• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where's the bottom

Not seeing Silver lining

If they can just move the rest of these models and 2018 becomes more limited production were in an even better spot.

That is a big "IF", how does that work, even if they were to sell every remaining car out there today, and 2018 becomes a "special order" (not displayed on showroom floor, please let me know how this will work) how would that translate into demand? Would that also translate into all of a sudden every super car buyer is going to have to have one, knowing full well the 17's were priced incorrectly, will they in fact pay msrp on 18's of $170K plus (if Acura were to adjust msrp)? I do not see the silver lining in this, the NSX as it currently sits is not perceived as a super car and the market past and present reflects this. If the NSX is to survive going forward it will have to be better in every category from fit/ finish to options to performance and lastly pricing structure....JM2C

P.S
I am aggressively searching for a 130R White with 2 options (Silver and Black are options too) and there are (6) dealers out there with inventory sitting on their floor for nearly 10 months still thinking they will hit the home run (read not willing to accept market reality :confused:).FWIW

Last edited:
I am aggressively searching for a 130R White . . ..

That is what I have with the Carbon roof and exterior and interior bits. Just a great combo. The Blue in person is really striking. I like the Nord Gray in person. Little trivia for you. Each color represents a famous circuit corner. 130R is Suzuka’s most famous corner, a 130-meter-radius left-hander toward the end of the lap and one of the fastest corners in the world. It was re-profiled in 2003, but retained the name.

That is a big "IF", how does that work, even if they were to sell every remaining car out there today, and 2018 becomes a "special order" (not displayed on showroom floor, please let me know how this will work) how would that translate into demand? Would that also translate into all of a sudden every super car buyer is going to have to have one, knowing full well the 17's were priced incorrectly, will they in fact pay msrp on 18's of $170K plus (if Acura were to adjust msrp)? I do not see the silver lining in this, the NSX as it currently sits is not perceived as a super car and the market past and present reflects this. If the NSX is to survive going forward it will have to be better in every category from fit/ finish to options to performance and lastly pricing structure....JM2C

porsche37 seems to be quite the optimist, even while already freaking out over the rattley driver's door in his one week old car. the other 99% agree with you, this car isn't making a miraculous comeback from failure to triumph...

The biggest quirk with the NSX is perception. The first gen and clearly second gen has never truly fitted in an established mold built by the industry or defined by enthusiasts. So it's always been a love or hate it reaction by people who presume to know cars as it never tried to fit in a particular category.

It's a question of whether or not Honda wants to continue refining the car. The first gen didn't make Honda loads of money with the long, slow selling 15 year production. This car is likely not to do it either, but it's a matter of pride at this point. It would be embarrassing if they suddenly pulled the plug so I don't think they will. Luckily for Honda this time is that it's easier for them to make incremental improvements to power and other components to keep it competitive over the next few years.

It would only be a failure if Honda pulls out the game sooner rather than later...

We all know how they failed at getting the car to market. However, with more now being on the streets as a result of the recent price adjustment, I'm optimistic that it will help the longetivity of the current car.

how was the resale on the rs?

porsche37 seems to be quite the optimist, even while already freaking out over the rattley driver's door in his one week old car. the other 99% agree with you, this car isn't making a miraculous comeback from failure to triumph...

Not freaking out anymore Acura has great service and are handling the situation. they offered to flat bed the car from my house and leave me a loaner I would not let this deter any of you from buying this car amazing machine.

The biggest quirk with the NSX is perception. The first gen and clearly second gen has never truly fitted in an established mold built by the industry or defined by enthusiasts. So it's always been a love or hate it reaction by people who presume to know cars as it never tried to fit in a particular category.

It's a question of whether or not Honda wants to continue refining the car. The first gen didn't make Honda loads of money with the long, slow selling 15 year production. This car is likely not to do it either, but it's a matter of pride at this point. It would be embarrassing if they suddenly pulled the plug so I don't think they will. Luckily for Honda this time is that it's easier for them to make incremental improvements to power and other components to keep it competitive over the next few years.

It would only be a failure if Honda pulls out the game sooner rather than later...
Agree. The worse thing to do would be to withdraw.

I hope Acura finds that "IT" factor that distinguishes the NSX. Even the LFA has that amazing sound if nothing else... I can't think of any one thing the NSX is revered for. It's mediocre at everything even it's price point. I had hoped that the SH-AWD Hybrid would be a huge game changer... It appears not to be the case. I suppose trying to be good at everything (i.e. everyday supercar) forces it to be mediocre at all things. The first gen had the same problem. I'd love to see the Civic Type R development team take over and build an NSX-R. They seem to have done something right as it is a car that is widely accepted despite perceived flaws like the FWD architecture.

