• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Girls Chinese Gymnastics Team Investigated?

They eat dogs in Korea~~~.

They also eat cats in Korea~~~

I USA, we also a form of pet, it's called..... Babe!!!!

True, dog & cat eating is more prevalent in Korea but the Chinese do eat dog. A vast minority of Chinese eat it but it is considered part of their cuisine. Hardly any Chinese or Koreans eat it in the USA.

I'm not sure why this is a big deal. I am not saying all or even most Chinese/Asians eat dog. I'm making a joke based on the fact that it's consumed there by thousands of people every day which is true. Americans get made fun of for eating greasy burgers and cheese doodles and, since we do eat them, no one should be offended by a joke pointing out that fact.

I personally see nothing wrong with it. I don't care what animals get eaten and where they eat them. There's no difference between a dog, cat, pig, rat, cow or beetle. Some taste better than others but morally it's the same thing. I've been all over the world and eaten lots of crazy animals. I'll try any kind of animal meat once.

True, dog & cat eating is more prevalent in Korea but the Chinese do eat dog. A vast minority of Chinese eat it but it is considered part of their cuisine. Hardly any Chinese or Koreans eat it in the USA.
I'm not sure why this is a big deal. I am not saying all or even most Chinese/Asians eat dog. I'm making a joke based on the fact that it's consumed there by thousands of people every day which is true. Americans get made fun of for eating greasy burgers and cheese doodles and, since we do eat them, no one should be offended by a joke pointing out that fact.

I personally see nothing wrong with it. I don't care what animals get eaten and where they eat them. There's no difference between a dog, cat, pig, rat, cow or beetle. Some taste better than others but morally it's the same thing. I've been all over the world and eaten lots of crazy animals. I'll try any kind of animal meat once.

What?:eek:

I'm not sure why this is a big deal.

It is a VERY big deal to me. :mad:

And I have NO respect for anyone who who eat dog.

Would have a problem with someone eating human?

Last edited:
plenty of fido eaters in the Phillipines.

It is a VERY big deal to me. :mad:

And I have NO respect for anyone who who eat dog.

Would have a problem with someone eating human?

You're not actually suggesting dogs and people are equal, are you? And besides, you've probably met many people who have eaten dog and don't know it, particularly if you've ever been to Asia. You'd have no respect for someone because of something they eat?

And what exactly is the difference between a pig and a dog? Pigs are smarter. How can you justify what animals are "acceptable" to eat?

It's not a common practice but of course it does happen from what I understand. Certainly far less common than in Asia, obviously.

Last edited:
No one cared until they won.

+1

This is going to be a politically and ethnically charged hot topic.

If the Americans had won, this wouldn't have even been brought up. What the American's should do is look at their own performance. Their performance in the competition which they lost wasn't all that good, and had several major errors. Their own performance left something to be desired, regardless of the age of the competition. Could it be that the Chinese simply delivered a better performance that day?

When the Americans won the individuals a few days later, no one was talking about the age issue of the Chinese anymore.

What's next if they are in fact found to be 16? Accusations that the judging was rigged?

Last edited:
+1

This is going to be a politically and ethnically charged hot topic.

If the Americans had won, this wouldn't have even been brought up. What the American's should do is look at their own performance. Their performance in the competition which they lost wasn't all that good, and had several major errors. Their own performance left something to be desired, regardless of the age of the competition. Could it be that the Chinese simply delivered a better performance that day?

When the Americans won the individuals a few days later, no one was talking about the age issue of the Chinese anymore.

What's next if they are in fact found to be 16? Accusations that the judging was rigged?

I do find it reprehensible that the story only caught fire because of the Chinese success. Rules are rules and should be enforced.

The Chinese may very well have been better than day but you cannot definitively state that it had nothing to do with age. It may or may not have. There may be a drawback in terms of the mental game but according to the experts the physical advantage is indisputable. If being young weren't an advantage (which every expert I've seen claims is there is one) there wouldn't be such pressure and desire to get the girls ready younger, hence the need for the rule.

There was already a TV interview with some Russian guy talking about how that girl Sacramone (I just don't care enough to check if I spelled that right) should have won one of the events. Called it a 'rip-off' multiple times, and seemed close to tears with the perceived injustice. This was even before the closing ceremony.

Sounded convincing by the way he described the judging rules, but who knows for sure?

As far as the timing goes, though, why put a lot of time and effort trying to knock someone down a peg if they're already down from losing to you?

Nick

I do find it reprehensible that the story only caught fire because of the Chinese success. Rules are rules and should be enforced.

The Chinese may very well have been better than day but you cannot definitively state that it had nothing to do with age. It may or may not have. There may be a drawback in terms of the mental game but according to the experts the physical advantage is indisputable. If being young weren't an advantage (which every expert I've seen claims is there is one) there wouldn't be such pressure and desire to get the girls ready younger, hence the need for the rule.

