• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So really... What are your choices in the NC1 price range?

wow! absolutely gorgeous. I know most like the updated corporate look of the 650S and after but I have a soft spot for the simplicity of the 12C front end.

I have 4 Mac dealers that triangulate me. Mac San Francisco, Mac Beverly Hills, Mac Newport Beach, and Mac Las Vegas (I think there was one there). Closest one is still about 100 miles away however.

I think the point of buying a 12C is to not have to visit Mac dealers unless you really have to. The point would be to work on them mostly myself or seek help from the independents.

100% know what you mean about just having it easy with having someone else work on your car nearby. That convenience is not to be discounted. My NA1 NSX has been that happy balance of it not always breaking down but also easy enough to tinker with in my garage. It's one of the few reasons i've kept it for so long. The new NC1 might be that way for me too. I know I'd like to get into the JB4 tune myself. Just the scanner alone for a McLaren is so damn expensive but i'm looking at local shops that's starting to support the platform.

MMC = Mid-Model Change

Most car companies refresh the model about halfway through its design cycle. Honda pretty reliably sticks to about a 3-5 year MMC schedule, depending on the life cycle of that model generation. For the NC1, 2017+5 = 2022. :D
OK [MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION]. Spill it! What do you know... ?

Like with many NC1 threads we tend to go off topic haha. Let me continue this trend.

For the MMC i'd like to see two changes.
1. Significant updates to the interior
2. Consider a swap of the 1kwh Lith-Ion battery to perhaps high output, quick recharge/discharge capacitors in place of the battery.

I see blue Mclarans....

Would 2022 be a an announcement or a release date you think? All the speculation of the MMC is making me hold off on the NC1. :confused:

MMC = Mid-Model Change

Most car companies refresh the model about halfway through its design cycle. Honda pretty reliably sticks to about a 3-5 year MMC schedule, depending on the life cycle of that model generation. For the NC1, 2017+5 = 2022. :D

Not quite NC2 for [MENTION=4282]docjohn[/MENTION].

NC2 would be a FMC (or Full Model Change) :D

Honda needs to decide whether to continue the ICE before they commit to a FMC for the NSX, which is part of the major internal discussions there right now (not the NSX, but the ICE generally). Unlike Ford, GM, VW and others, Honda got caught a bit flat-footed with the explosion in electric car demand. Given their R&D spend in hydrogen over the last 15 years, it's possible the NC2 could be a high-performance fuel-cell/electric technology demonstrator, much like the NC1 was for hybrid. I suppose if they decide not to do a NC2, they will just keep making the NC1 (kind of like the NA2) until the ICE is phased out of the product line. The hybrid system should keep them ahead of the regulatory issues for at least another 5-10 years.

OK [MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION]. Spill it! What do you know... ?

Like with many NC1 threads we tend to go off topic haha. Let me continue this trend.

For the MMC i'd like to see two changes.
1. Significant updates to the interior
2. Consider a swap of the 1kwh Lith-Ion battery to perhaps high output, quick recharge/discharge capacitors in place of the battery.

My best "guess" ;)

• Lighter e-motors
  • Bump in ICE power (possibly larger turbos)
  • Total HP 600+
  • Exterior tweaks to align with 2022MY Acura line (nothing major)
  • Infotainment refresh
  • Some weight reduction, possibly for a Type-S trim level

Announcement late 2021.

Also, Type R rumors are starting to swirl again. This time of the "street legal GT3" variety. Who knows? ...

I think McLaren took a long look at the 12C when designing the GT...

I guess I'm missing the McLaren gene. Their designs are very "meh" to me, and that blue color is about as boring to me as blue can be. I do know not everyone shares my viewpoint, however!

I guess I'm missing the McLaren gene. Their designs are very "meh" to me, and that blue color is about as boring to me as blue can be. I do know not everyone shares my viewpoint, however!

It's not just you. I feel the same way. The designs are "meh" but the performance is real.

It's not just you. I feel the same way. The designs are "meh" but the performance is real.

Agreed on that! I'd just rather have slightly less performance in a package that's actually attractive and built to last, and from a company that doesn't ooze disdain for their customers at every level.

Let's assume you have $130k-$180k burning a hole in your pocket. I assume this is more or less the price range of an average NC1 new or slightly used highly optioned spec today. I did a quick online search for other cars in the price range. Here's what I got. Which others am I missing?

Mercedes GTR (used), 4 dr. AMG GT 63, AMG G Class, etc
Porsche 911s (in various trims, but not the models we would want like the TT or GTs)
Porsche Taycan, Panamera Turbo or even a Cayenne Turbo
McLaren 570S or 650S (used with maybe at least 5k miles)
Bentley Continental (an older one)
Rolls Royce Wraith (an older one)
Ferrari California
BMW M models (the higher end new ones like the M8)
Audi R8 V10
Tesla S Plaid+
Maserati Levante Turbo
Aston Martin Vantage

You can barely buy a used 2018 911 Carrera GTS for <$140k. Those GTs really hold their prices.

To me the R8 V10 and the 570S, and perhaps a used GTR are the only ones that make sense in the price point. NC1 still seems like a great deal given the competition.

