• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2021 F1 thread....

yup...The first big one between the two was on lap 37 when, slipstreaming Verstappen into Turn 1 and using DRS, Hamilton had the better pace. He tried around the outside, both drivers off the track with Verstappen holding onto the lead and gaining metres.

Told to give the position to Hamilton or risk a penalty, Verstappen slowed so Hamilton could pass him but instead the Briton also slowed. Verstappen then braked, said to be a 2.4G stop and, second big incident, Hamilton hit the back of him.

Verstappen was given a five-second penalty for the first moment, and later a 10-second for the latter, deemed to have been driving erratically. Fair play to the first, the second though I don’t agree.

Planet F1...

https://www.planetf1.com/news/planetf1-verdict-saudi-arabian-gp/

Bram

Last edited:
Max has let himself down - he made a great overtake down the inside on one of the many restarts, then seriously blotted his reputation by not giving the place he took off the track back in a safe manner.
Lewis was right to be wary of passing Max, especially as he hadn't been told that that was what was going on.
The track design is just a bit too tight - where Perez tangled with LeClerc the pinch is too severe.
The rule for red flag tyre changes needs to be reviewed - drivers should only be able to swap tyres if they have been damaged in the incident that caused the red flag or from the resultant debris, not otherwise.
Well done to Bottas for getting on the podium - shame for Ocon though.
As for the rest of the race, it was hard to tell who else was doing what, as the coverage was far too focussed on the Max & Lewis show - I hardly saw Danny Ric or the other points scorers at all!
Seb should have been pitted by Aston Martin earlier, as his damaged car left numerous chunks of carbon fibre all round the circuit from various contacts, especially with his mate Kimi.
George and Nikita's coming together was scary - fortunately they weren't injured.

Looking forward to a clean fight next weekend!

I think VER should have been given a black flag for his dangerous brake check. Seriously poor driving at this level. It was a totally desperate move to make HAM pass him before the DRS line.
Rules need to change in that sort of scenario.
Liked Verstappen's move down the inside on the second(?!) restart, caught HAM napping for sure.

Here's hoping for a clean title decider.

F1 is a publicly traded company now. What does the average spectator want.......exactly this. The educated connoisseur like us want something in the middle. I have coworkers who are now watching because of the battle.The Netflix show helped also.They saw the opportunity to have the Saudi race on a new track because the $ were there....lets combine the precision of Monaco with the speed of Monza.......wtf....

it is teetering towards nascar but at the quantum scale of tech....

.also didn't hamo get the call late that he was given the place back...and why after the aborted attempt did maxipad speed off...like the "give up the spot you gained by racing off the track" has a 3 second expiration date.....cmon maxi.....

....and how about hamo fastest lap with a compromised front wing...the man has quite the feel for that car....

F1 is a publicly traded company now. What does the average spectator want.......exactly this. The educated connoisseur like us want something in the middle. I have coworkers who are now watching because of the battle.The Netflix show helped also.They saw the opportunity to have the Saudi race on a new track because the $ were there....lets combine the precision of Monaco with the speed of Monza.......wtf....

So was CART. I remember the CART CEO a talking about his responsibility to the shareholders about the time of the CART / Indy Car split. Where is CART now?

If F1 implodes in 5 years, will Bernie E buy it back again?

From a purely business standpoint, I'm very impressed with how Liberty Media has been managing F1 since purchasing. The Netflix deal was genius. They're also managing the socials very well. For example, the buildup of animosity to the Verstappen vs Hammy "war" post Saudi GP was milked like crazy on the socials. Then I just watched their pre-race interview with both drivers for Yas Marina and it was all children and teddy bears as if they knew they needed to reel back down the toxicity. This is becoming a very well directed soap opera. How long will it last before the fans get sick of the drama? I'm feeling the onset of cavities.

So was CART. I remember the CART CEO a talking about his responsibility to the shareholders about the time of the CART / Indy Car split. Where is CART now?

If F1 implodes in 5 years, will Bernie E buy it back again?

Perhaps, Bernie will buy it back from Liberty, but he'll be 105 by then.

Liberty turned F1 into Cart/Indy/Nascar circus with some of the stupid things they tried in the past few years...however, they have gotten more Americans interested the the Sport, and with Miami now on the card for next year it should grow more.

Bram

still working for WWE....;)

Perhaps, Bernie will buy it back from Liberty, but he'll be 105 by then.

Liberty turned F1 into Cart/Indy/Nascar circus with some of the stupid things they tried in the past few years...however, they have gotten more Americans interested the the Sport, and with Miami now on the card for next year it should grow more.

Bram
I never got into Nascar. I stopped watching Indy after Rick Mears. Cart has been hot and cold for me. So I never got the see the drama cultivation from Liberty. However, I can easily see this turning out badly for F1. The driver's are starting to become caricatures of themselves.

some of the pre race staged driver antics with Sky are cringe worthy.....I did like the bro chemistry of Lando and carlos...They need to thread the needle of scripting vs entropy of F1

I never got into Nascar. I stopped watching Indy after Rick Mears. Cart has been hot and cold for me. So I never got the see the drama cultivation from Liberty. However, I can easily see this turning out badly for F1. The driver's are starting to become caricatures of themselves.

I grew up watching CART with my dad in the 80's. Even went to the races at the Glen every summer. We worshipped at the altar of Andretti because he was Italian like us. :) The Indy 500 was basically a family holiday for us- nothing happened on that day and we watched the race intently. We were not a F1 family, we were a CART family. All I heard/knew about F1 was from my dad: "Michael [Andretti] wasn't good enough for F1." But it wasn't really televised back then, and the time difference, etc.

I stopped watching altogether after the IRL/CART split. I was devastated and the IRL racing that followed just sucked. About that time, I got into Nascar because one of my college roommates was from Georgia and was crazy for it. He put it on every Sunday and we would watch while recovering from Saturday night partying. I followed Mike Skinner in the Lowes car. The big ovals were fun and the wrecks and the drama. But, I didn't keep it up and stopped watching after college.

I started with F1 around the time Schumacher retired, since when I tried to watch before, it was basically a parade race where Michael won every time... for years. So boring. I followed the BAR/Honda team and was cheering loudly when Jenson (a NSX owner) won in 09. I kept up for a while but now that the kids are older, there just isn't time to watch anymore. Besides, I've griped about the racing in other posts. There is too much emphasis on aero and the cars are "flown" around the track by an army of engineers sitting in a mission control. I think they're adding the drama with Max and the risky driving to bring the action back, but it won't work. I wish they would go back to the turbo era of the mid-80's. Those were real cars with real drivers. The only modern driver who could manage those today without killing himself is Kimi. Now, drivers complain that the track is too dangerous so the FIA demolishes corners and re-paves them. Didn't it used to be that the drivers had to use their skills to adapt to different tracks?

I sound like and old man. Wait...I am one now.

""FIA race director Michael Masi has warned #F1 title rivals Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton that they could be hit with a points deduction if they drive unfairly in the title decider."

That's good if true....

Personally they should save all the entertainment tonight style for formula E...;)

Back