My main point is that Americans as a whole (although I'm sure there are exceptions) haven't learned to lose gracefully. The US has lost and continues to lose ground on the world stage in a variety of aspects. Before recent times, losing gracefully is a skill that we never really had to learn. The learning curve will be steep and painful. Crying foul when we lose just perpuates the image of the "ugly American", and does not gain us any respect.

Last edited:
My main point is that Americans as a whole (although I'm sure there are exceptions) haven't learned to lose gracefully. The US has lost and continues to lose ground on the world stage in a variety of aspects. Before recent times, losing gracefully is a skill that we never really had to learn. The learning curve will be steep and painful. Crying foul when we lose just perpuates the image of the "ugly American", and does not gain us any respect.

Obviously I watch the US media so I'm not sure if anyone else even cared about the issue. If it was just the US complaining loudly then yes, that's in poor taste. Just looks like an excuse for losing.

If it was just the US complaining loudly then yes, that's in poor taste. Just looks like an excuse for losing.

Of course it's going to be the USA complaining. We are the one's who got the silver medal when in one event it clearly should have been the gold medal. Do you think a country that came in 12th place is going give a cr@p that the chinese used underage athletes?

:biggrin:
Of course it's going to be the USA complaining. We are the one's who got the silver medal when in one event it clearly should have been the gold medal. Do you think a country that came in 12th place is going give a cr@p that the chinese used underage athletes?

maybe if their gymnasts were 80 years old.:biggrin:

America F'ing rocks, ben. what country are you from?

Born, raised, live, vote, and pay taxes in the US, but have live abroad and traveled around enough to have a world view of things, and care about the overall image of Americans to the rest of the world.

My business partner just came back from Korea. He was there fore three years on an assignment with his company.

He love dog meat!!! He told me that they have a special breed of dog they eat and have a farm for it. It's not like some thing they pick up from the street and start cooking them.

BTW, he's white!!!

What if the same Chinese girls come back in four years and win more gold metals, is the Olympic going to raise the age to 20?

My business partner just came back from Korea. He was there fore three years on an assignment with his company.

He love dog meat!!! He told me that they have a special breed of dog they eat and have a farm for it. It's not like some thing they pick up from the street and start cooking them.

BTW, he's white!!!

:eek:

Go back and watch the team competition in which the Americans got silver. Pay attention to the errors and falls. I think that casts enough doubt on the performance that silver was warranted. If the performance was impeccable, then it could be argued. But, the performance wasn't up to par of what they were capable of.

Later, in the individual event, when there was the 1-2 American finish, it was deserved, as that day's performance clearly was the best w/o question, and was much improved over the previous silver performance.

Last edited:
What if the same Chinese girls come back in four years and win more gold metals, is the Olympic going to raise the age to 20?

if they indeed turn out to be under sage, i dont think they will be returning for the next olympics, and if theyre elligible for the olympics after that they will be too old

Back to the issue of young age.

Is it really that big of an advantage? I'm not an expert in this by any means, but length of training, experience, and skill that comes with experience would count for a lot in this sort of thing I would imagine.

Oksana Chusovitina of the German team is 33 years old, has had a kid, and beats people half her age:

- Won the all-around title at the 2007 German National Championships.
- At the 2007 European Championships, she placed second on the vault.
- She won the gold medal in the vault 2008 Women's European Championships.
- At Beijing in 2008, she won the silver medal in the vault.

if a girl is 4 feet tall, weighs 75 pounds, she will be able to pull off some incredible tricks that a girl thats 5.5ft tall and weighs 100-115 pounds, she will be able to hang in the air longer, flip more, twist more, more rotations before landing, easier to land.

its just like your nsx, while about the same as a nsx-r, it just cant hang with an nsx-r because the nsx-r is lighter and more balanced which is the difference between the current market value of 70k for a us 05, and 150k+ for a 05 nsx-r

Born, raised, live, vote, and pay taxes in the US, but have live abroad and traveled around enough to have a world view of things, and care about the overall image of Americans to the rest of the world.

Our image? We aren't the ones breaking rules. We're the ones trying to uphold the rules. Big deal. Look at the challenge in the Phelps race. Same thing.

Questioning when someone might be breaking the rules is not bad sportsmanship. The root of the entire issue is that for the past 2 years, Chinese newspapers have published the ages of some of these girls as 12 and 13, which would make them 14 or 15 today. Those articles have all been taken off the net - of course, there are plenty of copies floating around. One person found a copy of He's birth record on a Chinese gov't website that showed she is currently 14. Of course, that website was taken down a day later.

As for losing gracefully, what about Turkish wrestler who walked off from the medal stand and the Cuban Tai-kwon-do guy who kicked the ref in the head?

Also - talk about losing badly, when an American dominates, like Lance Armstrong or Michael Phellps, the rest of the world taints their accomplishments with accusations of doping, even though these two in particular are the most tested athletes ever.

does people care about age and olympic games that much?!:confused:

FWIW, I would like to put a 40 yrs old requirement for F1 circuit, banning Hamilton, so maybe, maybe by that age I could have enough training and compete!!! and he's still underage. :tongue:

Back