• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2021 F1 thread....

Norris said his crew didn't tell him of the heavy rain, he found out driving into it. Hum..... 2007 in China rings a bell.
I thought I heard on the espn broadcast that he told the crew he was staying out despite them telling to come in. But then again I was half asleep, and since it isn’t Ferrari I don’t watch quite as closely as I used to.

Ricardo went against the team’s suggestion to stay out. Norris felt he can stay out bc he wasn’t advised about the forecast, he wasn’t told it’ll be more than a drizzle.

at the end of the day Mclaren has to do better, send someone out 10 miles out and call it in. I could tell the weather conditions by simply checking online. They made an amateur mistake but you live and learn

Ricardo went against the team’s suggestion to stay out. Norris felt he can stay out bc he wasn’t advised about the forecast, he wasn’t told it’ll be more than a drizzle.

at the end of the day Mclaren has to do better, send someone out 10 miles out and call it in. I could tell the weather conditions by simply checking online. They made an amateur mistake but you live and learn

McLaren pulled a Ferrari and stepped all over themselves. As noted, Hamilton had to pit once Verstappen came in, so McLaren should have as well, they had nothing to lose.

A heckuva run by Verstappen. Last to second. Even without rain, he drove a solid race.

Merc had the easier call I think. If Lando stays out come in, if he comes in stay out. That said after Hamilton took tires they should have too. I probably put 60/40 blame on the team, but Lando was VERY adamant about not coming in.

I know. Istanbul, which was once Constantinople, is the race location. I guess I was too subtle.;)

I like the history lesson lol. I personally haven’t been to the track yet but I’ve read and heard good things after the resurfacing. It’s only an hour and a half from my place but I’m never there when the F1 race takes place.

Its unfortunate Honda didn’t have a proper good send off in Suzuka.

I like the history lesson lol. I personally haven’t been to the track yet but I’ve read and heard good things after the resurfacing. It’s only an hour and a half from my place but I’m never there when the F1 race takes place.

Its unfortunate Honda didn’t have a proper good send off in Suzuka.

HaHa.

The track looks good at practice this morning.

I spent a week there many years ago; beautiful area, and a wonderful city.

That was the first race in a while that stayed intermediate the whole race. It looked like it started to dry out, as Vettel’s team thought; but then the light rain came back.

As much as Hamilton thought he should have stayed on his first set of tires, I’m fairly confident his tires were beyond stretching to the end. And in the end, the risk wasn’t worth the reward.

Nice race by Bottas and both Red Bulls. I don’t know if Sainz did anything special. But he did drive well.

Hamilton should have pitted directly after Perez pitted, and then used his faster car to overtake, but Lewis thought he knew better than the team. His first set would only have got to the end of the race at a very slow pace - see Ocon's final 5-10laps. The team shouldn't have left the pit stop so late, as they knew the inter had to burn off the tread, then go through the graining phase, then be re-born as hot semi-slicks. The lap he finally pitted was too close to the end of the race to come out the other side of these phases in better shape. Red Bull got the timing just right - both Lewis and Mercedes got the timing wrong. They should have trusted the race simulation computer and pitted when Red Bull did. Driver doesn't always make the best decision - he doesn't have all the info...
Well done Bottas!

Good race analysis....and yes Merc was too late on the Pit call, regardless this was a damage limitation race for Lewis.

US GP next a race track that he is always good at. and suit the Merc package best.

Bram

Happy for Botox...I like his calm matter of fact demeanor. ON to circuit of the Hamilton's...

He’s been very professional about being a good “teammate “, not many would take that same approach. He understood going in he’s #2 and the team is more important than him.

Maybe we will see a different side as #1 at Alfa...

Am I the only one who thinks Bottas is an exceptionally talented driver when he is alone on the track or way in front of everybody. But....a driver who loses most of his skills when in the mix with other cars?

Back