• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2011 F1 Thread....Now That 2010 is Over

Ted,
as Ferrari give up of this years car(month ago) it would be hard for Alonso to defense even 3. place.:frown:
Not so great moves from Lewis and Michael in overtakes.I expected more from this race something missed maybe rain!

Death to the Williams drivers!!!!

How dare you hold up my boy Jenson towards the final laps when he's closing in on Vettel. All in all, Singapore was a little bit procession like; aside from the final 5-6 laps and some entertaining moments sprinkled along during the race, it was a snooze-fest. Congrats to Vettel & RBR, just wish McLaren was more competitive so that Jenson could really take the fight to them.

Of course I loved watching Jenson do well (can't say enough about his performance this season) but I also think Lewis did a great job even after the incident w/Massa & the penalty. Someone please get di Resta into a better car. It's no secret he's good but he really has the potential IMO, to be battling it out with the big boys.

P.S. Ted - I would like to be wined and dined this time around. There are some great steak places here in OC that I can recommend. Jenson's 2nd in the drivers standings. Are you getting a little nervous?

Just how did Seb gain so many seconds per lap over Jenson in the first stint? Was he really on a better racing line, so it was a driver's contribution? Or was his car that much stickier around the track? Those opening laps were just amazing performance from Seb.

Maybe Jenson was taking it safe, preferring to run in clean air instead of going for the challenge right away. Passing Seb on full fuel load is risky, especially when he was driving a technically inferior car. If he had tried and failed, that would look double-bad.

Last edited:
What's the deal with restarts in F1!? The gap is huge, Vettel was already some 20+ car lengths ahead and JB lost close to 5 seconds by the restart flag!

Funny how MS claims it was a racing accident. I didn't care much for his sportsmanship before, but he lost pretty much all respect in the last race with his blocking .....

Massa's "assault" of Hamilton is much ado about nothing. If you could only comprehend the amount of energy and mental expenditure to do such a race, and then factor in the emotional highs and lows as well, I though Massa's sarcastic passing interlude amusing. Let's all move on onto more important things................

And when is RBR going to get on top of Webber's starts?? All good to blame the driver but he's not exactly an also ran. What ever gives with the system it needs fixing, as last year he had reasonable starts!

Actually Webber is driving really well in the races this year, it must be all the practice he is getting of passing cars due to his bad starts. Of course Monza was a low, had brain fade expecting Massa to give him room like Button or Alonso would do. :biggrin:

I loved Ham's icy radio message to his crew during the race:

"Can somebody tell me what's going on, what I'm racing for, and how far the next car is in front of me?"

He sounded like a serial killer lol. When you have to ask the crew to tell you what you're even racing for, it's not a good sign.

Meanwhile my boy Jenson is looking great. Dammit Rubens, you should have let him by! The gap to Seabass at the end was only 1.7.

Re: Yeah, not looking good for Fred

P.S. Ted - I would like to be wined and dined this time around. There are some great steak places here in OC that I can recommend. Jenson's 2nd in the drivers standings. Are you getting a little nervous?
Yeah the momentum is not going my way. But there's only a point or 2 between he, Butt and Webb. So............if Butt has a little bad luck in a couple of races while Fred stays out of trouble and continues to finish 3rd or 4th, that only leaves Webb. And I'm pretty sure Webb's crew will continue to cost him time not only on the starts but in the pits, so Fred could still pull it off even with a car that's falling behind. If he was challenging Seb, I be talking sabotage, but that's not the case, :confused: so I guess it's just some incompetence in setting the clutch for the start and practicing pit stops.

Must be getting boring for Seb. I didn't see but maybe 5 minutes when he was in traffic or had to do anything but drive around.

And as far as that restart, he's so quick he pulls an embarrassing distance on Fred, Butt or Fred, so pulling out several seconds on Lotus was taking candy from a baby. Not fair to Butt, that's for sure, but that's the way it goes with the backmarkers not getting the wave around.

Re: Yeah, not looking good for Fred

Yeah the momentum is not going my way. But there's only a point or 2 between he, Butt and Webb. So............if Butt has a little bad luck in a couple of races while Fred stays out of trouble and continues to finish 3rd or 4th, that only leaves Webb. And I'm pretty sure Webb's crew will continue to cost him time not only on the starts but in the pits, so Fred could still pull it off even with a car that's falling behind. If he was challenging Seb, I be talking sabotage, but that's not the case, :confused: so I guess it's just some incompetence in setting the clutch for the start and practicing pit stops.

Must be getting boring for Seb. I didn't see but maybe 5 minutes when he was in traffic or had to do anything but drive around.

And as far as that restart, he's so quick he pulls an embarrassing distance on Fred, Butt or Fred, so pulling out several seconds on Lotus was taking candy from a baby. Not fair to Butt, that's for sure, but that's the way it goes with the backmarkers not getting the wave around.

Ferrari is going to use the last 5 races as a pre-winter testing session for 2012. You better be praying to the Prancing Horse Gods that they make some improvements or else Fernando has no chance of coming 2nd.

It's a good move on their part, bad for you though. I wouldn't even mind McLaren doing the same so that next years car is competitive but they might be too dumb to realize it.

I loved Ham's icy radio message to his crew during the race:

"Can somebody tell me what's going on, what I'm racing for, and how far the next car is in front of me?"

He sounded like a serial killer lol. When you have to ask the crew to tell you what you're even racing for, it's not a good sign.