Dropping the price is a step in the right direction but they're running of bullets in the chamber if they don't double down and reload soon.

Last edited:
Dropping the price will generate some sales, but overall perception on the new NSX tells me it must have been
greed by the manufacturer, dealers & flippers.

How do the first MSRP buyers feel about $30K trunk money a few months after purchase?
You could maybe justify a $5K back but $30K...no way!

Good new travels fast - bad news, even faster.

It would only be a failure if Honda pulls out of the game sooner rather than later...

but the first NSX sold 3200 cars (in America) in year one. and it was heralded as a revelation, a game changer. i don't think anyone was commenting on its sales at the time, or considering it a failure on any level.

i'll definitely agree, a decade later Honda left that car out to dry, which was a huge mistake. but the original NSX definitely wasn't a sales failure initially. this one undeniably is...

How do the first MSRP buyers feel about $30K trunk money a few months after purchase?
You could maybe justify a $5K back but $30K...no way!

Good new travels fast - bad news, even faster.

i can't see the perception by the masses of this NSX turning around at this point. first impressions are very hard to overcome. and second year models are identical to the first, so how are you going to change anyone's mind with the same product?

I hope Acura finds that "IT" factor that distinguishes the NSX. Even the LFA has that amazing sound if nothing else... I can't think of any one thing the NSX is revered for. It's mediocre at everything even it's price point. I had hoped that the SH-AWD Hybrid would be a huge game changer... It appears not to be the case. I suppose trying to be good at everything (i.e. everyday supercar) forces it to be mediocre at all things. The first gen had the same problem. I'd love to see the Civic Type R development team take over and build an NSX-R. They seem to have done something right as it is a car that is widely accepted despite perceived flaws like the FWD architecture.

all excellent points. in my opinion, you don't want your prized flagship model to be known primarily as "the budget Supercar" or "a great deal at $130,000" compared to the others. most of the talk these days is of the car finding it's legs $50,000+ below where Acura tried to sell it. this is just not something to be proud of, especially coming from an honour based culture such as Japan.

i think spicing the NSX up in the same way as what they've done with the Civic Type R (maybe without all the crazy aero wings? :biggrin:) would be a step in the right direction for sure. it needs a healthy dose of adrenaline to be taken seriously. i don't think "30% off sales" are what Acura/Honda had in mind with this car...

there are similar discounts on the 2017 R8 right now as well as much better leasing numbers , so its not just the NSX. Again anyone who has bought a few supercars knows these discounts are very common especially at the end of the year.

Also Acura is listing the NSX 0-60 at 2.7 seconds officially on their site. All these comments about lack of performance are from bitter Gen 1 owners.

there are similar discounts on the 2017 R8 right now as well as much better leasing numbers , so its not just the NSX. Again anyone who has bought a few supercars knows these discounts are very common especially at the end of the year.

Also Acura is listing the NSX 0-60 at 2.7 seconds officially on their site. All these comments about lack of performance are from bitter Gen 1 owners.
fast car is a fast car. its doesn't do it with the flair/emotion (attention whore?) of a huracan.

acura is still learning about leasing. they're slowly realizing that leasing is an easy way to sell cars.

R8 is seeing about 10% on the remaining 2017s. They are not selling well either but false to say discounts are similar to the nsx or I would have one in my garage.

0-60 means little without the excitement. I have a gen 1 and I’ve been looking at the R8, 911 gt3, huracan and 458. Exactly the buyer Honda needed. Sorry but the discounts still aren’t enough for me to stay with the nsx. It just doesn’t excite me like the competition. As someone said, it is mediocre in everything.

R8 is seeing about 10% on the remaining 2017s. They are not selling well either but false to say discounts are similar to the nsx or I would have one in my garage.

0-60 means little without the excitement. I have a gen 1 and I’ve been looking at the R8, 911 gt3, huracan and 458. Exactly the buyer Honda needed. Sorry but the discounts still aren’t enough for me to stay with the nsx. It just doesn’t excite me like the competition. As someone said, it is mediocre in everything.

