• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question: 02 Headlights

I've looked around and noticed that aftermarket alternatives for 2002 headlights have just about become extinct nowadays due to high failure rates. My question is: are there any still available, and why can't you just use a reliable electronic ballast to substitute for the unreliable ones? I've had WhiteNSX's McCullough kit on my car for 4+ years now without much trouble, and I think Downforce also uses a reliable one. I'm thinking about the 02 front end conversion but don't want to pay $2k for the OEM headlights when I don't really like the design that much since it has similar sized projectors and that pesky orange strip. I want a reliable solution but I prefer the look of the GT-one units or perhaps another type, but again, I haven't seen many other types other than from Japan. I am thinking there may be a mix and match solution with the headlight and a reliable ballast out there somewhere.

Last edited:
Something to note when I was examining the 02+ light housings. It appears the ballast and the wiring from headlight to balast assembly is self contained inside the headlight housing. I'm not sure what the "02+ conversion" guys are doing but I imagine there's some fab work need here if you plan to use an aftermarket HID kit... would like for someone to shed some light on this.

Also, here's the biggest shocker for me... the 02+ housing are so much lighter than the entire popup headlight assembly. So an equivalent pre-02 02+ style housing/casing is equally as light I hope.

Last edited:
It appears the ballast and the wiring from headlight to balast assembly is self contained inside the headlight housing

I'm running OEM 02 headlights with aftermarket HID kit. The OEM HID ballasts are specifically made to "seal" the bottom hole where the wires come into the headlight. Since I am using an aftermarket kit, I just left the bottom hole as is. Yes, this will cause condensation/bugs/dirt/dust to get into the headlight housing.

Last edited:
I left my oem HID ballast on to cover the hole and installed an aftermarket HID system 6000W. Just need to drill a hole on the bulb cover just like doing the pre 02 headlamp.

DSC00271.JPG

DSC00272.JPG

I've taken a part quite a few sets of OEM 2002+ headlights and noticed a few things:

a) The technology and quality is sub-par for a $80k+ car, they facelifted the outside but inside there is no technology here at all compared to a modern Lexus headlamp for instance

b) The headlight leveler looks like something I could have created

c) Everything is very lightweight as another poster has mentioned. The projector itself is very simple but works. I would love to one day try using s2000 projectors instead which has a sharper beam cutoff

d) Do NOT try to clean the plastic inner lense with any chemical or you will be in trouble

e) Definitely paint the inner matte silver if you want a more aggressive look :)

here's what they look like taken aparT:
IMG_5945.jpg

Painted and smoked:
IMG_5987.jpg

An LED setup we did:
LEDver2.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I've thought about retrofitting the 02 headlights with Morimotos (Not sure the S2k would fit?). I'll have to see if it's worth it for the marginal improvement. If I was in europe where halogen low beam is standard.. I would do the retrofit in a heartbeat.
BTW... do you have a pic of those matte black shrouds on the car? :)

For folks the using 02s or have otherwise taken it apart... Do you think running a 55w HID setup will cause too much heat buildup? Those lights are not cheap if you screw it up but wondering if folks have done it.

here's what they look like taken aparT:
IMG_5945.jpg

Last edited:
.......a) The technology and quality is sub-par for a $80k+ car, they facelifted the outside but inside there is no technology here at all compared to a modern Lexus headlamp for instance.......

this doesn't surprise me since the 02+ "facelift" was really an afterthought and IMHO a desperate attempt to attract the guys staring too long at the F360....

The 02 facelift was a retrofit of sorts on the existing chassis. It's pretty obvious they took the efficient "it's good enough" route. Just look at the OEM Honda welds below (Yikes!). Of course, it would have taken more man hours to simply cut around the height adjuster section and properly weld in a smaller piece but i'm sure it would be 10x more time too. This looks like an instance where the design team designed something the construction people have to ghetto-rig around. lol

A well done 02+ conversion can actually be done much better imo and w/o using the DF layover ---> now that's really an afterthought.

After all is said and done... like them or not.. you can't argue the weight savings of the 02 lights and there is a lot to be said for the minimalist approach. Someone might say the design is weak or lacking but some might say it's genius in it's efficient use of as little material as possible.