Great thread! As an active shopper at this price albeit in the great north (Canada), this really resonates with me. I have driven and looked at the following:

570S - Had one for half a day. Loved the throttle response and the handling. Not a big fan of the bug like front and the rear. The styling just doesn't do it for me. Mclaren in Toronto is selling used ones as CPO and there is an option to extend the warranty as well. The carbon tub is always a great sight to jump into.
991.2 C4S - This was surprisingly a fun car than I expected. Had this for a day from the local Porsche dealer. Fully loaded with the sports chrono package. The back seats are a huge plus for me as I have two little ones and they both love fast cars! In terms of holding value, reliability and some practicality you can't just beat a mid-level 911 like the C4S or a GTS. No wonder they sell so fast and good ones are hard to get hold of.
992 C4S - For the money I'd stick with the last generation. The 8 speed PDK was even better than the 7 speed. Porsche knows how to make transmissions. The interior looks cheaper than the last generation and that woman shaver of a shifter is super annoying! Oh and you can't seem to see the fuel gauge without tilting your head, very annoying.
458 - This is my top choice. Only got to drive one for 30 mins and it was by far the most engaging experience. Ferrari just knows how to give you goose bumps. Exhaust sound, steering feel, visibility, looks, all check off! Surprisingly they're reliable as well. Since the 458, Ferrari has been including the 7 year maintenance in the price so the owners are compelled to go to the dealers so they stay reliable within the first 7 years anyways. Really hard to find clean ones with low mileage. This will be a classic for the future!
R8 V10/Plus - Drove the plus and having that screaming V10 in the back was a surreal experience. Reliability is there as well and Audi is offering (at least in Canada) really good extended warranty as they are standing behind their product. The styling looks dated to me and I still think it looks the same as it did when it came out 13 years ago.
NC1 - As a long time Honda fan, this was my top choice, but after keeping one for the weekend via an exotic car rental, I am not sure I would be excited by it after 2-3 months of ownership. Also after researching, the reliability of a NC1 is not that much greater than the competition as it was when the NA1 came out. That was night and day. Competitors have caught up and even the Italians are reliable now if taken care of. Plus the NC1 is not a simple drive train so if anything does break out of warranty, good luck getting it fixed cheaply. Love the acceleration, love the looks, love the rarity but that excitement you get with the V10 R8 or the 458 is unmatched. Practicality, the Porsche takes it so the NC1 is left trying to find its place in this ultra competitive landscape. I would still buy one if I can find one with the right spec and the right price as I just love Honda products and it would go nicely with my family hauler the MDX! :smile:

Last edited:
You, sir are on my wavelength. Those are my top contenders as well. I'm also throwing a wild card in the bunch - a sorted 12C. I like to tinker on these cars. It's part of the fun for me and while a warranty is preferred at these price ranges, I could see getting into a 12C with cash on the side for a rainy day.

Better have a lot of cash on the side ...

NC2 would be a FMC (or Full Model Change) :D

Honda needs to decide whether to continue the ICE before they commit to a FMC for the NSX, which is part of the major internal discussions there right now (not the NSX, but the ICE generally). Unlike Ford, GM, VW and others, Honda got caught a bit flat-footed with the explosion in electric car demand. Given their R&D spend in hydrogen over the last 15 years, it's possible the NC2 could be a high-performance fuel-cell/electric technology demonstrator, much like the NC1 was for hybrid. I suppose if they decide not to do a NC2, they will just keep making the NC1 (kind of like the NA2) until the ICE is phased out of the product line. The hybrid system should keep them ahead of the regulatory issues for at least another 5-10 years.

No on a fuel cell/electric car. The technology is not here yet. All the fuel cell cars that are around are electric cars. The fuel cell produces the electricity and the electric motors the propulsion.

Honda could reduce the weight and improve the front electric motors. Increasing the horsepower is not their first priority. Refinement is what they are likely to pursue. so some changes in the front and possibly the rear. The interior could also get improvements. I know all want another 150 hp. I just don’t see that happening. It is good to dream.....

No, not warranty for seven years but maintenance for seven years.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. Most of them would be out of that 7yr period anyway. I was thinking more along the lines of owners having had ample time to sort out their cars with a 7yr warranty behind them but that's a moot point. 12C's had this happen with most owners experience early problems with transmission and LCD display issues. Assumably it would be more wise to buy a used 12C with relatively high miles but a lengthy warranty period with repair records. I'd rather buy that example than a low miles "no issues" mclaren.

That reminds me... I need to read up on if Honda decided to add an extended warranty program for the NC1

Honcho's guess seem to align with this article a few months back. I guess we'll see around October 2021. I presume Acura probably won't offer $20K on the updated model and rumored to be $200K +

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/next-year-acura-could-grace-the-world-with-an-nsx-spider-and-nsx-type-r-ar189574.html

https://hondacarmodels.com/2022-acura-nsx-type-r/

My best "guess" ;)

• Lighter e-motors
  • Bump in ICE power (possibly larger turbos)
  • Total HP 600+
  • Exterior tweaks to align with 2022MY Acura line (nothing major)
  • Infotainment refresh
  • Some weight reduction, possibly for a Type-S trim level

Announcement late 2021.

Also, Type R rumors are starting to swirl again. This time of the "street legal GT3" variety. Who knows? ...

Last edited:
Back