Absolutely not false . seriously I don't know what I am talking about after I posted and helped at least 2 people on this forum get the new NSX with numbers? You dont think I was cross shopping the R8 and NSX and are aware of discounts on the new R8?

find another dealer. 10% is were you start it gets a lot better from there. The R8 also has some crazy good lease numbers

I have had an R8 in my garage now I have an NSX

Last edited:
Absolutely not false . seriously I don't know what I am talking about after I posted and helped at least 2 people on this forum get the new NSX with numbers? You dont think I was cross shopping the R8 and NSX and are aware of discounts on the new R8?

find another dealer. 10% is were you start it gets a lot better from there. The R8 also has some crazy good lease numbers

I have had an R8 in my garage now I have an NSX

You find me a 200k Plus with 45k discount and I will stand corrected. 10% is with no effort. I know there is some room but if you are saying 20% and higher I’m all ears.

You find me a 200k Plus with 45k discount and I will stand corrected. 10% is with no effort. I know there is some room but if you are saying 20% and higher I’m all ears.

$206,300 MSRP and I got more than $45k off sticker. Correction applied.

Thats what I'm saying on the R8.

There were 170 new 2017 R8's as of 2 weeks ago now they are at 155. Why discounts. They cannot sell them anywhere near full price its simple supply and demand. The new design is not well liked not selling.

10% discount was standard at the beginning of the year right now thats not the case. Fire sale in December.

Also like I keep saying killer lease deals and residuals on the R8 but you will have to do your research try looking in other states.

I will say it again though the new NSX is twice the car the R8 is. Every mode in the NSX completely changes the car like you swapped suspension and diff's amazing what the software on the car can do absolutely nothing like it.

Last edited:
Am i missing something? Why all the love for R8? I have never driven one but for not much more the lambo equivalent looks like it costs $1 million more

We've had (x3) Gen1 R8's all were 6-speed gated shifter cars. Amazing rides and one of Audi's last "great" cars. The big differentiator was the 6-speed gated shifter which is sadly a lost art form nowadays. Been tempted to go back to a Porsche GT3 because it's the ONLY company that offers a manual transmission.

We currently have a Gen1 NSX and also a Huracan. The two cars cannot be more opposite from each other. The new generation Huracan is really an everyday super car if you can live with:

a) Non-supportive seats that are good for roughly 100 miles or 2 hours whichever comes first

b) Tiny (F)runk that can hold about one duffel bag

c) In your face exhaust note and styling that is very aggressive and turns heads everywhere ~ even grandma's wave and smile when they see this car! Great for car shows and meets but horrible if you want to daily drive the car. Wife only drove it once and won't drive it again.

d) It's a very rude car in how it does things. The car is brash, loud, obnoxious and farts, pops, and downshifts with aggression in it's more sporty modes. When the car shifts or comes to a stoplight, it just begs to be raced by whoever happens to park next to it.

In comparison we've driven the Ferrari 458, 488, Mclaren and those cars believe it or not are quite a bit more civilized. The Ferrari has awesome seats!

The new NSX 2.0 can be sport if put into track mode but if you keep it in regular modes, the car is as quiet as a Camry but with the take-off power of a Tesla. It's really a jack of all trades type of car. If we had to grab the keys to a car to drive cross country, we would not hesitate to grab the keys to the NSX. NEVER would I be caught driving the Huracan more than a few hours, no kidding.

here's our Huracan with our full dry carbon aero kit and their Race exhaust

We call this the FUN button:

Hard to believe nearly 15 years separates these two cars:

I will say it again though the new NSX is twice the car the R8 is. Every mode in the NSX completely changes the car like you swapped suspension and diff's amazing what the software on the car can do absolutely nothing like it.

first of all, from the sales numbers that have been posted on these very forums, the R8 has been outselling the NSX every month by 2 or 3 times. easily outpacing it.

secondly, the NSX doesn't get to 60 mph in under 3 seconds. it's been tested hundreds of times, it doesn't do it. that's just fact.

and lastly, the NSX is not twice the car the Audi is.

i'm certain your optimism and infatuation with the new NSX is appreciated, but you're way off on your talking points. don't get me wrong, the NSX is an excellent car. but so are the Porsche 911's, the R8, the McLaren's, the Lamborghini Huracan models, the mid-engined Ferrari's, etc. and unfortunately in comparison, the NSX is nearer the bottom than the top in performance, desire, and obviously sales...

Am i missing something? Why all the love for R8? I have never driven one but for not much more the lambo equivalent looks like it costs $1 million more

because it's an incredible car. but i fully agree with you, the Huracan is a vastly more engaging experience. while they share the same drive train, the Lambo is much more visceral..

Back