many of the reviews have found some NSX down sides... primarily as far as tracking goes but have good to say on what it seems more designed/suited for... spirited driving on regular roads.
I'm not into tacking... beyond auto cross, and I have other toys (Nissan Z's) well suited enough for that.
I don't like the huge price beyond what I expected when placing deposit, nor some of the configuration limitations or compromises. It does make me consider wonderful alternatives in same or less price range... particularly if considering slightly used, But I've got faith and have decided to hang in and ride out the wait till delivery.

I'm concerned on what the final sneaker offering(s) will be. I don't like the reviews on Conti's and would accept the down sides of "normal driving" with the Cups if only alternative. Wish we could get more choices like non cup Pilot Super Sports. I have them on two cars and love them. Also know a few F car owners who love them on their pricey Toys. Though a recent review spoke of test riding on a version of Pirelli P Zeros which were viewed much better than the Conti's. If those are an alternative to the Conti's and Cups, it may be the acceptable alternative/compromise IF available. I don't like that piped in sound, particularly in tack mode can be a bit over the top (one review said +25db)... If I'm not planning to track it but want to use that mode at times. I'm hoping that can be switched out in via a mode set up menu option, a switch, a Fuse pull, or later via a hack. Or since it is piped in vs via speakers... simple tube plugging. If I'm riding spiritedly and want to hear the engine vs audio system, I can open the windows. Maynot be perfect, but a suitable workaround

I REALLY like that it is DIFFERENT than the comparative pack. I also appreciate that it is efficient, Hi Tech (though may hold back any praise until I've actually experienced all the By Wire results), It should be a blast to just drive on any road. And regardless of what some say on styling views, it will get noticed (positively I'm sure) and a lot.
I look forward to starting from rest more smoothly/efficiently than my somewhat harsh/aggressive GT-R... and will appreciate a more quite cabin than the GT-R when out just riding for an extended time/log trip. (tires and drivetrain noise it was born with can get old). OK I sound like a geezer so maybe I am.

OK
Off my soap box and just getting more anxious for thumbs up on order submittal notice from my dealer.

congrats..we will have a small battle to see which primer is the first:biggrin:...not me I'm in the wait category but have no doubts it is a winner.btw why do you call yourself gadgetman?

My order was submitted and receive by my dealer on the early Tuesday access, plus my repeat done on official Thursday was also received.
I've had deposit on it for being 1'st order since June '13.
We're just waiting on his corporate Green Light to submit it. Seems the big dealers are getting them first, and mine is not there.. yet till their new Mega facility is completed

I early/preordered my '09 GT-R w/o any reviews based on faith I'd be pleased, and I have no regrets.

Many of the reviews have found some NSX down sides... primarily as far as tracking goes but have good to say on what it seems more designed/suited for... spirited driving on regular roads.
I'm not into tacking... beyond auto cross, and I have other toys (Nissan Z's) well suited enough for that.
I don't like the huge price beyond what I expected when placing deposit, nor some of the configuration limitations or compromises. It does make me consider wonderful alternatives in same or less price range... particularly if considering slightly used, But I've got faith and have decided to hang in and ride out the wait till delivery.

I'm concerned on what the final sneaker offering(s) will be. I don't like the reviews on Conti's and would accept the down sides of "normal driving" with the Cups if only alternative. Wish we could get more choices like non cup Pilot Super Sports. I have them on two cars and love them. Also know a few F car owners who love them on their pricey Toys. Though a recent review spoke of test riding on a version of Pirelli P Zeros which were viewed much better than the Conti's. If those are an alternative to the Conti's and Cups, it may be the acceptable alternative/compromise IF available. I don't like that piped in sound, particularly in tack mode can be a bit over the top (one review said +25db)... If I'm not planning to track it but want to use that mode at times. I'm hoping that can be switched out in via a mode set up menu option, a switch, a Fuse pull, or later via a hack. Or since it is piped in vs via speakers... simple tube plugging. If I'm riding spiritedly and want to hear the engine vs audio system, I can open the windows. Maynot be perfect, but a suitable workaround

I REALLY like that it is DIFFERENT than the comparative pack. I also appreciate that it is efficient, Hi Tech (though may hold back any praise until I've actually experienced all the By Wire results), It should be a blast to just drive on any road. And regardless of what some say on styling views, it will get noticed (positively I'm sure) and a lot.
I look forward to starting from rest more smoothly/efficiently than my somewhat harsh/aggressive GT-R... and will appreciate a more quite cabin than the GT-R when out just riding for an extended time/log trip. (tires and drivetrain noise it was born with can get old). OK I sound like a geezer so maybe I am.

OK
Off my soap box and just getting more anxious for thumbs up on order submittal notice from my dealer.
People that want a track car should by a GT3 RS or even the new 488 GTB. Even the old NSX was track capable but not a track car. Track videos get page views... That's about all their good for. I suppose that's like the 4x4 videos of a Range Rover. How many owners actually get mud on their Rovers.

Tire availability are due to supply issues from Michelin. I love my Michelin PSS's also. They are a great all around sportscar tire. What I will probably do is to order the NSX with the Cup 2's (I don't like the Trofeo Rs on the Mclarens as much as the Cup 2s) and will order a set of street wheels with the PSS's. It's notable to say, the Conti's on the new NSX are a special blend apparently. Still not sure it'll be as good as the PSS's. I had Conti Extreme Contact DWs for a while. While good, still not nearly as robust as the PSS. What I found interesting is the default tire pressure setting on the Conti's is 31psi. Seems a bit low to me.

I'm with you on the NSX. I'm looking for a versatile all around car as i've found myself doing long commutes up and down the California coast in my NSX now. I've done this drive in a 12C a few times, and while it can do the job, as a GT car it falls short in a few areas. My old NSX, which is now a Porsche GT3 (not GT3 RS) equivalent will continue to be my track/canyon car I believe. While maybe a AMG GT-S or the new NSX might be more of a daily driver.

Last edited:
I expect to finalize my order (#1 slot) and put down deposit in a week or so. I was hoping that the new reviews would reveal more, but I'm pretty comfortable. Like others, I have ordered many "all new" cars sight unseen and never had serious issues or regrets.

It is great to hear that the car improved since Sonoma reviews (can't wait to hear details of this)--- too bad the October reviewers were not included in the Thermal event. A compare/contrast would have been helpful.

None of these flashy cars are "track cars." A Spec Miata is more of a track car than a GT3 RS. Lets be real. We just want to play with our toys without breaking them and not be embarrassed.

I would prefer to not be passed on the track by an old R8 or GT-R or C6 Z06 (but can live with yielding to an R8 V10+ or Nismo, for example).

A major appeal of the NSX is the "new new thing" technology-- and part of that is the "software defined" nature of lots of its systems. Exciting to know that Acura is continuing to focus on improvements/refinements.

Back