This is from a friend's 04'.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 02 OEM Headlight Welds.jpg
    02 OEM Headlight Welds.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,013
Last edited:
I actually have high and low beam HID, I have installed slim ballasts inside the headlight housing, so it looks 100% OEM, two ballasts per side can fit inside (you put them in through the bulb access hole, the wires run in through the bottm hole, very clean and simple.

Lots of good info but are there alternatives to the oem anymore or not?

there are many options, but it's whether or not you can find em.

honda made the light as light as possible, so of course it'll be straight forward.

this is copied from the "update nsx" thread:

1. Revolution Ver.1

DSC02329er.JPG

2. Revolution Ver.2

revo2.jpg

3. Mugen

mugen.jpg

4. Marga Hills

margahills.jpg

5. Backyard Special

bys.jpg

6. Taitec

taitec.jpg

7. ABS dynamics

abs.jpg

8. Honda Factory Lemans NSX GT2

gt2.jpg

there are many options, but it's whether or not you can find em.

honda made the light as light as possible, so of course it'll be straight forward.

this is copied from the "update nsx" thread:

1. Revolution Ver.1

2. Revolution Ver.2

3. Mugen

4. Marga Hills

5. Backyard Special

7. ABS dynamics

8. Honda Factory Lemans NSX GT2

Its funny that that is called an update NSX thread, those all look like tacked on ricer bits to me personally and make the car look like an 80s car like an F40! I was looking for an alternative to go with the 02 front end. I do appreciate the effort though :)

Last edited:
Its funny that that is called an update NSX thread, those all look like tacked on ricer bits to me personally and make the car look like an 80s car like an F40! I was looking for an alternative to go with the 02 front end. I do appreciate the effort though :)

oh sorry haha, i read the orig post too fast. yah, there isn't much you can do that i know of off the bat as far as an 02 headlight option. both hyper rev books didn't have any pics of any different 02 lights :redface:

Last edited:
Nero - I misunderstood too. I thought the same thing he did ^^^. I haven't seen any 02 headlight replacement from the aftermarket. They seem unoffensive (dare I say they look good?) and they are very light so the business case to build replacements would be little to none except for cost. All the popup fixed headlight retrofits you see above have legitimate business cases imho (though, I think they are all fugly).

For those that asked...Here's a quick list I compiled for my "grab bag" of front end weight saving items.

1. 02 Headlight conversion - less ~30lbs
2. Alum bumper beam conversion - less ~16lbs (additional 3-5lbs less if washer reservoir is removed filled w/ fluid)
3. Spare Tire & Bracket - ~31lbs
4. Race battery - ~30lbs? (I haven't measured this yet)
5. Lighter Coilovers - ~20lbs? (I haven't measured this yet)

Choice Mods accretive to weight :frown:
1. Bigger sway bar - more 2lbs?
2. STMPO front brace - more ~1lbs
3. Type R lower chassis bar - more 4lbs?

I may be missing a few things but that's roughly a net savings of 113 lbs. That's heavier than most girlfriends and she'd have to be hanging off the front end!

Last edited:
Nero - I misunderstood too. I thought the same thing he did ^^^. I haven't seen any 02 headlight replacement from the aftermarket. They seem unoffensive (dare I say they look good?) and they are very light so the business case to build replacements would be little to none except for cost. All the popup fixed headlight retrofits you see above have legitimate business cases imho (though, I think they are all fugly).

For those that asked...Here's a quick list I compiled for my "grab bag" of weight front end weight savings items.

1. 02 Headlight conversion - less ~30lbs
2. Alum bumper beam conversion - less ~16lbs (additional 5lbs+ if washer reservoir is removed filled w/ fluid)
3. Spare Tire & Bracket - ~31lbs
4. Race battery - ~30lbs? (I haven't measured this yet)
5. Lighter Coilovers - ~20lbs? (I haven't measured this yet)

Choice Mods accretive to weight :frown:
1. Bigger sway bar - more 2lbs?
2. STMPO front brace - more 8lbs
3. Type R lower chassis bar - more 4lbs?

I may be missing a few things but that's roughly a net savings of 113 lbs. That's heavier than most girlfriends and she'd have to be hanging off the front end!

Ryu - quick fyi

The STMPO FCB replaces the factory tie downs... weight is less than 1 lbs over oem

Back