Meanwhile my boy Jenson is looking great. Dammit Rubens, you should have let him by! The gap to Seabass at the end was only 1.7.

He should ask Jenson that question.

Again Jenson displayed what a good racer is about. Just do the job to the best of his ability. Don't cry, don't complaint publicly, and keep his attitude positive. With that, if his team is not providing the ride to win, someone else will.

Last edited:
Jenson is providing a very good lesson to Hamilton, but he is not as much fun to watch. It will be interesting to know how much Jenson will earn at McLaren next year. Then, Hamilton will know if he is likely to get the boot or not. In any scenario, it's likely that a few top teams may be happy to have Lewis. I would even dare to believe that most of the current drivers share a similiar sentiment. With Hamiltons recent performance, his driving is indeed questionable. He mostly manages to outqualify Button but, can't seem to bring home the points. Well I suppose every driver will have a bad year or two. I can understand many as to why they don't like Hamiltons driving. However, many said the same of Senna. I am one of those who consider Senna one of the best who had ever done it, sitting in the same circle as Fangio or Moss. Thats my 00.2 cents.

Last edited:
near the end of the race webber was about 5-6 seconds behind button..but then he was 10 seconds in one lap,did he get stuck behind some backmarkers as well.The speed guys did'nt talk about it,they were so busy discussing JB eating into Seb.

A bit late on this discussion but that thing that annoyed me was how Vettel was told to keep x amount of car lengths from the safety car as a reminder so to not get a drive through like in a previous race, but about 3 or so corners before the pits he backed up the pack and must have been like 100-200 meters from the safety car (hard to tell but the safety car was nowhere in sight) before he then accelerated through the last few corners.

He didn't get a drive through for that.

A bit late on this discussion but that thing that annoyed me was how Vettel was told to keep x amount of car lengths from the safety car as a reminder so to not get a drive through like in a previous race, but about 3 or so corners before the pits he backed up the pack and must have been like 100-200 meters from the safety car (hard to tell but the safety car was nowhere in sight) before he then accelerated through the last few corners.

He didn't get a drive through for that.

Once the Safety Car lights go out, the lead driver determines the pace of the race cars. Vettel did the right thing in giving himself some room so that he could charge the last few corners and get some heat in his tyres without passing the Safety Car before it pulled off the track. Most of the other drivers were asleep, again. Check out the gaps between the cars, the fast drivers should have been shadows of the car in front of them.

Massa told to 'destroy' Hamilton

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/7219553/Massa-Told-By-Rob-To-Destroy-Lewis

The furore over the Singapore GP is refusing to die down with fresh reports revealing that Felipe Massa was told to "destroy" Lewis Hamilton's race.

Hamilton and Massa had yet another coming together at the Marina Bay circuit two weeks ago when Hamilton drove into the back of Massa's Ferrari.

The accident left Massa with a right rear puncture and Hamilton with a broken front wing and a drive-through penalty.

But it now seems there is more to the story as instead of racing for the victory and the points, it would seem Massa's goal for the Singapore GP was to ruin Hamilton's race.

In the official video edit of the race on formula1.com, it is clear that Massa was told of this ahead of their lap 12 incident.

Speaking over the radio to the Brazilian, Massa's race engineer Rob Smedley said: "Hold Hamilton as much as we can.

"Destroy his race as much as we can. Come on boy!"

Which makes it rather ironic that after the grand prix an angry Massa confronted Hamilton while he was giving a post-race interview to Dutch TV.

And still even more strange that Massa, with the goal of slowing Hamilton down, accused the McLaren driver of not using "his mind" and potentially causing "a big accident."

Hamilton is set to face his rivals in the build-up to this weekend's Japanese GP after a 'special meeting' was called to discuss the Brit's 'antics' out on track.

WOW....where are all the Lewis haters now? Ferrari and Massa are pathetic. So happy Massa's race was the one that was "destroyed".

I think the language used by Ferrari was not... Appropriate. However, as a team sport, it is OK to block and defend your line. By saying that, I'm not taking side of LH, but point out the obvious. Ferrari and Renault (Benetton) often play dirty to score as many points as they can, and just last month, Ferrari stated that they want to beat McLaren in points.

It is a sign of desperation from Ferrari. Their biggest mistake was to push our Brawn and Schuy and they are now paying the price.

Over reaction guys. Massa was asked to destroy Hamilton's race strategy, not the man or car! At least please remember that English is not their first language.

For a deeper understanding of the F1 world, and one of the best blogs about it please read this blog -

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/

Joe Saward's understanding and behind the scenes knowledge is outstanding.

Why some guys hate so much Scuderia?It is most famous F1 team and it's synonyme for racing and sports cars.

In Australia we call it the "tall poppy syndrome". If it is the top player you boo it, and cheer for the underdog.

But you only need to remember that through the Todt years the FIA was called "Ferrari International Racing" because of the perceived, and very real, favouritism it received from the FIA during the late nineties and through most of this century.

And M. Schumacher did not endear himself to many with some of his driving antics during this same period.

In Australia we call it the "tall poppy syndrome". If it is the top player you boo it, and cheer for the underdog.

But you only need to remember that through the Todt years the FIA was called "Ferrari International Racing" because of the perceived, and very real, favouritism it received from the FIA during the late nineties and through most of this century.

And M. Schumacher did not endear himself to many with some of his driving antics during this same period.

Ferrari International Assistance ;)

I agree whit majority of your words especially "tall poppy syndrome".

Last edited:
Back